CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   LS1 Based Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/ls1-based-engine-tech-19/)
-   -   Worst accuring LS 1 problem? (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/ls1-based-engine-tech-19/worst-accuring-ls-1-problem-352399/)

2nd2none 03-27-2005 09:21 AM

Re: Worst accuring LS 1 problem?

It doesnt seem like their are many re-occuring problems with the LS1, if I drive my car normal with an acasional romp at the track, it doesnt sound like I should be worried about most of the problems withch seem to be few. Compared to hanging out in the Lt1 forum for a couple of years, the LS1 was definatly the way to go, I almost gave into a couple of LT-1 cars that were thousands less. I got 312 miles from a full tank yesterday, and it was all city driving(very little highway miles) on this tank of gas.
I got to watch my miles roll over 50,000 yesterday also, I got the car with 48,000. I think I may be noticeing the brakes having a small issue, but it could be the ABS pumping? I am hopng it is not the rotors. It is a slight very hard to notice ... when I apply the breaks.

1stls1 03-27-2005 10:08 AM

If its the ABS "pumping", then you are on them hard. You almost have to try to get my ABS to takeover. My water pump has been replaced 2x. Pwr window motors suck, and yes I have a "ticking" sound from motor, what it is I dont know. I had VERY bad luck w/ things breaking when I first got it w/ 64000. Now I have 81000 w/ no problems for sometime(as I cross my fingers)w/ some mods and heavy on the lead foot! ;)

CtRw 03-27-2005 02:26 PM

I hope the ticking most of you that say your motor ticks are smart enough to know that injectors make a great ticking noise on an idling motor. If the ticking you are hearing is not the injectors please post, since the only noise I've heard since I got mine was the injectors, this way I can be on the look out for this "ticking". My motor is a 99 model by the way.

country_3030 03-27-2005 03:44 PM

The only major problem that i have heard of was the rear end being a weak if you romp on it constantly. There are tons of reasons why the engine may have a ticking, i is just a matter of finding it.

Capn Pete 03-28-2005 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by CtRw
If the ticking you are hearing is not the injectors please post, since the only noise I've heard since I got mine was the injectors

Have you ever adjusted old hydraulic lifters?:think: You know where you run the engine, and loosen off each lifter (1 at a time) until they start running loose and you hear that loud "clicking" noise, then you tighten down until they go quiet again, and another ~1/2 turn (whatever it is;)).....

.....anyway, the noise of "loose lifters" is what my LS1 sounds like:irk:. Also, it's not just at idle ... rev up to ~1500 - 2000 RPM and it gets louder, and again, sounds just like noisy lifters?:confused: My Dad's '00 Sierra with the 5.3L makes some of the same noises as my LS1, but just much quieter (due to the cast iron block I guess).

Bayer-Z28 03-28-2005 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by snake_skinner93
my '00 z28 has no piston slap or ticking of any kind. 80k miles ... tranny shifts great, but i added a short stick to help it out in the fun area. i dont like the coal truck style tallness of the stock stick. so far i havent had any major problems with mine. i agree, the brake rotors are garbage from the factory though.

My '00 Z-28 M-6 is the BEST money I've ever spent. I do get some piston slap. Bent rods?!?! :alert: What's with that? My m-6 shifts like a dream, I could use a short shifter, though. I've got 23k miles on mine. As far as the valve train noise, I am conflicted as to what I am actually hearing. I changed my oil and I get some ticking around 3,500 rpm's. It could be VT noise or that piston slap thing...:think:

If your roller rockers are adjusted correctly, they shouldn't tick...

CtRw 03-29-2005 03:30 AM

ahh I don't have any lovely lifter knock.....yet. But I probably just screwed that up by saying it haha. Kinda weird that it would do that...