LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

cam install done;ran fine for a day, now wont start

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 05:55 PM

Angry cam install done;ran fine for a day, now wont start

finally got my 306 cam, headers, cloyes double roller, electric w/p installed sunday. Car started right up, no leaks or probs at all. Drove it all day sunday, no probs., car really pulls like a **** now!! Drove it to work this morning, letting some buds hear the cam, I reved it to bout 5k or so and it idled down then died. Tried to restart it and random firing, then a LOUD a$$ bang out of exhaust pipe (actually blew off the thunderacing s-pipe, planning on welding it tomm.). I smell gas bad, pulled plugs out(new ones) dried em with a heat gun, still nothing, very random fire, then another boom out the exhaust. Had a freind pull me and tried to start it that way and nothing. I did notice coolant coming from somewhere. not sure where yet. How can I check the opti to see if its bad or not?? I dont want to pull the front half of this motor off again My opti has been wet a few times with no trouble at all. And yes, the coolant was around the opti, but nothing major. I'm fixing to check to see if the plugs are getting fire now, just got it towed home and on stands now, wanted to get this ? on here quick as possible. By the way, this thing sounds like a freakin 9sec. ride, real, real, nice lope This is really pissing me off, it was running perfect this morning, start right up, idle bout 1100, just a little cam surge if ya dont rev some befor u take off but other than that this thing is the ****. I want to specialy thank shoebox for all the help and anyone else who helped me. If it wasnt for this board I prob. would have never modded this thing at all. Hummm. maybe I shouldnt have became a member, I'd have bout 10k still in my pocket, oh well, u cant take it with ya. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-31-2003, 06:13 PM

Did you have your PCM reprogrammed for the cam? This cam is way too big for the stock PCM. I had to have mine reprogrammed after I installed my 306, never had any issues from it since.
Old 03-31-2003, 06:25 PM

pcmforless programming. Like I said car started on the first crank, ran perfect for exactly 55 miles. No ses lights before it happened, it just wont fire. Can u scan the car with it not running? You might get 2 or three "fires" out of it while cranking but thats is it, it backfired 3 times out the exhaust VERY loudly on a few of the cranks??? If its not getting fire how can it pop out the exhaust?? and pissed!!! Had a good race tonight with a novi-charged stang too, this is gonna make me look like I'm backing out now!!
Old 03-31-2003, 06:34 PM

Sounds like you're getting gas but no spark. Have you checked to make sure your getting a good spark?
Old 03-31-2003, 06:37 PM

just got started on it, let ya'll know soon. Keep the answers coming please, BRB!!!
Old 03-31-2003, 06:42 PM

reving the motor that high with no load on it is a bad idea... stuff will break. maybe you jumped a tooth on your timing chain??
Old 03-31-2003, 07:14 PM

alright, pulled no. 1 plug, grounded it with wire on to the ground lug on coil, cranked motor, no spark. Where to start now? Getting fuel for sure. Yea, yea, I know I shouldnt have revved it that high with no load on it, ya know how ya get with a new toy and friends around But i cant see it jumping a tooth with a 5k rev???? Not saying its not possible though.
Old 03-31-2003, 07:37 PM

checked all fuses, fine. How can I determine if its the opti, coil or ICM?? Dont wanna start just throwing stuff on. Keep the replies coming!!!!
Old 03-31-2003, 09:12 PM

Check your opti. If the cam dowel pin is too long it will ruin the opti. Happened to me.
Old 03-31-2003, 09:19 PM

Make sure you are getting power to the coil on the pink wire. You can also try this.
Old 03-31-2003, 09:51 PM

the dowel pin is the same length as the factory one,had to cut it to fit but I'm sure its the same length. Shoebox, I checked out your link a while ago and I'll give it a try tomm. Going to bed now, sick of screwing with this car for the moment, I want to drive it!!
Old 04-02-2003, 12:21 AM

shoeboxI followed your test on your tech page about testing the icm connector. The A term. had 2.12 and the D term. had 1.87. Thats way off from what your readings say they should be. Does this mean opti or module?? I'm assuming opti from what I got out of your page but just wanted more opinons on this before I order parts. Car has 80k on it, factory opti. 4 w/p's have on it and a couple of car wash sprays, think i should just replace it any way?? thanks again, Chris
Old 04-02-2003, 08:45 AM

Originally posted by kirschman
shoeboxI followed your test on your tech page about testing the icm connector. The A term. had 2.12 and the D term. had 1.87. Thats way off from what your readings say they should be. Does this mean opti or module?? I'm assuming opti from what I got out of your page but just wanted more opinons on this before I order parts. Car has 80k on it, factory opti. 4 w/p's have on it and a couple of car wash sprays, think i should just replace it any way?? thanks again, Chris
If you don't have power on those terminals, you need to chase back toward the coil and the IGN fuse. You did check the IGN fuse, right? In the diagram, the power comes from the fuse to the coil and then to the ICM harness. You could have a bad fuse, wiring/connection from fuse to coil, bad coil, wiring/connection from coil to ICM. Maybe not as bad as you think.
Old 04-02-2003, 07:59 PM

thanks shoe, I'll give that a try. Yes i did check the ign. fuse and it looked good. I just thought of something, I ran my wire for the CSI pump to the ign. fuse. I used an install guide, Ken Lowerance web site, for the wiring. I used a relay and ran the wire from the 86 terminal on the relay to the ign. fuse. I just pulled the fuse and stuck the wire under the blade of the fuse and popped it back in. I know its ghetto but is it possible that had something to do with it? Like I said the car fired right up, ran PERFECT for exactly 55 miles, pump works fine, it still working now. Do you think that could have anything to do with it? Thanks again Shoe, u are the man!!
Old 04-02-2003, 08:07 PM

Originally posted by kirschman
thanks shoe, I'll give that a try. Yes i did check the ign. fuse and it looked good. I just thought of something, I ran my wire for the CSI pump to the ign. fuse. I used an install guide, Ken Lowerance web site, for the wiring. I used a relay and ran the wire from the 86 terminal on the relay to the ign. fuse. I just pulled the fuse and stuck the wire under the blade of the fuse and popped it back in. I know its ghetto but is it possible that had something to do with it? Like I said the car fired right up, ran PERFECT for exactly 55 miles, pump works fine, it still working now. Do you think that could have anything to do with it? Thanks again Shoe, u are the man!!
I prefer a more secure method for wiring something up. Could be that the terminal got forced out of the bottom of the fuse panel. Also, I would be using a test light or a meter to prove voltage.