LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

1994 LT1 Camaro Cuts Out

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 08:20 AM

1994 LT1 Camaro Cuts Out

I have a 94 Camaro z28 with minor bolt ons (cam, headers, some head work) recently got it running again after the fuel pump went out 3 years ago (it ran perfect before this) so I got it running again and it’s runs beautiful at idle, normal throttle, and wide open throttle, but everytime you get on the gas hard (at low rpm in 2nd or 3rd gear) it cuts power and acts like a rev limiter, at around 3k-4k rpms and jerks the whole car around (this doesn’t happen in 1st gear) I have to let off the throttle and get back on it if I want to keep on acceleration. It has a check engine light on that comes and goes and the ABS INOP light on also.

Im thinking it’s the opti spark, I will get a video of what’s happening. It definitely isn’t the transmission feels like the motor just dies. Any suggestions or ideas on what if could be? Need help diagnoses this before I just start throwing money and parts at it. ~Thanks

Last edited by Sal Molina; 12-19-2018 at 12:32 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Re: 1994 LT1 Camaro Cuts Out

Have you scanned the PCM for codes? Might just be an indication of what is causing your issues. Code stays stored, even though the SES light goes out, until you pull the power from the PCM, or complete a fairly large number of “drive cycles” without the problem recurring. Then there are codes, including some for the trans, that don’t turn on the SES light.

Have you checked the fuel pressure, out on the road with the engine under max load?
Old 12-28-2018, 06:58 PM

Re: 1994 LT1 Camaro Cuts Out

Originally Posted by Sal Molina
I have a 94 Camaro z28 with minor bolt ons (cam, headers, some head work) recently got it running again after the fuel pump went out 3 years ago (it ran perfect before this) so I got it running again and it’s runs beautiful at idle, normal throttle, and wide open throttle, but everytime you get on the gas hard (at low rpm in 2nd or 3rd gear) it cuts power and acts like a rev limiter, at around 3k-4k rpms and jerks the whole car around (this doesn’t happen in 1st gear) I have to let off the throttle and get back on it if I want to keep on acceleration. It has a check engine light on that comes and goes and the ABS INOP light on also.

Im thinking it’s the opti spark, I will get a video of what’s happening. It definitely isn’t the transmission feels like the motor just dies. Any suggestions or ideas on what if could be? Need help diagnoses this before I just start throwing money and parts at it. ~Thanks
Do the fuel pressure test so we can eliminate that and go from there,IMO it sounds like opti,you given the same exact symptoms I had when mine went out. When my Optis were going out I had studdering and jerking whole time driving,stalling at lights or stop signs, cutting off at wot.