CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   LT1 Based Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/)
-   -   94 trans am running rough and popping (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/94-trans-am-running-rough-popping-887300/)

94tran 03-03-2019 03:40 PM

94 trans am running rough and popping

My 94 trans am is running rough and popping. I have replaced the opti spark, coil, computer, plugs and wires,

Injuneer 03-03-2019 07:39 PM

Re: 94 trans am running rough and popping

When is it running rough and popping - cold idle (open loop), hot idle (closed loop), on the road cruising at moderate load, at WOT, all of the above?

At any point have you scanned it for codes or checked the fuel pressure? How old are the O2 sensors? Is the engine basically stock, or modified? If modified, what has been done to it?

What led you to replace those specific parts? Particularly the “computer”.... they rarely fail.

94tran 03-03-2019 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer (Post 7002033)
When is it running rough and popping - cold idle (open loop), hot idle (closed loop), on the road cruising at moderate load, at WOT, all of the above?

At any point have you scanned it for codes or checked the fuel pressure? How old are the O2 sensors? Is the engine basically stock, or modified? If modified, what has been done to it?

What led you to replace those specific parts? Particularly the “computer”.... they rarely fail.

i honestly was just replacing what i thought could be the problem, it does it some on cold start but mostly when its warm. When i pulled the plugs out they were covered in gas. My next step was going to be replacing the injectors

Injuneer 03-04-2019 09:53 AM

Sounds more like a problem with running rich - many possible causes..... excessive fuel pressure, leaking fuel pressure regulator, faulty O2 sensors (or faulty wiring), exhaust leaks before the O2 sensors, faulty coolant temp sensor, etc.

Back to basics....have you scanned for codes? Have you checked the fuel pressure? You have to answer the questions if you want useful help.

Data log using Scan9495 could help identify the problem. Download free software to laptop, buy or build a cable, log the PCM from cold start thru a WOT pull. Post a .pdf file of the log, and I'll review it for you. A lot less expensive than playing “parts replacement roulette”.

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/com...95-lt1-874306/

94tran 03-04-2019 11:37 AM

I have not done a compression test but i will do that, when i scanned it i got a a 1 and 3 cylinder miss

Injuneer 03-04-2019 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by 94tran (Post 7002043)
I have not done a compression test but i will do that, when i scanned it i got a a 1 and 3 cylinder miss

Didn’t ask about compression test. And there is no misfire codes in 94 OBD-1. Misfire detection was added in 1996 as part of OBD-2. Were you using a Tech-2 to access PCM data?

94tran 03-04-2019 05:41 PM

I got the car from my brother inlaw and he took it to a shop and they scanned it and told him that it was misfiring on 1 and 3 so he replaced the plugs, wires and opti spark. None of this fixed it so he got tired of messing with it so i bought it. I put a computer in it and changed the plugs out again because they were fouled out, the car misses and pops but if you rev it up it will rev out. I have noticed that the header gaskets need to be replaced

Injuneer 03-04-2019 07:16 PM

There is NO misfire detection on the 93-95 OBD-1 LT1. Misfire detection requires a crank position sensor, and the 93-95 engine doesn’t have one. Not much more I can do to help if you don’t believe me.

Chimera96 03-04-2019 07:30 PM

OP

before you start throwing parts at it, some of the new ones can likely be bad, scan the car using the free software scan9495.

injuneer is VERY knowledgeable but he or anyone can not help over the internet without solid diagnostic data

you mention you have bad exhaust (header) gaskets.....fix those first. exhaust leak will make the car run rich

also check for things like a cracked intake elbow. Unmetered air entering motor after MAF will make the car run pig rich

Once you get obvious issues fixed, start car in the dark and look very closely at spark plug boots/wires...is there a light show? if so you have bad plug wire(s). Misting them with a little water can help reveal plug wire arc. You may (read should) put the car up on ramps and look from below so you can see ALL of the plug bot. If plug boot has the metal heat shield on it, remove it as the arc can be between the inside of it and boot...making it impossible to see

would also be VERY helpful to simply check fuel pressure to confirm it is not stupid high......or low

94tran 03-04-2019 07:54 PM

I never said i dident believe you, you asked why i replaced all of the parts so i was just letting you know what the guy that i got the car from told me