CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   LS1 Based Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/ls1-based-engine-tech-19/)
-   -   Pace MAF? Never heard of them. How do they compare to others? (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/ls1-based-engine-tech-19/pace-maf-never-heard-them-how-do-they-compare-others-81495/)

nvmyws6 02-14-2003 07:35 AM

Pace MAF? Never heard of them. How do they compare to others?

I have never heard of a Pace MAF. Who is "Pace"? How do their MAF's compare to other companies' MAF's?

Thanks,
Jonathan Arndt

V6toZ28 02-14-2003 11:27 AM

I lost 10 rwhp when I tried one ...

jtsc23 02-14-2003 02:21 PM

"Pace" is Jim Pace Performance Parts. The MAF is the LS6 Z06 recalibrated to F body sensor. All this talk about losing/gaining hp is due to the MAF is the result of a string of mods. If you do mods that effectively lean out the air fuel mixture - don't bolt on the MAF (i.e. lid, free flowing filter, ported MAF ends). By bolting the larger MAF on you will lean out the engine more - possibly to the point . Now if you just bolt the Pace MAF on a completely bone stock car, it more than likely will make a few hp cause the LS1 is tuned a little rich from the factory. Just remember - do mods in a logical well thought out matter. If you can't afford LS1edit (like me right now :D ) get yourselk a MAF-translater to do your own tuning. I hate guys that just bolt stuff on there car and bitch that it doesn't work :mad: :mad: 99% of the time it is the users mis-match of components.... but once in awhile the supplier does F@#K up:alert:

V6toZ28 02-14-2003 04:58 PM

Actually the Pace richened up my AF/R dopped me from 12.8 to 12/11.9.

Heres' the truth about MAFs ... they can be used to control a pre existing AF/R condition ... if they send you in the right direction. GMAF and MAF ends tend to lean and the PACE tends to richen.

But is you are going to go with a MAFT, LS1 edit or any other kind of tuning a AM MAF is waste of time ... yeah you can put on an AM MAF and then tune it in but all you are doing is compensating with tuning the the error that was injeceted with the MAF.

Get yourself on a dyno and find out where you're at. I was 12.5 from the factory. Pace richened me up and SLP/GMAF and ends leaned me out to the point of 3* KR. And any tweaking a with a MAFT also threw me way off. It was not till I went with LTs that I could use a MAFT to get me form 12.1 to 12.9/13 and picked up 5 rwhp.

That applies to a bolt on ... once you get past bolt ons and move into a H/C set up, a larger MAF may - and I emphasize may - give you a few extra ponies provided you tune your PCM with LS1 edit by some one who know what they are doing ... and those are really few and far between.

Topless01WS6 02-15-2003 10:12 AM

Originally posted by V6toZ28
Actually the Pace richened up my AF/R dopped me from 12.8 to 12/11.9.

Heres' the truth about MAFs ... they can be used to control a pre existing AF/R condition ... if they send you in the right direction. GMAF and MAF ends tend to lean and the PACE tends to richen.

But is you are going to go with a MAFT, LS1 edit or any other kind of tuning a AM MAF is waste of time ... yeah you can put on an AM MAF and then tune it in but all you are doing is compensating with tuning the the error that was injeceted with the MAF.

Get yourself on a dyno and find out where you're at. I was 12.5 from the factory. Pace richened me up and SLP/GMAF and ends leaned me out to the point of 3* KR. And any tweaking a with a MAFT also threw me way off. It was not till I went with LTs that I could use a MAFT to get me form 12.1 to 12.9/13 and picked up 5 rwhp.

That applies to a bolt on ... once you get past bolt ons and move into a H/C set up, a larger MAF may - and I emphasize may - give you a few extra ponies provided you tune your PCM with LS1 edit by some one who know what they are doing ... and those are really few and far between.

OK OK.... I have a basicacly stock LS1 with only a lid and hypertech. And I just ordered MAF ends, and am planing on doing the throttle body porting, and a cutout. Is this good? What is the ideal AF/R i should be at? 13?

Drew778/94Z 02-15-2003 03:37 PM

I gained a 1.5 mph in the 1/4 with the LS-6 MAF,.

I also had a G MAF and I didn't see any gains?

sleeperZ96BT 02-15-2003 11:04 PM

pace, in my opinion, is by far the best MAF out there for an LS1. many a horror story with GMAS (including one of mine on my LT1). FWIW, my buddy with a 01 WS6 M6 put down 345rwhp and 350rwt with the Pace, lid, and GMMG.
brian