LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Sweet Thunder after cutout install!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 03:42 PM

Thumbs up Sweet Thunder after cutout install!!!

I had my cutout installed this morning and I couldn't be happier! It sounds great just like I wanted it too. I was afraid that since I still have the stock manifolds and duel cats that it would not be much louder than my borla style exhaust. Well I was dead wrong. Placed it in the most common area before the axle and rotated slighty up into the resess in the floor board for ground clearence. At idle and cruise there is not a whole lot of difference but as soon as you put a load on the engine it really starts screaming. The sound inside is much quiter than expected and I can feel the exhaust pulses through my seat when I accelerate as well. I am 110% happy with it and I hope to test it out at the track this weekend weather permitting. Just wanted to share my story incase there is anyone that is on the verge but still not sure. If you like loud and deep exhausts that you can feel as well as hear, then this is one sure fire way to get it. Thanks for reading.

I think it is about time to loose that cap for good....
Old 02-20-2003, 04:42 PM

well, i have a stock exhaust system and i install a cutout...i love it too, but i might lose a little tq, but i gain more HP...i was happy too until now
Old 02-20-2003, 06:41 PM

Glad you like it, the cutout provided a nice gain @ the track with my setup. For me after a while it got old though, I can't stand the interior resonance anymore. Pretty soon I'll be ditching my catback setup in exchange for an SLP 2OTL catback.
Old 02-20-2003, 06:46 PM

I had the cutout on my car with 3'' cat back system. I hated the noise inside the cabin. Since then Ive changed my exhaust a little bit. I put a Dynomax bullet right @ the I pipe and put the cutout after it. Basically my entire exhaust system ends underneath my car with no pipes showing in the rear. It sounds so good. Its about the best setup Ive heard. Alot of people are doing something similar to this with the loudmouths and calling the DYNOMOUTH CAT BACKS. This IMO is the way to go.

Glad you enjoy your new sound!
Old 02-20-2003, 07:04 PM

I was actually contemplating doing this!! Wow, people have already done it...
Old 02-20-2003, 07:07 PM

Originally posted by 96cam4ro
I was actually contemplating doing this!! Wow, people have already done it...
DO IT. You will not be disappointed. It sounds great! I wish I had a sound clip so I could let you hear it.

I changed my exhaust several times looking for that right sound and I have recently found what I had been looking for!
Old 02-20-2003, 07:32 PM

Yee haw.... I like mine too.... I do cap it once in a while, as the noise becomes unbearable with the windows up...

I have the SLP 2OTL cat-back too, so it sounds good with or without the cutout open

-Michael
Old 02-20-2003, 08:23 PM

Just today I was working on my car and removed the stock cat-back system. Will be running like that till I have the time to install my B&B exhuast. The sound is just awsome. - Was sitting at a light and a little old grand-am (80's) revved there engine with there import can still muffler and so I revved mine.. LOL Both the driver and pass. turned around in amazment. It was great! Will definately have a cutout installed after I get everything said and done with my exhaust.
Old 02-20-2003, 08:31 PM

Originally posted by LT1ponykilla
I had the cutout on my car with 3'' cat back system. I hated the noise inside the cabin. Since then Ive changed my exhaust a little bit. I put a Dynomax bullet right @ the I pipe and put the cutout after it. Basically my entire exhaust system ends underneath my car with no pipes showing in the rear. It sounds so good. Its about the best setup Ive heard. Alot of people are doing something similar to this with the loudmouths and calling the DYNOMOUTH CAT BACKS. This IMO is the way to go.

Glad you enjoy your new sound!
I also have a bullet, I have stock manifolds and a single gutted cat, I have the larger bullet, there is about 4mm clearance to my driveshaft with it, then a small 2 3/4 or 1/2 cutout. and a flow out back, I loved the cutout alone at wot but the idle sounded like an old ford truck so I put the bullet on and its like damn now, perfect tone and loudness. now that I have a cam im thinkin about gettin rid of the bullet, but when I get headers im afraid it will sound too loud, especially with the 3500 stall thats to come.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:23 PM

Those Bullet mufflers deepin and clear up the exhaust note of a cutout. I almost did the same thing before i went with duals.
Old 02-20-2003, 10:02 PM

Re: Sweet Thunder after cutout install!!!

Originally posted by acayson
I had my cutout installed this morning and I couldn't be happier! It sounds great just like I wanted it too. I was afraid that since I still have the stock manifolds and duel cats that it would not be much louder than my borla style exhaust. Well I was dead wrong. Placed it in the most common area before the axle and rotated slighty up into the resess in the floor board for ground clearence. At idle and cruise there is not a whole lot of difference but as soon as you put a load on the engine it really starts screaming. The sound inside is much quiter than expected and I can feel the exhaust pulses through my seat when I accelerate as well. I am 110% happy with it and I hope to test it out at the track this weekend weather permitting. Just wanted to share my story incase there is anyone that is on the verge but still not sure. If you like loud and deep exhausts that you can feel as well as hear, then this is one sure fire way to get it. Thanks for reading.

I think it is about time to loose that cap for good....
Glad to hear you like it. So you gonna run it open all the time?
Old 02-21-2003, 05:14 PM

Bullets are awesome. I wouldnt want in any other way. The cutout sounded like a$$ to me with it open. Having the bullet before it gave it the perfect sound. Im very pleased with it.
Old 02-25-2003, 08:27 PM

Talking

I was gonna run a dynomouth setup with a carsound cat and a cutout before the cat? Is that a bad idea? I thought you were supposed to put them before the cat? Let me know. Thanks, Michael
Old 02-25-2003, 08:46 PM

Originally posted by fozziez28
I was gonna run a dynomouth setup with a carsound cat and a cutout before the cat? Is that a bad idea? I thought you were supposed to put them before the cat? Let me know. Thanks, Michael
The cutouts are suppose to be before all the mufflers and cats and stuff but the sound of that gets annoying after a while. Past 3k rpms i never got tired of the cutout but the 800-2500rpm it sounded like a truck with no muffler. Thus the reason to put the bullet muffler before the cutout. All the bullet does is smooth out the sound of the cutout and you hear more of the deep sound your car is really putting out. Its not gonna cost you any HP because its straight through.
Old 02-26-2003, 04:39 PM

Yep thats true. You can actually put the bullet where you I pipe is and cut the rest of the pipes off. There is no point of even having the cutout then. Thats what Im about to do. That will also cut out about 25lbs of pipe from underneath the car. The main reason I did it like that is to see how it would sound. I didnt like the cutout open with the way I had it setup before. But with the bullet where the cat used to be sounds great.

Quick Reply: Sweet Thunder after cutout install!!!