LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

So the dealer says my engine is blown?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 07:24 PM

Angry So the dealer says my engine is blown?

I will try and give the short version. Parked the car , bad rain and flooding while we slept, when we started the car it started making a ticking sound, it gains speed as you rev etc, so we call the dealer and make an appointment, they've done the clutch and were good about it. They call and tell us it done, the crank shaft is done and many parts inside the engine, although they have not disassembled the engine at this point. Before this we have had no problems with the car which only has about 60,000 miles on it, no noises no hesitation, not even a shudder even at high rates of speed, this car has been aces so far.
We also still have no problem driving it besides the noise ,it accelerates with no problem goes through the gears smoothly, and does not hesitate a bit when you give it gas.The noise sounds like it is coming from the middle of the car by the transmission, and you can feel the banging or whatever is causing the noise on your foot when you press in the clutch.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:26 AM

Re: So the dealer says my engine is blown?

The best way to tell if you're motors really done or if they're full of it is to check the oil pressure and do a cylinder compression test. You can also put your car on ramps and check to see where the sound is coming from yourself. If it's in the oil pain be prepared to s--t in your pants. That's the easiest way to diagnose it without spending a dime.

But for the flood to have caused water to get in your damage it must have been some kind of crazy tsunami. I remember four score and several years ago I was driving my car down a country road. I had a CAI and it sat deep in my fender well. It also didn't help that my car was so low to the ground. I have no idea why but I tried to cross past this flooded road. Soon as I was about a foot into the flood water the engine died. My face looked like this --> and then like this --> and then as the reality started sinking in it looked like this --> I got out my car with my suit on and pushed her back away from the puddle. I lifted my hood up to see how far the water went. Pulled out my emergency tool kit and started popping off the intake. I was prepared for the worst expecting to see water in the throttle body and inside the manifold. Lucky me it was dry. I then went and pulled apart my CAI and saw that the water was getting sucked up but it hit the MAF sensor and shorted it out. That's what killed the motor before havoc could be wreaked. I dried the MAF off with my tie and as it's the only cloth I had and put it back on the car and turned the key not knowing if she'd start or not and then I heard that sweet VROOOM! and she was alive again.

a
Old 06-04-2013, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

Re: So the dealer says my engine is blown?

dirtyss, I don't think your motor is blown. The ticking sound you describe could be an exhaust leak, collapsed lifter, or any number of other relatively minor issues. If your crankshaft was bad, it'd do a lot worse than tick.

As for the banging when you press the clutch pedal, I'm not sure. You might try posting a thread in the Driveline section and seeing if one of the experts has any ideas.