LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

95 trans am won't idle.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 06:44 PM

Re: 95 trans am won't idle.

That's what I seen somewhere too. I have another problem too. The pressure when running drops also.. I think I'll swap the optispark again since its warranty then if there's still a problem I'll mess with the regulator
Old 05-29-2017, 08:36 PM

What brand of opti is in there? I would diagnose it before just changing it out. Here is a great thread to confirm everything is working correctly:
https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1...d-opti-601565/
Seems like you have a pump or regulator problem, first and foremost. A new opti isn't going to do anything, for the known fuel pressure problems, you are having.
For what it's worth, I would rather have a stock regulator on there, than an Aeromotive.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:22 PM

I agree with the stock regulator part.. The thing that's got me is it never did the popping til we changed the opti. But I also put in a new pump.. I'll read through the thread and check it all out.. It may just be my fuel pressure tester.. The optispark is O'Reillys brand so not particularly the best option. Not my car tho. Just trying to save him some money if I can
Old 05-31-2017, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by gaedbo
This is a response from Aeromotives web site from another person who was having issues, and I thought it sounded similar to Josh198816 problem:

I’ve installed my new Aeromotive bypass regulator. Fuel pressure seems to adjust fine and holds great when the engine is running, but when I shut the engine off, pressure drops quickly to zero. Shouldn’t the pressure hold like it did with a stock regulator?
No, Aeromotive EFI bypass regulators may not seal perfectly when the pump is off. They are engineered for the highest possible performance when the engine is running. OEM regulators must hold pressure for 30-minutes after shut-down to pass EPA emissions standards. At Aeromotive we know our customers priority is to have the best possible flow and pressure control when the engine is running and we don’t compromise this standard to force the regulator to seal when the engine is off. If extended crank or hard-start becomes a concern, first allow the pump to run and prime as long as possible after turning the key to the run position, then start cranking the engine, just before the pump shuts off. If the priming cycle is too short to allow the engine to start easily with this approach, extend the priming cycle in the ECU if programmable, or ad a timer board or momentary button to the fuel pump run circuit."
Interesting but the symptoms don't fit the data. His car won't idle, which it should once pressure is made up in the system...
Old 06-11-2017, 03:45 PM

Ended up being the optispark. Swapped it runs decent. Not perfect but idles on its own and drives good. Just having a hard time bleeding cooling system.. Temp gauge will go to 3/4 I shut it off check with laser temp gun and its about 220.. On scan tool reads about 218 so idk if it's still a air pocket or just the sensor.. Sometimes pushes coolant out of the reservoir.. No dtcs everything seems to be ok other than that.

Also swapped the regulator diaphragm and holds pressure like it should so that part is good to go.