CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   LT1 Based Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/)
-   -   93 z28 wont crank or start (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/93-z28-wont-crank-start-887439/)

Solitaryearth z 05-02-2019 01:09 AM

93 z28 wont crank or start

I have a 93 z28 with the lt1 and auto trans and I bought the car from a friend who lost the keys to it and he tried to get a key made but the dealership kept making the key wrong or something and so I put another steering wheel in it but it still won't do anything.the dash lights come on but there is no sound from the starter or anything when i try to crank it what could be the problem and what would be the solution?

Injuneer 05-02-2019 09:32 AM

Re: 93 z28 wont crank or start

Has it ever started since the friend lost the key? When you turn the key, does the “SECURITY” light in the dash light up?

The resistor pellet in the key has to match the value in the theft deterrent module (TDM). If it doesn’t, the starter will not crank and the signal from the TDM that allows the PCM to activate the fuel system does not get sent. There are 15 different possible resistance values. Is that what the dealer was having a problem figuring out?

Have you scanned for codes? DTC 46 indicates problems with the PASS-Key II security system circuitry.

Did you replace only the steering wheel, or the complete steering column?

Solitaryearth z 05-02-2019 04:03 PM

No it hasn't been started since the key was lost and I seem to have lost the key to it now lol so I can't check to see if the security light comes on or not but I'm thinking it did and I don't think the fuel pump was kicking on and when he went to get the key made they made a key but it didn't work they made it with the resistor pellet but it didn't work,i haven't got it scanned for codes and I replaced the whole steering column after the key didn't work.

Solitaryearth z 05-02-2019 04:07 PM

Would I be better off putting the original steering column back in it and taking the ignition cylinder to them or something like that to see if they can make the key how its supposed to be made?

Injuneer 05-02-2019 04:41 PM

Did the new column come with a key that works in it? Is that the key you have now lost? If so, you either have to go back to the old column, or is that the key you lost? Somehow you have to come up with a key and a key cylinder that have the same pattern/key cut.

A GM dealer should be able to use the vehicle VIN to look up the correct ignition key resistor value. But if the TDM was changed at some point, it may not be the correct value.

You can unplug the connector in the steering column for the two wires that carry the resistor value to the TDM. Then patch in a series of resistors matching the 15 different possibilities, and see which one allows the car to start. Here are the resistor values, the diagram for wiring them, and a troubleshooting guide to the PASS-Key II security system, courtesy of Shoebox:

4th Gen LT1 F-body Tech Articles

http://shbox.com/1/vats_bypass.jpg

4th Gen LT1 F-Body Tech-PassKey/VATS

Solitaryearth z 05-02-2019 05:09 PM

I found the key to the new column but just remembered I don't have a battery I went ahead and tried to see if the key would work in the column but it won't turn it just goes in and won't turn the ignition is there anyway I can just put a push button start in it and bypass all that other stuff and just hide me a switch to the distributor so no one could steal it?I don't know a lot of how to work on cars yet and I live on a fixed income so I don't have a lot of money to pay someone to do it for me or anyone that know how to do the computer stuff but my room mate should and I should be able to figure out how to do the push button if its possible.

Black231GTP 05-02-2019 09:12 PM

I'm not incredibly privy with the PKII anti-theft system, but assuming the key to the new column is correct, the lack of a battery in the car could be preventing you from turning the key to the accessory/key-on light check position. You mentioned being short on cash...look for a used/refurbished battery store to get a cheap 75-series side-post car battery. They are somewhat cheaper than new, and sometimes they have a blemished battery which is essentially brand new with the exception of a cosmetic defect in the housing. Don't want to steer you the wrong way, but you'll need a battery anyway to start the thing, so I would work on getting that settled.

Solitaryearth z 05-03-2019 09:52 PM

Thank u guys so much for the replies this was my first time using the site other than reading stuff u guys really seem to know what ur talking about I'm gonna try to find a battery like that and see what I can't figure out soon hopefully and I'm gonna read up about that patching resistors in or whatever there calledthanks again guys and God bless😁