LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

stock intake

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 12:24 PM

stock intake

just had to replace intake gaskets. Upon inspection of manifold I noticed a small 1/2 moon grinded out area near the oil sender area. I'm not sure if this was a factory machining or some kind of adaptation for the oil sender fitting. Seems that it kind of narrows down the mating surface in this area and could be a potential leak area. I have my oil sender located above the filter so I have the oil hole plugged with an NPT fitting. Any thoughts?
Old 04-02-2017, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Re: stock intake

Factory did it, to clear the oil pressure angle fitting. Look at the width of the wall right at the end of the gasket on the driver side.... almost as thin at the area notched out for the fitting. My 94 manifold is about 0.350" at the gasket tip, 0.325" at the oil sensor fitting and about 0.375" along the rest of the surface. It's an 0.050" difference.

Every 94-97 is identical, and if you install the sealer correctly, it will not leak.

From Shoebox's cam install procedure:

Install intake manifold. Use of locating studs or dowels (3/8-16 thread) on one side will allow you to set the manifold on without wallowing it around and ruining the RTV seal in the middle. (9/16 bolts/studs with thread sealant on them- torque to 71 lb. in. first pass and 35 lb. ft. second pass. Follow the proper sequence for tightening)
It is generally recommended that you let the intake sit 24 hrs for the RTV to cure before you fire it up. That is one reason I have for installing the intake first during reassembly. It can be curing while you put on the rest of the stuff. Some people don't let it sit that long and have been ok.
Old 04-02-2017, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Factory did it, to clear the oil pressure angle fitting. Look at the width of the wall right at the end of the gasket on the driver side.... almost as thin at the area notched out for the fitting. My 94 manifold is about 0.350" at the gasket tip, 0.325" at the oil sensor fitting and about 0.375" along the rest of the surface. It's an 0.050" difference.

Every 94-97 is identical, and if you install the sealer correctly, it will not leak.

From Shoebox's cam install procedure:
Thanks for info. is it ok to use ultra copper rtv ? one strip of bead or two ?
on another note, what is the small cast piece bolted in place where a distributer would be in a typical small block?
Old 04-02-2017, 04:22 PM
Administrator

Rob's photo of a seal bead on top of the block wall:

Mine is installed with Ultra Copper.... no leaks.

Do you mean in the lifter valley of the block? Oil pump drive:

Complete cam install procedure:

4th Gen LT1 F-body Cam Install
Old 04-02-2017, 04:56 PM

yes the lifter valley as shown in pics. above. If I remove this can I prime my oil pump?
any special tools. I have an old oil pump drive tool that I used to use on my 70 chevelle , but that was with a rear distributor.I
Old 04-02-2017, 05:02 PM

Yes , the lifter valley. Can I prime my oil pump from here? How is it done? any special tool? I have a priming tool from an old small block chevy,. Don"t know if this would work.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:20 AM
Administrator

Yes. Remove the oil pump drive gear and it exposes the top of the oil pump intermediate driveshaft. As I recall there is a slot in the top of the shaft. Just check the bottom of the drive gear assembly for the shape.

Engine Oil Pump Shaft Clevite 601-1409 | eBay
Old 04-03-2017, 08:44 AM

Yes, you can use a typical small/big block oil priming tool. Just make sure it is one with a collar on the top or it won't build pressure.