CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   LS1 Based Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/ls1-based-engine-tech-19/)
-   -   Seriously. What horse gains should I see with Long Tube Heades? Basically stock LS1 (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/ls1-based-engine-tech-19/seriously-what-horse-gains-should-i-see-long-tube-heades-basically-stock-ls1-71365/)

therealmagyver 01-20-2003 04:29 PM

Seriously. What horse gains should I see with Long Tube Heades? Basically stock LS1

I am about to shell out a grand on LONG TUBES & YPIPE or N20 with all Safety options. Before I decide I wanted to know realistically want horse gains would I see with Long Tubes?

jd13 01-20-2003 06:34 PM

From the results I've seen posted by other people, you're looking at a solid 20 rwhp (add or take a few) gain.

stik6shift98 01-20-2003 08:05 PM

i got flp and on the dyno i got 23 rwhp:D

therealmagyver 01-20-2003 09:06 PM

Aiight. I think I will just do my headers when I do the cam. I am going n20!!! Progressive setup or II stage. If yall know anything about that let me know.

XKnightRider 01-20-2003 10:56 PM

I just got my headers in a week ago, now I have no traction after 4K RPM in 1st, usually spin halfway through 2nd and chirp 3rd hard. I raced a Vett last night and lost because all I did was spin.

Using even the 100shot on the F1's is not an option, until I get some new tires I can only spray when when I have the ET streets on.

The Headers are the best N/A mod that I have done so far. The juice is very addictive, but not on stock tires!

J. Baumgarner 01-20-2003 11:38 PM

Real Dual Exhaust

Have any of you thought about doing away with that power and torque robbing "Y" pipe exhaust system and installing a real dual exhaust system on your car? You get a lot more performance. I have a real dual exhaust on my SS that exits out the rear of the car just like the regular stock pipes and it is quiet inside the car with no drone. Those that exit out under the car before the axle doesn't come close to my exhaust system. I can ride down the road and talk to my friend in the seat beside me or listen to the radio, because as I stated earlier, it is quiet inside my car. Now, outside is another story. I have a sound that no "Y" pipe exhaust system can touch. The sound that only a real dual exhaust system can deliver. I will never, NEVER use a "Y" pipes exhaust system on anything ever again. I'll go with a real dual exhaust system every time. I don't have headers on my car, but with the dual exhaust system that I have I could install headers.

Lucas Black 01-21-2003 12:39 AM

well then...

sounds nice jerry b.....you plan on informing us of how you put together your true dual exhaust system, or just leave us with details about how great it sounds.....and yes, i know many people who have done true dual exhaust to their cars. and yes, the sound is unique, and yes, i'm sure performance has it's up's and maybe down's with true dual's....

....and i would surely hope that you could install aftermarket headers to your true dual setup.

last question: what does your true dual exhaust have to do with his question of possible horsepower gains with headers?

just wondering....

...not trying to get anyone riled up or flaming me all over the place.....

MARSTAUT 01-21-2003 01:21 PM

sorry this is off the subject to but want to ask if I will see a difference from going from edelbrock shortys no cats aftermarket y-pipe and no muffler (straits) to hooker longtubes 3" true dues with x-pipe and borla xr-1 mufflers that dump before the axle?

J. Baumgarner 01-21-2003 02:22 PM

well then...

[
(last question: what does your true dual exhaust have to do with his question of possible horsepower gains with headers?)

(just wondering....

...not trying to get anyone riled up or flaming me all over the place..... )

With real dual exhaust, his headers will give him a bigger horsepower gain than he will get with a "Y" pipe system. So yes, I'd say that is has something to do with horsepower gains with headers.

Blkknight 01-21-2003 02:35 PM

Re: well then...

Originally posted by J. Baumgarner
[
(last question: what does your true dual exhaust have to do with his question of possible horsepower gains with headers?)

(just wondering....

...not trying to get anyone riled up or flaming me all over the place..... )

With real dual exhaust, his headers will give him a bigger horsepower gain than he will get with a "Y" pipe system. So yes, I'd say that is has something to do with horsepower gains with headers.

How much more HP did you gain over a standard y-pipe config?

Flat_Tire_ 01-21-2003 03:17 PM

What's the cost to get a true dual setup? Both pipes still come down the passenger side? What resonators/mufflers do you use if any?

Blkknight 01-21-2003 03:38 PM

Originally posted by Flat_Tire_
What's the cost to get a true dual setup? Both pipes still come down the passenger side? What resonators/mufflers do you use if any?
Well the cost will vary. You can buy a generic X-pipe kit from Jegs or so for around $200 or something like that. Then its your choice on mufflers. Most use the Dynomax bullet style but there are other options. It will cost around the same as a decent catback. You will have 2 mufflers one on each side. Most people dump it before the axle though so there are no tips out the back. Not for lowered cars though.

Scott 92Z28 01-21-2003 10:26 PM

therealmagyver- I think I sent you an email about a kit I was selling. Its got all the safety equp. and acc. you would want. Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks, Scott