LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

slp cai,lid and ram air hood or ram air hood and ram air box?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 05:46 AM

slp cai,lid and ram air hood or ram air hood and ram air box?

will i get the same hp with a slp lid and slp cold air intake and ram air hood as i would with ram air hood and ram air box?
Old 03-10-2004, 06:18 AM

i think you're counting grains of sand here...

the slp cai will basically negate any ram air affect of the hood.

so if you want the ram air hood, just stick with it, the intake and lid...

any which way you put together a cold air intake/ram air, combined with a lid you are going to be with in the same amount of hp gains...

one setup may get you 1 or 2 more hp, but nobody will ever be able to give you a solid answer because the is the margin for error even on a dyno. and when it comes to track times, you'll never notice that difference.

go with what you think looks the best (hood) and what you can afford.
Old 03-10-2004, 06:35 AM

I'm a little fuzzy on what you mean by ram air box. But if you want a good intake plan here is my suggestion. Get any aftermarket lid (I liked tsp but a lid is a lid). Now get a ARA (formally SSRA) ram air kit. That will give you a nice setup with good gains and great feel at highway speeds.

As far as using the ram air hoods go it depends on which one you have. You have to seal the front of the airbox for the ARA ram air kit so you have to use either the hood or the ARA but not both. If you got a camaro then don't use the ram air hood. The ARA will do better so just let the hood be an appearance mod.

If you have a Formula/Trans Am with WS6 hood then I would use the hood instead of the ARA ram air. But you'll need to buy the BG ram air kit to make full use of the hood. Basically the BG ram air is just a kit designed to seal the 1" gap between the hood nostrils and the airbox.

Now the BG ram air kit costs about $100 more then the ARA ram air kit. So if you have a factory original WS6 then I say skip the ARA and get the BG ram air. If you have a aftermarket hood then I would still use the ARA and leave the hood non-functional. Reason being is that the hood uses a raised airbox that sits higher then the normal one. To make a aftermarket hood functional you would need to order the BG ram air ($300) and a WS6 airbox from GM ($90). Since the ARA is only $200 I would go that route and let the aftermarket WS6 hood be just an appearance mod.

The gains on a dyno will not show the ram air because dynos run with your car stationary. But you'll gain about 10 RWHP from the lid and another 13 RWHP (when at highway speeds) from the ram air kit/hood.

Good Luck
Old 03-10-2004, 07:10 AM

"and another 13 RWHP (when at highway speeds) from the ram air kit/hood."

that figure seems a bit hopefull....

but i guess the take away point is that you will gain the same with a unit like the SSRA (he changed the name back to that...lol), as you will with the ram air hood and associated air box.

and another thing, the SSRA is significantly more effective than the slp or fast-toys units...neither of those have any kind of scoop. the SSRA has a scoop under the front bumper to really catch air and create a ramair effect at speed
Old 03-10-2004, 09:17 AM

If you properly seal the front of the airbox 13 rwhp is a reasonable number. But this is at speeds of 80+ mph. You won't see that much gain at 65 and definately not even close at city speeds.

Of course these can't be measured by a dyno but most everyone I talked to says if properly sealed your gaining 10-15 rwhp at high speeds.

I didn't know he changed it back to SSRA again. Damn I gotta change my sig now back to the way it was.
Old 03-10-2004, 05:14 PM

would the gains be better with the ssra2 or should i just get the super sucker ram air? would an slp lid be ok with the ssra?
Old 03-10-2004, 05:34 PM

lid type is irrelavant to the ssra. any lid will give pretty much the same power gains within 1 or 2 hp...

the ssra2 is just an extension designed for the slp and fast-toys ram air units...

just stick with the original ssra...it's a great piece
Old 03-10-2004, 05:39 PM

thanks everyone, man you guys are way more polite and helpfull than the v6 peeps, im glad i bought this ls1 lol
Old 03-10-2004, 07:42 PM

Hi guys. I'm the producer of the SSRA, SSRA2, Austin Scoop, and Qwik Stick. It's all a little confusing so let me straighten it out.

SSRA: This is the Super Sucker Ram Air(no longer ARA, sorry Darren I changed it back)

SSRA2: This is just the top box, no plastic scoop. It's for people who worry about clearance issues. Very similar to FTRA and SLP, but larger. $129

Austin Scoop: This is an aluminum scoop that fits the FTRA or SLP kit to make them similar to the SSRA.

Qwik Stick: This is a short stick similar to Lous.
Old 03-10-2004, 07:59 PM

gotta love it when the creator helps you out...
Old 03-10-2004, 08:02 PM

wait the ssra is a homemade thing? im not putting you or your product down but what would be the difference from someone making their own box for under the car?
Old 03-10-2004, 08:50 PM

Originally posted by bluecmaro96
wait the ssra is a homemade thing? im not putting you or your product down but what would be the difference from someone making their own box for under the car?
I have never seen one in person but from the pictures I have seen the ssra looks like a better kit than the FTRA or the SLP kits. The SSRA is made of ABS plastic as opposed to sheet metal used on the others. Check out the pictures.

SSRA: http://www.austinperformanceinc.com/ssri.html
SLP: http://www.slponline.com/view_produc...&SHOWEMAIL=Off
FTRA: http://www.fasttoys.net/9398fbodyinduc.html

In my opinion the SSRA looks like the better kit of the three.
Old 03-10-2004, 11:50 PM

Originally posted by bluecmaro96
bluecmaro96:
A national plastic manufacturing company makes them for me. They are laser cut and plastic welded.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:03 PM

anyone have problems with slp cai sealing for ls1
Old 03-12-2004, 06:23 AM

So the SSRA are for LS1's only???

Quick Reply: slp cai,lid and ram air hood or ram air hood and ram air box?