LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Delteq: my install story

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 05:34 PM

Delteq: my install story

I started buying a used Delteq system with MSD DIS-4 box all wired from another board member. System came directly off his running race car.
Before I could install it, my car began to run poorly. It was skipping, breaking up – and getting worse. Finally dropped it off at my mechanic/friends garage and the car barely wanted to start or run at all.
So my friend installs all the parts – which were still plugged together as much as possible – and read the diagram for the rest.
Easy install except for the new plugs and routing the wires.
First try – crank over, no start.
The Delteq “opti box” had it’s LED pulse light to indicate synchronizing with my opti sensor.
The MSD box did not have and LED pulse light.
So we tried to direct wire the MSD – now the car cranked, popped as if starting, then died. Needed to cycle the key off and on to get the car to pop again – still no start.
I call JC Hyde at Delteq. I explained how I bought this used with the MSD.
He asked a few basic trouble shoot questions then called my friend at his garage.
They did some quick testing and were stumped and needed to speak again.
JC had him remove the opti box to read the number to him.
At this point – with the box reinstalled, when he jiggled the wire harness from the opti box, my car acted like the ignition was turned on! It engaged the fans and fuel waiting for start – but why?
So he eliminated the PCM and the opti box and finally found a contact terminal in the Delteq harness plug was disfigured. After correcting that – no more jiggling wire issue, but stll no start.
JC says ok - sends a new harness, opti box and opti simulator without charge.
The parts arrive and JC was not available to ask what to try – so we put on the new harness and opti box. The car starts right up and runs great!!!
We shut it of, wait – starts up every time.
Just for fun we put my first opti box back on – car starts right up again!
So – somehow, between removing from one car, packing and installing on my car – the Delteq harness went bad. I’ll be sending it back to JC for him to evaluate – in the postage paid envelope he provided.
My thoughts: The Delteq system is of debate and has been judged good and bad. I feel it is good out of the box or given proper time to diagnose any issues.
I also STRONLY feel the support JC offered made the whole thing come together.
While it is impossible to effectively solve an electrical problem over the phone, JC knew right where to look and about the car’s function – even with the MSD.

I so far only have 20 miles on it – but the car runs great and overall it was easy to do.
Is Delteq right for you? Maybe – but you can give it a try with confidence that if it can work, JC will make it happen.
Big thanks also to Chris Bailey for his trouble shooting help after selling me the set up used. My mechanic, JC and Chris really helped me through a high investment install that others would have failed to persevere.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:22 AM
Administrator

When you make a mistake in a post, you don't need to delete it and make a new post.... you can just "EDIT" the first one.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:54 AM

Did you replace the opti with a new one or use your old one with or without the rotor?
Old 10-13-2007, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
When you make a mistake in a post, you don't need to delete it and make a new post.... you can just "EDIT" the first one.
I tried to edit but I mispelled " Delteq" in the topic line. I saw no way to correct the topic, and with that spelling error - a search would not have found Delteq.
Old 10-13-2007, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by rob97ss
Did you replace the opti with a new one or use your old one with or without the rotor?
Due to time and labor cost restraints - I just tried the set up with my old opti. I have a new GM opti I plan to remove the rotor and install.
At least I know that it will be worthwhile.

Today I got some more drive time and it runs very smooth through all rpm's and idles better.
Of course new plugs, cap and rotor may well have fixed my problem - but I considered the Delteq/MSD as an upgrade before my car even started to run poorly. It bailed me out of an opti change for the time being.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:14 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by chief455
Due to time and labor cost restraints - I just tried the set up with my old opti. I have a new GM opti I plan to remove the rotor and install.
At least I know that it will be worthwhile.

Today I got some more drive time and it runs very smooth through all rpm's and idles better.
Of course new plugs, cap and rotor may well have fixed my problem - but I considered the Delteq/MSD as an upgrade before my car even started to run poorly. It bailed me out of an opti change for the time being.

Good luck,one of my future upgrades down the road..
Old 10-13-2007, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by chief455
I tried to edit but I mispelled " Delteq" in the topic line. I saw no way to correct the topic, and with that spelling error - a search would not have found Delteq.
When you are in the "EDIT" screen, click "go advanced" and you will get the "title" line for editing...... unless that's just something that comes up on my Moderators screen.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:49 PM

I'm glad to hear everything is working as intended. I am still stumped how something in the t-harness went bad in the short time it was off my car, shipped to you, and installed on yours.

Personally I thought that the two step was the best part of the whole system.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by TQdrivenws6
I'm glad to hear everything is working as intended. I am still stumped how something in the t-harness went bad in the short time it was off my car, shipped to you, and installed on yours.

Personally I thought that the two step was the best part of the whole system.
Aftermarket parts = new issues to diagnose

I'll try to get a timeslip this year, only 2 weekends left! I'll get the 2-step and ABS delete/line lock on for next year.
For now I'm happy it's running well again.
Thanks again for your help