CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   LT1 Based Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/)
-   -   Anyone ever cut this plastic piece off? (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/anyone-ever-cut-plastic-piece-off-89966/)

dwindsor94Z 03-06-2003 10:18 AM

Anyone ever cut this plastic piece off?

I was installing my new K&N CAI last night, and I was wondering. The large plastic pieces under your front bumper that you have to take off in order to put the filter in....has anyone ever cut that place? I mean cut a big square in it right under where the filter is? The only bad thing I could think of from doing this is if you get water sucked in there or something. I think I am going to do this unless you say its really bad for it. :) Thanks!

GREGG 97Z 03-06-2003 10:43 AM

You mean something like this ? :D

Some people will say it's not a good idea, because you will suck up more dirt, debris, small animals etc. I've had it on for a year and havn't had any problems with it plus the K&N filters are reusable anyway, I just take them out and clear them twice a year. The only thing I would really watch out for is driving in the rain. If you were to run through a large puddle or some deep water there is an additional risk of sucking water up and hydrolocking your engine. I rarely drive it in the rain anymore so I'm not worried about it.

mikeRv6 03-06-2003 10:45 AM

I made a custom ram air scoop that sticks outta that bottom plastic pannel. I dont have any pics but alot of people have done this and I know there are pictures and turtorials out there. I dont know how much it helps but it hasen't hurt. Ive had it on there for almost a year and never had a problem with water. Do a search and you should be all set. :cool:

-ah he beat me to it, anyway I say go for it, ive never had a problem with water or anything else, and my K&N was not that dirty when i checked it a month ago.

dwindsor94Z 03-06-2003 10:54 AM

Cool. Thanks for teh info guys. :cool:

Bud M 03-06-2003 07:49 PM

Cutting a hole in the splash panel and covering it with a removeable plate (with or without a scoop) is a good idea. It makes access to the filter for maintenance a lot easier.
I have a scoop too.

Grease 03-06-2003 07:58 PM

Originally posted by Bud M
Cutting a hole in the splash panel and covering it with a removeable plate (with or without a scoop) is a good idea. It makes access to the filter for maintenance a lot easier.
I have a scoop too.

Now that is a scoop:eek: I have one too but yours looks like it was designed and built by NASA. Its surprising that no aftermarket company makes them, I so they'd sell alot

Chrisbequick 03-06-2003 09:01 PM

I used a half inch drill bit and drilled a bunch of holes in mine. It was my lazy man's way of getting more airflow to the filter without building a scoop.

FYI- I know a few years ago Random Technology made a custom scoop for our cars out of ABS plastic. I don't know if they still make it or not.

-Chris

cop01 03-06-2003 10:30 PM

Ive done it and Ive driven through some pretty deep puddles here...... just go slow