CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   LT1 Based Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/)
-   -   code 16 (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/code-16-a-365780/)

350 HRSS 05-09-2005 12:18 PM

code 16

My Scanmaster had a dtc of 16 registered yesterday. I did not have a SES light. The car had been running fine, so why would it give me this code? Is this a warning of what is to come? :confused:

This opti has about 25k on it. I disconnected the neg. battery cable and let it set about 10 minutes or so. Reconnected it, and cranked it. The code was gone. I let it idle about a minute or so, and the code did not reappear.

Do I need to drive it to see if it will come back? Is this just one of those random codes the LT1 cars throw out? I have had an 18 before, and there was nothing wrong w/ the pcm? But I reset it and it went away as well.

Is this something I need to worry about? This is an OBD1 car-95Z.

Hopnig for replies!

Thanks!

mike96lt1 05-09-2005 12:31 PM

Re: code 16

Code 16 is OptiSpark low resolution pulse not found, means your opti is on its way out. Mine just threw that code last night :mad:

Injuneer 05-09-2005 12:54 PM

It's not unusual to see DTC 16 as a "stored" code, even with a healthy Opti. It appears to set sometimes when the PCM has a hard time finding the low res pulse from the Opti on startup. Clearing it was a good idea. Just check periodically to see how soon it comes back. If its a frequent problem, could be Opti trouble ahead. Could also be a problem with the Opti harness connector.

If it was an "active" code, the engine wouldn't be running. The PCM shuts down the fuel system if its an active code.

Save yourself some grief when clearing the codes. Pull the "PCM BAT" fuse for 30 seconds.

350 HRSS 05-09-2005 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
It's not unusual to see DTC 16 as a "stored" code, even with a healthy Opti. It appears to set sometimes when the PCM has a hard time finding the low res pulse from the Opti on startup. Clearing it was a good idea. Just check periodically to see how soon it comes back. If its a frequent problem, could be Opti trouble ahead. Could also be a problem with the Opti harness connector.

If it was an "active" code, the engine wouldn't be running. The PCM shuts down the fuel system if its an active code.

Save yourself some grief when clearing the codes. Pull the "PCM BAT" fuse for 30 seconds.

I agree w/ you on the going out. The stock Opti was in for 70k miles. I replaced it when I did my second cam. To save crap down the road. I replaced it w/ a GM Opti. How could it be going out so young in life? lol

I figured it couldn't have been running as good as it was if that code was real.
I hope that doesn't happen to me somewhere out and about. I will keep a check on it.

Thank you both for the replies!