CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   LT1 Based Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/)
-   -   Do optis typically break this way?(pic) (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/do-optis-typically-break-way-pic-306286/)

turbo_Z 10-02-2004 09:37 PM

Do optis typically break this way?(pic)

My opti never really gave me much trouble till today when it shut off going to work. After figuring out it was most likely the opti I went a head and pulled it off to see what might have went wrong. Here is what broke! As you can see the copper peice on the rotor that distributes spark just busted clean off... sounded like a couple of rocks bouncing around in my opti.:( Too bad b/c this opti looked brand new inside.. well till I destroyed it taking off the cap but thats a completely different issue.

brad20653 10-02-2004 09:41 PM

Re: Do optis typically break this way?(pic)

I bought a brand new GM opti that did that 2 weeks after install, took it back complained called gm in detroit couldnt belive it they had a gm shop install a new one for me.

Z95m6 10-02-2004 09:54 PM

i know your getting a new opti Brad, but i would see if i could get a junk opti from someone else. Then take the rotor out of it as that seems like the only thing wrong with that one. Then you'd have a spare. Just an idea.

EddieP 10-02-2004 09:55 PM

That's what one of mine did - same think happened twice to a friend of mine. Those plastic rivets holding the rotor like to break off!

turbo_Z 10-02-2004 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Z95m6
i know your getting a new opti Brad, but i would see if i could get a junk opti from someone else. Then take the rotor out of it as that seems like the only thing wrong with that one. Then you'd have a spare. Just an idea.

Thats not a bad idea as long as teh junk opti has a bearing or optical sensor failure.

atljar 10-02-2004 11:31 PM

Ya Ive seen that happen a few times. Cars that rev super fast will actually fling that off and implode inside the housing breaking everything. ON your new opti, just go over the rotor/plastic rivits with black RTV. Its not a cure all, but it may help a little. The opti requires a inverse torx to take apart.

30696bird 10-03-2004 01:56 AM

I have two I will GIVE you one if you wanna try it. LMK. :)

S8ER95Z 10-03-2004 11:16 AM

My Rotor melted and did the same exact thing. I just got the Napa cap and rotor for ~100 bucks and rebuilt it. Never had any problems since.

BeaversTA 10-03-2004 01:11 PM

just JB weld that bitch back on.

turbo_Z 10-03-2004 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by BeaversTA
just JB weld that bitch back on.

Yeah i would had I known at head of time how you are supposed to take the opti appart. I ended up busted off the rotor thinking the cap was supposed to come off first. :o

Z95m6 10-03-2004 05:49 PM

i don't think the rotor is balanced from the factory but i don't know if its a good idea to add a lot of extra mass like jb weld to the rotor to make it even more out of balance. Just a thought. :confused:

BeaversTA 10-04-2004 04:24 PM

I used JB weld for about 1K miles then the rotor turned to dust at about 6500 RPM.

BoobSter-lt1-z 10-04-2004 11:50 PM

After purchasing my car....6months later my car sputtered really bad and made a whining sound (i thought i had a supercharged in it) and then died 35miles away from home...had it towed to shop...found out that the Opti had somehow overheated and melted around the rotor area and burnt up....

SlowAssTA 10-05-2004 02:14 AM

mine did the same thing..