CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   LT1 Based Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/)
-   -   ceramic coating on headers? (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/ceramic-coating-headers-401151/)

crazypurgatory 10-03-2005 12:14 PM

ceramic coating on headers?

I ran into a friend of mine I have not seen in a couple of months and was talking to him about get my SLP headers ceramic coated.
He told me that they would be fine till you get water splashed on them the the coating will crack and come off.
Can this be True?
Has anybody had this problem?
Thanks,

Chris G.

Schweet97Z 10-03-2005 12:27 PM

Re: ceramic coating on headers?

your friend is a moron......i have ceramic coated long tubes, and they have seen water w/ minimal defects (some surface rust) only because ive scrapped leaving steep hills which took the coating off ;)

Birdman7389 10-03-2005 12:28 PM

Over time, the coating WILL discolor and start to peel crack. I have had JET-Hot, and whatever Pacesetter uses, and they both perform the same.

They will look great from the top, but on the bottom they will peel.

I still say the coating is a must on 4thgens.

crazypurgatory 10-03-2005 12:50 PM

Well Do you think I need the coat the SLP shortes?
They are stainless steel so rust won't be a problem.
I was thinking of getting them coated pretty much so I don't get more heat under the hood.
What do these headers look after a couple of years on the car do they change colour?
I would love to put these things on now that I have time but if they are going to put more heat in the engine bay then maybe I should Waite till I can get them coated.
What do you think?
Thanks,

Chris G.

tfs95z28 10-03-2005 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Birdman7389
Over time, the coating WILL discolor and start to peel crack. I have had JET-Hot, and whatever Pacesetter uses, and they both perform the same.

They will look great from the top, but on the bottom they will peel.

Is that a defect that it peels at the bottom? My MAC y-pipe with JET-HOT coating is doing this. Can i get any sort of reimbursement for this?

Red on Red WS6 10-03-2005 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by crazypurgatory
Well Do you think I need the coat the SLP shortes?
They are stainless steel so rust won't be a problem.
I was thinking of getting them coated pretty much so I don't get more heat under the hood.
What do these headers look after a couple of years on the car do they change colour?
I would love to put these things on now that I have time but if they are going to put more heat in the engine bay then maybe I should Waite till I can get them coated.
What do you think?
Thanks,

Chris G.

I would get the coating because those headers will still get surface rust.

fokwolfe95 10-03-2005 07:57 PM

If there ever were a header that you could get away with not coating it is the SLPs. But coating them will help everything near 'em in terms of heat. Also, with those expensive SLPs you might wanna protect the investment.

silverz28 10-03-2005 09:04 PM

Jet Hot has a 3 year warranty on the coatings. I sent mine back to Jet Hot after about 5 years and they recoated the headers and Y pipe for half price, $114. They still looked good when I sent them but just wanted a new coating. The Y pipe was scraped up and the coating falling off but the headers were just a little discolored.

1racerdude 10-03-2005 09:39 PM

Stainless don't need coating. Yes the stainless will shed it's coating in a year or two,it just can't stick to the stainless like mild steel.

Robs97Z28 10-03-2005 09:51 PM

I'm running these headers and I bought them used for to $240. They are coated and are in great condition (no peeling). These run really close to the heater box. It would be a HUGE mistake, if you didn't get these headers coated. You will also need to buy the heat shield from slp. it is only $20. They are easy to install but taking off the stockers was a pain.

lt11997 10-03-2005 11:25 PM

The purpose of coating the headers is to reduce the underhood temperatures. And in two years you want them recoated you just send them to Jet-Hot, all you pay for is shipping. I think coating headers is a must on any vehicle.

1racerdude 10-03-2005 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by lt11997
The purpose of coating the headers is to reduce the underhood temperatures. And in two years you want them recoated you just send them to Jet-Hot, all you pay for is shipping. I think coating headers is a must on any vehicle.

Ya sure they got that guarantee for stainless when they know it won't stay on.

96trans am 10-05-2005 10:31 AM

I was running the SLP shorty headers, ceramic coated, and i could a swore they looked almost chrome when i first put them on. Over time, a couple years later, they turned into a grayish color. Also there were some brown spots throughout the header which i think was due to something burning on the headers. I think LT1's run pretty damn hot and would be smart to run the headers coated in my opinion. Also when i puchased my headers thats what SLP told me as well. Could have told me this to make a few extra dollars, i dont know. To add on to that, look at headers that were not ceramic coated, god there ugly lol. -Matt

crazypurgatory 10-05-2005 10:56 AM

Well it looks like I have to bite the bullet and wait till I get a JOB and have them coated.
How does that fire sleeve work on the AC in the corner?
IE how does it go on?
If any body knows about the fire sleeve let me know. :)
Thanks for all the input. :thumb:

Chris G.

Robs97Z28 10-05-2005 10:09 PM

I use 3M spray on glue and put on the ac box and the blanket. I also use some aluminum flu tape.