CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   LT1 Based Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/)
-   -   ABS INOP Light?? (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/abs-inop-light-307030/)

camaro 22 10-05-2004 03:56 PM

ABS INOP Light??

My car is done with the LT1 swap and everything else along with it. The Z rear is in, with my 3:73 gears installed. The ABS INOP light is still on though after everything was hooked up by my mechanic. He said it may have something to do with the black box in the car or something not being compatible. All the parts came from a 97z hardtop and my car is a 97rs vert. I figured it would be the same. Why do you think the light is still on? Did they leave something unhooked up or something? Everything else is fine, other than keep burning a wire because of the headers as posted in another post. Thanks again.

Shawn

joebeemish 10-05-2004 04:53 PM

Re: ABS INOP Light??

I have a similar problem after my motor rebuild, but it is intermittent. I think a ground is not right, but one of my projects is to hunt this problem down. The shop manual has a pretty detailed diagnosis section on this one.

CheshireCat 10-05-2004 05:10 PM

I know this is going to sound funny, but check the brake light that is built into the spoiler. Burned out bulbs (there are 2 of them in there) will cause the ABS inop light to go on.

BlownF1 10-05-2004 07:02 PM

Check the ground on the passenger side fender just behind the red positive block.

'94 Bad A Z28 10-05-2004 07:22 PM

Check the ground for your e-brake, and make sure that all your calipers are working.

LT1powered94 10-05-2004 07:28 PM

A spark plug wire touching or too close to a wheel sensor will do it too

Z95m6 10-05-2004 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by camaro 22
He said it may have something to do with the black box in the car or something not being compatible.

Shawn

It sounds like one of the cars has traction control. If so that means both of them needs traction control. As you can't put a traction control rear end in a non traction control car and vice versa and have the ABS function.

camaro 22 10-06-2004 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Z95m6
It sounds like one of the cars has traction control. If so that means both of them needs traction control. As you can't put a traction control rear end in a non traction control car and vice versa and have the ABS function.

Well, my car had the SGS option, and the donor car didn't have any traction controls. Could that be the problem? I think he used the original module or something too. Thanks for the replies.

Z95m6 10-06-2004 10:18 PM

Well, my car had the SGS option, and the donor car didn't have any traction controls. Could that be the problem? I think he used the original module or something too. Thanks for the replies.

I don't know what the SGS option is but if thats traction control then thats a problem. I believe there is a lot of stuff diff. on traction control cars, extra brake line, completely diff. ABS setup, and probably other diffs. too.

camaro 22 10-06-2004 10:36 PM

SGS is second gear start. It's a button next to the fog lights that lets your car start out in 2nd instead of 1st for less torque in order to gain traction.

Spinner 10-07-2004 02:22 AM

My jet-hots burned through my driver's side ABS wire. It goes right next to the headers on its way to the wheel well. Might want to check that.

shoebox 10-07-2004 07:20 AM

SGS and TCS are nothing alike. Since you have a PCM for the LT1, you no longer have SGS, anyway. The reluctor in the rear end was not omitted during the gear swap, was it?

kelld00 07-30-2015 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by BlownF1 (Post 2531393)
Check the ground on the passenger side fender just behind the red positive block.

Thanks BlownF1! That was my problem indeed. I just installed an SLP fan bypass switch which uses that ground terminal. That ground post is a "double nut" and I accidentally loosened the lower portion of it while landing a ground wire for the fan bypass wire harness.

Read your suggestion, went out and grabbed the ground wire and it was definitely loose. A quick tighten of the bolt and my ABS system is happy again. Can't thank you enough - saved me from chasing all kinds of sensor/module issues!

Injuneer 07-30-2015 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by kelld00 (Post 6979306)
Thanks BlownF1! That was my problem indeed. I just installed an SLP fan bypass switch which uses that ground terminal. That ground post is a "double nut" and I accidentally loosened the lower portion of it while landing a ground wire for the fan bypass wire harness.

Read your suggestion, went out and grabbed the ground wire and it was definitely loose. A quick tighten of the bolt and my ABS system is happy again. Can't thank you enough - saved me from chasing all kinds of sensor/module issues!

And THANK YOU for using the "search" function. Not many people do that.

Unfortunately, BlownF1 has not signed into the site in 2-1/2 years. But good to see his advice was helpful.