CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   LT1 Based Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/)
-   -   Best tool for removing a rounded bolt? (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/best-tool-removing-rounded-bolt-159632/)

ZDriver96 08-18-2003 11:37 AM

Best tool for removing a rounded bolt?

The morons who worked on my tranny last over tightened my ujoint bolts on the drive shaft. I dont let people work on my car for that reason but i had no choice.

Impact gun?

Other suggestions.

Dave Feerst 08-18-2003 11:43 AM

craftsman bolt outs work great, I had to use them about 8 times when building my 383, Ive used em on lug nuts, flywheel bolts, head bolts, oil pan bolts, Get the set of 12 or youll be back for it in the future. like 59$ and tap it on then use an impact or braker bar.

madwolf 08-18-2003 11:54 AM

Originally posted by Dave Feerst
craftsman bolt outs work great, I had to use them about 8 times when building my 383, Ive used em on lug nuts, flywheel bolts, head bolts, oil pan bolts, Get the set of 12 or youll be back for it in the future. like 59$ and tap it on then use an impact or braker bar.
I second the Craftsman suggestion. This weekend though, I had to remove a 22 bolt and the Craftsman doesn't have one that big so I just used a dremel to make some flats on the bolt, then used a smaller size wrench on it.

Gripenfelter 08-18-2003 12:38 PM

My friend has a set of those wrenches that grab the side of the bolt rather than the corners.

Those work great as well.

Cmr0z28 08-18-2003 12:40 PM

an axe

97droptopZ 08-18-2003 12:42 PM

During my opti install, the LAST bolt on the opti was rounded and i tried everything until i found a gator grip and that took it out easily

BUBBA 08-18-2003 12:50 PM

Vice Grip (brand name) pliers. Got some of those Craftsman pliers, but my limited tech ability won't allow me to use them correctly. They just don't seem to work as well as the Vice Grips. JMHO

X-Jester 08-18-2003 02:44 PM

If it's rounded off bad enough (like the drainplug on my wife's old Neon), I took a hammer and a chisel and banged the bolt loose until vice grips could grab it enough to turn it the rest of the way. I'd do it again, too, it worked damn fast. Just found a pretty hard spot, popped the chisel on it, and started tapping away with a hammer. Got it loose in 10 seconds or thereabouts, and replaced it.

battosai 08-18-2003 03:11 PM

Originally posted by Gripenfelter
My friend has a set of those wrenches that grab the side of the bolt rather than the corners.

Those work great as well.

Are they called Metwrench?
I got a set of them of the infomechal a couple of years back. They're nice. But there alittle loose on U.S size bolt. But ya, they're great for rounded bolts with the side wall grabbing action.

theloudroom 08-18-2003 03:26 PM

Originally posted by BUBBA
Vice Grip (brand name) pliers. Got some of those Craftsman pliers, but my limited tech ability won't allow me to use them correctly. They just don't seem to work as well as the Vice Grips. JMHO
I agree. Watch out for the craftsman laminated type. If you twist them the wrong way they just pop right off. (Take the needle nose, clip them onto a bolt on the same axis as the bolt and twist. They can handle basically no torque in that direction.)

ZDriver96 08-18-2003 03:52 PM

Gripenfelter, do u know the name of those wrenchs..
The bolts arent rounded that much.... yet... THey are still workable. I wanna try those side grabbing wrenches first.
Can I get them at sears?
Are they on ebay?

Thanks guys for all the replies.

Fastbird93 08-18-2003 04:19 PM

I second the vice grip suggestion. Only problem is that you'll need new bolts after that.