CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   LT1 Based Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/)
-   -   Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Regulator (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/aeromotive-fuel-pressure-regulator-657589/)

dr97z 12-25-2008 12:56 AM

Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Regulator

Wanted to post and let everyone know of another example of an Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Regulator going bad.

I maybe had 4,000 miles on this regulator and it's bad. The car wouldn't hold fuel pressure, it would bleed off and it was going lean in the high RPM's. Swapped out for a GM Fuel Pressure Regulator and all issues are gone.

Don't Buy This Thing, Not worth the money.

Maverick_997 12-25-2008 02:35 AM

got mine off my parts car, unsure of how many miles on it before i put it on my car, but so far so good. if FP starts acting up ill look into that first ;)

evilundisguised 12-26-2008 04:44 PM

I had a failure too, a few months ago - less than 1000 miles on the regulator. First it stopped holding pressure after I shut the car off; it would drop to nearly nothing within 10 seconds (it originally held it much longer). Then a few days later, it suddenly dropped to ~10psi while I was driving - couldn't get it any higher than that with any amount of adjustment. Fortunately I was 2 blocks from home... Put the stocker back on and it worked perfectly.

Anyway, it was beyond the warranty period, but Aeromotive took it back anyway. They claimed nothing was wrong with it, though they did replace the diaphragm and send it back free of charge. I still don't know if I'll use it again.

n2ceptor 12-26-2008 05:39 PM

Many old threads about this issue.......:)

flyinZ 12-27-2008 08:27 AM

Dr97z-Do you have any #'s from your setup with the AFR's on there? How do you like them so far?

I've heard more bad things about their AFPR, than good.

96capricemgr 12-27-2008 08:57 AM

The Aeromotive does have a bad track record.
Maybe an important question would be why did you feel the need to use an adjustable???

From what I see they are used far more often than they should be, the stocker works great.

evilundisguised 12-27-2008 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr (Post 5753138)
The Aeromotive does have a bad track record.
Maybe an important question would be why did you feel the need to use an adjustable???

From what I see they are used far more often than they should be, the stocker works great.

I wanted a boost-referenced FPR, and the stock unit is not. The "why" is kind of irrelevant in this thread though... no matter if it's needed in a certain application or not, the quality of the part is the same.

96capricemgr 12-27-2008 10:32 AM

There is the thing though, while you had a good reason to go to an aftermarket regulator most people do not and they are just causing undo headaches.

dr97z 12-27-2008 01:22 PM

To be honest, at the time I did it was because of lack of knowledge. I'm going to leave the GM unit on.

To answer the question above, now that the fuel pressure issues is fixed I don't know. Before, it made a base run of 350 rwhp untuned, closed exhaust through a cat, and through a big sloppy unlocked converter. I'll post final # 's after he's done tuning.