LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

opti spark seal

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 11:22 PM

opti spark seal

`I am replacing my opti seal and I am using a grey GM type seal. I also replaced my crank hub seal with a GM grey seal. I noticed that the crank hub seal had a thin round spring on the inner side. My opti seal does not
have any spring on the inner side. Does it supposed to? I can press it in place with my finger and it seats about 3/16'' in from the timing cover.
Is this seal seated correctly? Do any of these rubber type seals require any sealant? If so, what do you suggest? Thanks
Old 04-07-2017, 06:26 AM

Re: opti spark seal

No sealant. Some have springs some don't. Pretty sure I remember the opti seal not having a spring. As long as you drive the seal collar flush, it should be fine.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by shoebox
No sealant. Some have springs some don't. Pretty sure I remember the opti seal not having a spring. As long as you drive the seal collar flush, it should be fine.

my seal collar is not flush with the hole. It sits in 3/16''. Is this normal?
Don't know if I pressed it in too far. Thanks
Old 04-07-2017, 10:43 AM

the seals on the TC when installed are flush with the TC

Does not sound like you have the right seal if it is recessed 3/16"

Get Felpro gasket kit # TCC 45956 at most auto part stores for $12

no sealant is required to install seals. The Opti and WP drive seals install "dry" (no oil). They are PTFE seals
Attached Thumbnails opti spark seal-timing-cover.jpg  
Old 04-07-2017, 02:09 PM
Administrator

94, if still stock, would have an unvented Opti with a splined shaft drive, hence a much different seal than the vented (95-97 as shown above photo). The hole in the 94 timing cover is only about an inch (or less) in diameter, and there is no depression in the TC for the seal to sit in, as I recall.

If your TC looks like the one in the photo, either it's not a 94, or someone has done a vented Opti conversion (Opti, timing cover, timing set, cam with different pilot hole and longer dowel pin, different short Opti harness connector, and vacuum/vent harness).

Or you may have a B-Body engine???

Last edited by Injuneer; 04-07-2017 at 02:11 PM.
Old 04-07-2017, 02:31 PM

Fred, I didn't see the OP's sig noting the donor car was a 94 for his 38 Ford.

Op

pic below is pics of Timing Covers for 94-96 LT1's. If yours is the one on the right (94) the part # I posted for TC gasket set is wrong so get the correct one. I assume most auto part stores would carry the Felpro gasket/seal kit

I would think if 94 cover, the Opti seal would set flush with the TC surface
Attached Images  
Old 04-07-2017, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
94, if still stock, would have an unvented Opti with a splined shaft drive, hence a much different seal than the vented (95-97 as shown above photo). The hole in the 94 timing cover is only about an inch (or less) in diameter, and there is no depression in the TC for the seal to sit in, as I recall.

If your TC looks like the one in the photo, either it's not a 94, or someone has done a vented Opti conversion (Opti, timing cover, timing set, cam with different pilot hole and longer dowel pin, different short Opti harness connector, and vacuum/vent harness).

Or you may have a B-Body engine???
mine is not the same as pic. It is a stock non vented opti. The seal is a one inch diameter as you explained. The TC hole has no seat. I may have pressed mine in too far. Going to replace the seal and just make it flush with the face of the hole. thanks
Old 04-07-2017, 03:32 PM
Administrator

I can't remember exactly how the smaller seal sits on the TC. I did the vented Opti conversion in 2000 when the stroker was built. Come to think of it, they never gave me my old parts back, except for the unvented Opti..... no TC, no timing set. I know they sold the cam and credited my account.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:37 PM

the Kent Moore tool GM used to install that seal had a flange on it which hit the TC when the seal was flush with it...vs the 95-96 TC which has a recessed stop lip where you can tap in in gently with a hammer in a circular motion or use a seal drive tool of the appropriate size
Old 04-08-2017, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Chimera96
the seals on the TC when installed are flush with the TC

Does not sound like you have the right seal if it is recessed 3/16"

Get Felpro gasket kit # TCC 45956 at most auto part stores for $12

no sealant is required to install seals. The Opti and WP drive seals install "dry" (no oil). They are PTFE seals
what are the O-rings for in the timing chain cover gasket set
Old 04-08-2017, 08:26 PM
Administrator

Two of them go on the water pump driveshaft at the coupler.

Courtesy of Shoebox

What year is your engine - vented or unvented Opti?