LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Cost of mod work???

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 03:04 PM

Cost of mod work???

Just so I dont have a heart attack when I go to pick up my car, what are some average prices for having a shop do installs??
This is what I had done=
Pacesetter long tube headers
Pacesetter off road y-pipe
electric waterpump
3200 torque converter
removal and tune of pcm/and reinstall
What have some of yall paid for these/ besides those of you that are able to do yourselves?
Old 11-10-2011, 03:10 PM

Re: Cost of mod work???

I would think you're looking at spending at least $1,000.

Headers and y-pipe, I paid $600 to have installed
Electric waterpump, I'm doing myself but will prolly cost about $150-$200
Stall, probably $250-$300 for having to pull the trans and fill it back up with fluid
Tune is probably $150

That's about $1200. Idk what the shop's labor rate is so I might be off. But that should give you a slight idea.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:12 PM

I'd reckon that'd be pretty expensive. Probably an easy 20 hours of work. I'd guess $1500-2500, but then again I wouldn't employ a shop to do those installations. Maybe the torque converter, but that's because I'd rather sit in front of a computer at work then bust my knuckles all weekend.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:17 PM

Headers really are not as hard to do yourself as people make them out to be.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:17 PM

It was either a shop or doing myself(no tools, no idea how to work on LT1s) with my brother in law and cousin Travis. These are county boys that work on old beat up Blazers for mudding, you know duct tape, bailing wire, welding **** together any way they can kinda guys!! Plus all gravel driveways and just grass here, no concrete to lift car up. And it would be we get to it when we can kinda time frame. Was figuring labor around a grand or so. Plus gives me peace of mind that we didnt do something wrong, and it break, then I end up paying someone to do it again and fix what we screwed up
Old 11-10-2011, 03:20 PM

Just curious as to the cost of the labor, parts not included. Those I already know. After having the car for a while, im sure I'll pick up alot of knowledge on here as to how to go about doing my own mods.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by bencher
It was either a shop or doing myself(no tools, no idea how to work on LT1s) with my brother in law and cousin Travis. These are county boys that work on old beat up Blazers for mudding, you know duct tape, bailing wire, welding **** together any way they can kinda guys!! Plus all gravel driveways and just grass here, no concrete to lift car up. And it would be we get to it when we can kinda time frame. Was figuring labor around a grand or so. Plus gives me peace of mind that we didnt do something wrong, and it break, then I end up paying someone to do it again and fix what we screwed up
and what makes you think they did it right?? i did mine myself and ya it was a PITA but i know its done right and i know i saved about 600$. just because they are a mechanic does not mean they are not going to do a half *** job. my buddy took his car to the shop for plugs and he got back to realize they only did the driver side and charged him for 8 hours of labor and did not touch the pass. side. he said he will never go to a shop again unless he had to. and both of us are 19-20 years old and we managed to do longtubes on both our cars together
Old 11-10-2011, 07:49 PM

and also with the money spent on labor you could have bought a jack, jackstands and basic tools needed to get the job done
Old 11-10-2011, 07:58 PM

Both good points. As I said, as I get more into this I will learn how to do some mods myself. Time involved at the moment is a big issue. Two jobs, 3 kids, 2 of which have sports 4 days a week. So spending hours over several days under a car is not an option right now. Later, during slower family times I will def tackle some of my own work. I have seen these guys work, on both hteir own cars and on customers, I have confidence. He will not take any money untill I am satisfied with everything. I tried paying for things he has finished and he refused till whole job is done and im satisfied.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:30 PM

I caution people about having a modified car they don't know how to work on because you may not always be able to get the car to that one shop.

The guys at Pomps do my tires and alignment, but they know me and actually ask me for help in modding their own vehicles. I can't imagine the reaction I would get if I brought my car to a dealer out of town or something. Might be worth trying just for comedic value.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by bencher
Was figuring labor around a grand or so.
Personally, that seems cheap as ****. I paid about $600 to have my clutch installed in my SS, and a torque converter should be almost as much work. I'd be surprised if you get out of there under $1500.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:29 PM

You should take a asprin before you go to pick your car up. Easy $2200-2500. Let us know. Good luck
Old 11-10-2011, 11:02 PM

Wish you were closer just did a clutch,longtubes and y pipe, full tune up,opti, intake, and reharnessed a 96 to a 94 setup for 500 bucks and the kid I did it for praises me everyday that his car runs mint. Its all fairly easy stuff. Wish I had the tools to do ECM tuning cause I would do it pretty cheap also

Phil
Old 11-11-2011, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by undecidedfbody
Wish you were closer just did a clutch,longtubes and y pipe, full tune up,opti, intake, and reharnessed a 96 to a 94 setup for 500 bucks and the kid I did it for praises me everyday that his car runs mint. Its all fairly easy stuff. Wish I had the tools to do ECM tuning cause I would do it pretty cheap also

Phil
You work cheap, my time is worth more to me than that and I don't consider myself an expert mechanic.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:56 AM

You and me both I just know a couple of things. But I like to help people out that are in a bad way. It's like giving back to the community, but in this case the average car guy. I wish I had one of me to work on my car, cause it still ain't done ::

Quick Reply: Cost of mod work???