LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

383 Build with 3.8" Stroke Cola Crank

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 11:02 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by trans9_5am
so is deck height the measure from the centerline of the crank to the top of the block?

Yes!

once i get this measurement...where do i go from there?

Like quickSS said below .... for a zero decked block .... 1/2 of your crank stroke plus your rod length plus the compression height of your piston must equal your deck height.

I still need rods, pistons, rings, bearings, splayed caps, etc.

Plenty of companies make them.

If you need more info about what my goals are just ask, as i dont know where to start or what exactly what you need to know.

I'm sure many others will "chime in" on this for you.

Thanks for all the help so far!

You're Welcome!

Brandon
And Good Luck! in whatever you decide.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by quickSS
Have you purchased the 3.800" Cola crank yet? Nothing wrong with that crank but you should know that it will need 3 or 4 slugs of heavy metal for the balance if you want to use the LT1 style neutral crank damper. That crank from GM is designed for use with a weighted damper.

That 3.800" stroke is kinda neat. Already mentioned but that will put your piston top right at 9.025" if you use a rod/piston combo designed for a 383 stroker (3.800"/2 = 1.90 + 6" rod + 1.125" piston = 9.025"). So minimize the amount of block decking. If your block ends up at say 9.010" deck height then your pistons might be 0.015" out of the hole. The you'll need a mighty thick head gasket and Cometic makes them any size you want.

Karl Ellwein
Lets say my pistons end up out of the hole and i get a thick head gasket to compensate, are there any negative side effects associated with running such a thick head gasket?
Old 04-25-2008, 09:13 PM

Well you defintely don't want the top piston ring to come out of the hole so don't get any crazy ideas of pushing it up like Funny Car engines do

Presenting the crown about 0.010" is about the most I'd consider myself but I've heard guys going a bit more (0.015" on some AMC he was working on, though it was kind of a compromise due to available parts he had if I recall).

Just remember that whatever you do, you need a gasket that will be thick enough to cover both the crown AND the >0.035" quench... the more positive piston height you have, the thicker that gasket has to be. Without proper planning you could end up with a gasket thickness that may be too hard to find in stock (custom Cometic gaskets are pricey ).
Old 04-25-2008, 10:43 PM

With all the good 3.75" cranks available with pistons to match, why are you so intent on the Cola crank? I have used Cola parts and they are fine (they used to make rods and I have a set in my race car), but unless the crank is a steal it is going to be more hassle than it's worth, IMHO.

Rich
Old 04-25-2008, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by rskrause
With all the good 3.75" cranks available with pistons to match, why are you so intent on the Cola crank? I have used Cola parts and they are fine (they used to make rods and I have a set in my race car), but unless the crank is a steal it is going to be more hassle than it's worth, IMHO.

Rich
I actually did get the crank at a hell of a steal. NIB, i paid less than an off the shelf Eagle forged crank shipped to my door. I think its a nice crank and i got it for cheap so thats why i am so insistant on using it.

Steve,

Thanks for the great info. I will get an idea of where the deck height is now and i will go from there. I will continue to keep you guys posted and will let you know if i have anymore questions.

Brandon
Old 04-26-2008, 07:27 AM

I actually did get the crank at a hell of a steal. NIB, i paid less than an off the shelf Eagle forged crank shipped to my door. I think its a nice crank and i got it for cheap so thats why i am so insistant on using it.

Steve,

Thanks for the great info. I will get an idea of where the deck height is now and i will go from there. I will continue to keep you guys posted and will let you know if i have anymore questions.

Brandon

OK, that makes sense. It is much nicer than the Eagle. Good bargain! You can always get a piston with a custom pin height. It is not much more expensive than a shelf piece, for the better brands.

Rich
Old 04-26-2008, 08:45 AM

OK, that makes sense. It is much nicer than the Eagle. Good bargain! You can always get a piston with a custom pin height. It is not much more expensive than a shelf piece, for the better brands.

Rich
Very nice to hear! When you say "the better brands", which ones are you reffering to?

Brandon
Old 04-26-2008, 12:59 PM

Have you look at what it will cost to balance that "400" style Cola crank yet?

I have that same 3.800" stroke Cola GM truck 383 crankshaft. It has been sitting in a corner for 3 years now. Cost way too much to balance. One day I'll do it though.

By the way, it's for sale, NIB ($400).....is this a kosher thread jack? oops...forget I typed that.

Karl Ellwein
Old 04-26-2008, 02:54 PM

Very nice to hear! When you say "the better brands", which ones are you reffering to?

Brandon
JE, Ross, Manley, etc. You can always use an extermal balance lywheel/flexplate and damper if ti would cost a furtune in heavy metal to balance. Zero (internal) balance may be a better deal for very high rpm (8,000+) and is convenient but not in any way a necessity.

Rich
Old 04-28-2008, 03:02 PM

JE, Ross, Manley, etc. You can always use an extermal balance lywheel/flexplate and damper if ti would cost a furtune in heavy metal to balance. Zero (internal) balance may be a better deal for very high rpm (8,000+) and is convenient but not in any way a necessity.

Rich
The thread i posted above said it would cost around $300 to have it balanced. My engine will never see over 7K. Right now i have the factory flywheel and im using the ASP underdrive pulley. Is that an externally balanced unit? I see where it had been drilled in the back for balancing purposes.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:52 PM

All LT1 dampers are neutral balance. I think the drilling you are seeing is them zero balancing the individual piece, much like you see cuts on the edge of brake rotors.

If you key the hub I suppose you could have an addon weight made to external balance it but given that hassle it may cost as much as going internal.

Since they are saying weight will need to be added I think it may be good to pay attention to picking light parts. Maybe spending $40 more on a set of lighter rods saves having to buy a slug of mallory and you get a better rod.
Competition Products has some pretty light "powder forged" rods, are an aftermarket powdered metal rod with fractured caps like the LT4 rods.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:34 PM

I looked at the Competition Products rods and they seem very nice but a little pricey. I dont know that much about rods or how much a set of good rods cost but do they seem pricey to you?

I was also wondering something else about the crank. There are 3 holes drilled in the front of the crank for balancing purposes. Could i plug those holes with a shrink fit plug (pack the plug in dry ice over night so i can have about a .002" press fit) and then tig weld along the outside to insure they wont come out. The tig welding could be very minimal with such a tight fit on the plug. Has anyone done this? This would probably help save me some money on mallory to balance it for the Lt1 style damper. Do you think this is an OK idea or not? What are the disadvantages of doing this???

Thanks

Brandon

Last edited by trans9_5am; 05-08-2008 at 09:32 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:05 AM

TTT...I need to get rolling on this!!!

Would i get a better response in "Advanced Tech"???
Old 05-08-2008, 09:29 PM

I have gotten some great feedback so far and i appreciate it but could someone please answer the questions i have in post #27. I would really appreciate any further help.

Thanks,

Brandon
Old 05-08-2008, 10:37 PM

Maybe PM this guy.
https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/members/machinistone-45722/

Quick Reply: 383 Build with 3.8" Stroke Cola Crank