LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Where does your temp gauge sit w/ the 160* stat?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 05:30 PM

Re: Where does your temp gauge sit w/ the 160* stat?

sooo...

you're saying the sending unit that GM put in the car is incorrect??

cause i've watched mine using a laptop and scanning software.

in average florida summer heat, driving around it stays right at 175ish. cooler weather it gets slightly lower but not much. and with a 2min stop light i don't think it even hits 200.

now, if you are only going 100yrds between stops...yeah it will creep up. but for MY driving situations...it doesn't.

"OK let me put experience to work on this one. Everyone that says your LS1 runs at 170 or 180 with a 160stat is way wrong"

i guess you are the end all be all on Fbody cooling systems...since you have a functional guage. good for you
Old 09-26-2006, 05:40 PM

i guess you are the end all be all on Fbody cooling systems...since you have a functional guage. good for you [/QUOTE]

No Teke I'm not but when you have a actual functioning gauge it says alot more than just scaning your car after running it for 5-10 minutes.

and no the sending unit isn't the wrong one It may work through the ECU but not through the gauge.

And how about instead of being so negative about some advice why do you use it and if it doen't apply to you ignore it. My posts states exactly what I found from changing my guage. Doing that is no different than scaning with a laptop but try sitting in bumper to bumper traffic for 20 minutes or rolling at 10 to 30 then back to 10mph and back to 20 for 20 minutes and then see what your software says, before you start tearing a post apart. What I have stated are facts about my car and what I know is true. So either use it to your advantage or don't.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:32 PM

i knew that was coming...i think i posted that just to provoke that...maybe not

anyway...i guess i was just looking at this statement:
"Everyone that says your LS1 runs at 170 or 180 with a 160stat is way wrong"

and thinking...wow...that's pretty arrogant. saying everyone else is wrong based solely on YOUR experience.
maybe i was a bit negative...but you just blatently called everyone WRONG.

and as for me...i was watching the reading...real time on the software...for about probably over a dozen "drives"...most lasting much longer than 5-10mins, and all of them after a considerable warm up period. and trust me...a digital readout on ECT is much more accurate than even your "actual functioning gauge". i mean... can you tell when your coolant is 172* or 176*?? cause i can.

therefore i can give my opinion on what i experience.

feel free to call me and everyone else wrong...not like you haven't before

Last edited by teke184; 09-26-2006 at 10:35 PM.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:40 PM

you know the more i read through the entire thread...i don't think our posts have much of any relivance to the original thread topic.

and it's almost impossible to "compare" guage reading (functional or not) since every person is gonna have a slightly different idea of traffic.

although i am concerned..you said while cruising your temps hit 230 or was that in the rush hour driving you described?

oh well...i'm out
Old 09-27-2006, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by mook99TA
OK let me put experience to work on this one. Everyone that says your LS1 runs at 170 or 180 with a 160stat is way wrong. I have a 99 that the guage doesn't do anything but sit at 210 when warm. So what did I do I went out and got an autometer electric gauge and a 160stat. After that I am now looking for a manual fan switch because in traffic or occasionally while crusing MY CAR RUNS AT 230 while that stock gauge reads at just below 210.
That is way to hot. At that temp you risk blowing head gaskets along with loosing power, heak soak which causes retard in timing and unwanted strain on your engine.

Now yes the 160 stat alone will do some good but all it does is open earlier allowing the coolant to flow. It has nothing to do with cooling the collant. You need to either have your fans reprogramed or get a manual fan switch and a working gauge. For all of you who don't believe me go get a working gauge and let me know what you find. Hope this puts an end to this argument.
Did you ever stop to consider that those folks that say their coolant temps with a 160° stat were steady at 170-180 were actually smart enough to have their fans reprogrammed to come on early enough to keep that temp.
For stop and go hot weather traffic, if you want to keep the coolant temps down, it is abosolutely essential that you turn the fans on before the temp is already 200+.
And 230° may slow an LS1 down a little but there is no danger of engine damage at that temp.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:54 PM

Once my temp hits 230* in rush hour it takes a bit to cool it down. On hot days when I beat on the car it also gets that hot and doesn't cool down too quickly either.

As for everyone getting their fans reprogramed not everyone does and some of those people think that the Stat helps keep thier coolant cooler.

So say what you want Teke hopefully someone uses my experience to their advantage not everyone is as intelligent as you are
Old 09-27-2006, 10:06 PM

"As for everyone getting their fans reprogramed not everyone does and some of those people think that the Stat helps keep thier coolant cooler."

here is how i look at it.

stock fan settings are sufficient to keep the car out of harms way when in traffic (assuming all is working properly).

when you are moving and want to take advantage of the 5hp or so that cooler temps give you, the 160 stat works with the stock settings.

in rush hour traffic that last thing on my mind is the 5hp lost/gained due to engine temps.

for situations like sitting at the track...a fan switch is easier and more effective since you can run it with the car off as well as keep temps lower than even a reprogrammed fan would allow (unless you REALLY lower the temps...then they would be on constantly on the street)

i ran a 160 stat on my LT1 for 2yrs, and one in my LS1 for 2yrs with stock fan settings. i had a fan switch for track and the occasional traffic jam. i feel i was able to take almost full advantage of the gains of the stat...even though the fans were stock settings.

only reason the fans were reprogrammed on my LS1 was when i had the dyno tune done after the cam...so it was being reprogammmed anyway
Old 09-27-2006, 10:13 PM

Before I got my fans reprogramed (w/ my LS1 edit W? allt he engine mods I have now) my temp gauge sat @ about 200..... now thta i have my T-Stat in it sits the same...
Old 09-27-2006, 10:15 PM

read previous responses about your gauge. It won't read different. you dont have a 98.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by teke184
"As for everyone getting their fans reprogramed not everyone does and some of those people think that the Stat helps keep thier coolant cooler."

here is how i look at it.

stock fan settings are sufficient to keep the car out of harms way when in traffic (assuming all is working properly).

when you are moving and want to take advantage of the 5hp or so that cooler temps give you, the 160 stat works with the stock settings.

in rush hour traffic that last thing on my mind is the 5hp lost/gained due to engine temps.

for situations like sitting at the track...a fan switch is easier and more effective since you can run it with the car off as well as keep temps lower than even a reprogrammed fan would allow (unless you REALLY lower the temps...then they would be on constantly on the street)

i ran a 160 stat on my LT1 for 2yrs, and one in my LS1 for 2yrs with stock fan settings. i had a fan switch for track and the occasional traffic jam. i feel i was able to take almost full advantage of the gains of the stat...even though the fans were stock settings.

only reason the fans were reprogrammed on my LS1 was when i had the dyno tune done after the cam...so it was being reprogammmed anyway
YEP