CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   LT1 Based Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/)
-   -   Cold air intake need advice. (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/cold-air-intake-need-advice-887266/)

Robert Dikes 02-18-2019 08:41 PM

Cold air intake need advice.

I have a 95 camero z28. From what I believe it has the stock morrso air intake which goes in the fender well. Now my ? Is is it better to get one the sets under the hood eater than inn fender well Or does it matter? Thanks

Phoenix'97 02-18-2019 10:22 PM

Re: Cold air intake need advice.

Originally Posted by Robert Dikes (Post 7001878)
I have a 95 camero z28. From what I believe it has the stock morrso air intake which goes in the fender well. Now my ? Is is it better to get one the sets under the hood eater than inn fender well Or does it matter? Thanks

It is personal preference and really dependent on where you live, like if you live in a place where flooding is common and you happen to drive your car into some deep water that puts your air intake in a very bad place for a running engine! This would be your motivation to modify the car to have a higher mounted air cleaner assembly. Otherwise, the stock cold-air moroso intake should be fine! Short of driving into deep flood water, the air filter has ample protection from rain/snow/sand/road debris and has access to the cooler air that slips past the vents on the front under body panel underneath the fender.

Injuneer 02-19-2019 09:07 AM

The Moroso CAI was never available as a “stock” component. It is aftermarket. The design was developed by Callaway for use on their 383ci LT1 engine package, and sold as the “Honker”. Then the design was sold to Moroso.

Phoenix'97 02-19-2019 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer (Post 7001885)
The Moroso CAI was never available as a “stock” component. It is aftermarket. The design was developed by Callaway for use on their 383ci LT1 engine package, and sold as the “Honker”. Then the design was sold to Moroso.

@Robert Dikes
Well, if this cold air intake was good enough for a Callaway 383 LT1 then it should be more than sufficient for your engine!

Injuneer 02-19-2019 12:43 PM

The Callaway 383ci LT1 engine was 50-state emissions legal, but only made 400 HP at the flywheel. 20+ years later, with ported stock heads, the correct cam, and supporting mods (headers, throttle body, injectors, tune, etc.), a 355ci LT1 can make 500 HP at the flywheel. At that point, the popular CAI's are not the best solution.

1badasZ 02-19-2019 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer (Post 7001890)
The Callaway 383ci LT1 engine was 50-state emissions legal, but only made 400 HP at the flywheel. 20+ years later, with ported stock heads, the correct cam, and supporting mods (headers, throttle body, injectors, tune, etc.), a 355ci LT1 can make 500 HP at the flywheel. At that point, the popular CAI's are not the best solution.

what is recommended at that point

Phoenix'97 02-19-2019 07:17 PM

Well, if you can't get any more air from the cold air intake, I would think forced induction would be the next step! I can't imagine a ram air box set-up giving you any more benefit if the cold air intake has already been maxed out in providing air to the engine.

Injuneer 02-19-2019 09:57 PM

My Ram Air setup adequately supplies 496 HP at the flywheel, proven on both engine and chassis dyno. The grilles are normally removed, the upper and lower baffles have been cut out of the hood (not good for rain), the grid has been removed from the top of the air box, the air box top opening has been maxed out, K&N panel filter, runs speed-density so no MAF obstruction, smooth Fernco coupling to 58mm throttle body. And the outlet of the air box is a great place to mount the two NOS fan-jet nozzles for the dry 300-shot.

The guys that built the engine didn't like the CAI. They tried a smooth metal elbow from the CAI to the throttle body, no improvement. To me it was a good excuse to buy the the SLP hood and air box. They still didn’t like the baffles in the hood, so we cut those out. Funny thing was they told me the 58mm TB was overkill, and were able to show me on the engine dyno that the TB was supplying all the air the engine could use when the throttle was only 70% open. Opening it 100% didn’t increase HP.

LT5 02-20-2019 08:33 AM

Yeah i read about that, thats 1 reason i am sticking with the stocker and the tb air foil till i build my engine. Then there is the mono blade one lol. On the cold air intake i have a K and N and let me tell you its complete ****. The thing is not desighned well, does not fit for crap, the filter hits metal down in the hole...im going to try and get the RK sport intake for the hood they make and run a 1 le elbow, the trick flow elbow is garbage and does not ever fit right, also once its on it seems to misalighn no matter what i do. Honestly there is another post we did about this that i asked about. Ram air or an ls1 box or direct filter to the maf and short intake seems to be best. But i did have the moroso before on my 93 and it was an excellent piece. Just watch out for water lol.