LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

383 dead/dying, need opinions on what went wrong.. :-(

Old 12-16-2008, 11:49 PM

did the engine sit for a couple years then? were the cyl. walls rusty? obviously the rings were not sealing properly to be creating enough crankcase press. to blow oil out like that. poss. he got some rings upside down? wonder did you check the rings and cyl walls when you dissasembled it? to see how that stuff was setup? what ring end gaps did he have it at? typical ring end gaps would be around .016 or .018. I used .024" for both my rings for use with nitrous. and I didnt blow oil out anywhere. never got to spray it yet either, but still got 8K miles on it and no oil consumption, and it made great power as evidenced by my 11.69 at the track on my mild head work and small'ish cam. oh and 3:42 gears. anyways mine was no dynoqueen though ony putting down 320 unlocked on a mustang dyno, and only reved to 6100 "cause they only make power to that point" so he wouldnt spin it higher. Ahole. anyways, sorry to rant.

good luck this time around.

chris
Old 12-17-2008, 01:16 AM

The engine sat for a few months after it had a few hundred miles on it (long story)

I dunno what the exact ring gaps were but i remember him saying they were as 'loose as they could be' according to the paper the rings came with.
The rings are whatever comes with the forged SRP pistons from summit. I know they broke a couple rings putting them on and had to order another set because they were pissed at the price of them or something since they had to cover it ha.

I will have to ask the current builder what shape the cylinders were in to be sure. I remember him saying they were scratched up pretty good but not so much that the re bore didnt clean it up.

Iroc, awesome times man The guy on the dyno when they did mine said that 383 tuned horsepower was good for my setup because of my stock lt1 intake and that it didnt get enough air past 6k

Bombe, yeah the current builder laughed his *** off at that one. He was so worked up over the engine he wanted to call the first builder and ask wtf he was doing haha.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by coolraptor
The engine sat for a few months after it had a few hundred miles on it (long story)

I dunno what the exact ring gaps were but i remember him saying they were as 'loose as they could be' according to the paper the rings came with.
The rings are whatever comes with the forged SRP pistons from summit. I know they broke a couple rings putting them on and had to order another set because they were pissed at the price of them or something since they had to cover it ha.

I will have to ask the current builder what shape the cylinders were in to be sure. I remember him saying they were scratched up pretty good but not so much that the re bore didnt clean it up.

Iroc, awesome times man The guy on the dyno when they did mine said that 383 tuned horsepower was good for my setup because of my stock lt1 intake and that it didnt get enough air past 6k

Bombe, yeah the current builder laughed his *** off at that one. He was so worked up over the engine he wanted to call the first builder and ask wtf he was doing haha.
Get that one cyl bored to match the others and for the scratching a good hone job will take care of that and shouldn't need to rebore. Get it done right this time and go beat that guys ***. He has no business putting engines together if he was the sole reason all that stuff happened to your motor. Good luck.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:25 PM

All cylinders were bored a little on the small side, so they all got rebored to what they were supposed to be

From what everyone has said, all my problems are from errors during assembly, stuff not measured right (pushrods were waaaay long) etc things like that. Like i said, i think the only engines hes working on might be the backup car for the garage he works at now which oddly enough runs perfect with no problems
PS. where i used to work had a few dirt cars they raced, hence he 'backup' car.