CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   LT1 Based Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/)
-   -   chrome moly pushrods get scarred up from guideplates? (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/chrome-moly-pushrods-get-scarred-up-guideplates-306433/)

97s10ondubs 10-03-2004 04:07 PM

chrome moly pushrods get scarred up from guideplates?

Im getting the LE2 setup done, the heads have been sent out, im looking now for all the supporting parts, the car will have guide plates and i was looking at chrome moly pushrods but read that guide plates will scratch the chrome moly pushrods and cause them to fail. The site said that case hardened is what you need to use. I this true? Also what would be a good case hardened set to get, I'm really going overkill on the top end cause I dont want anything to break.

Spinner 10-03-2004 04:10 PM

Re: chrome moly pushrods get scarred up from guideplates?

Chromoly pushrods should be much harder then standard hardened pushrods.

SStrokerAce 10-03-2004 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by 97s10ondubs
Im getting the LE2 setup done, the heads have been sent out, im looking now for all the supporting parts, the car will have guide plates and i was looking at chrome moly pushrods but read that guide plates will scratch the chrome moly pushrods and cause them to fail. The site said that case hardened is what you need to use. I this true? Also what would be a good case hardened set to get, I'm really going overkill on the top end cause I dont want anything to break.

A good pushrod like a Hi Tech Comp pushrod is case hardened. BTW a guideplate should also be hardened too. That's why you don't grind away on guideplates to make them fit. That will go thru the case hardening and eat away at either the PR or the guideplate.

So make sure you get some Bowtie guideplates and some good Hi Tech pushrods.

Bret

97s10ondubs 10-03-2004 05:27 PM

^ ok where do i get them from

91l98z28 10-09-2004 10:25 PM

Will grinding anywhere on a guideplate damage them?

I have comp hi-tech pushrods and isky adjustable guideplates (i had to get adjustables for my application), and a few had to be ground on...one or two to clear the washer on my arp head studs... no grinding near the pushrod slot, though.

Originally Posted by SStrokerAce
That's why you don't grind away on guideplates to make them fit. That will go thru the case hardening and eat away at either the PR or the guideplate.

Bret

Spinner 10-09-2004 11:15 PM

Only near where they rub would it hurt. The hardening is a surface coat, once you grind past it, it isnt there. As long as its not around the slot, its ok