LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Is this why my alternator failed, have pics need to know by Oct28th

Old 10-26-2017, 09:46 PM

Is this why my alternator failed, have pics need to know by Oct28th

My brother and I installed this one last year or two since the original one failed due to power steering pi$$ed all over it. (152,000) I am having charging issues and tested battery (8 months old and best one you can buy), cleaned all connections, wired brushed, check fuses, grounds, etc. Do the wires go over the bracket? I'm thinking the wires got crushed from the pics below. I heard the ground wire hitting the alternator can cause problems. MY ISSUE IS MY ALTERNATOR GAUGE GOING CRAZY ONLY OVER 1500RPMS. Well I bought a new belt, pulley tensioner, and other stuff and now goes crazy even idling ever since I shook the wires near the alternator. It dips 90% over 1200RPM to around 9-10volts. Used volt meter and when you open throttle everything dims and goes down. DID THE POWER STEERING FLUID DAMAGE THE EXCITER WIRE? This alternator is 100% brand new and has a lifetime warranty from Advanceauto and was always strong and the needle NEVER moved the last 1-2 years I owned and seemed to keep a very strong charge from the two Camaro's I own 1997/1999 cars. The issue for a week was just when you went over 2,000rpms it would dip but when you let go of the gas pedal it would instantly go back to normal so I had to drive like a grandma for a while lol. I'm stumped just going to get another one Saturday.
Attached Thumbnails Is this why my alternator failed, have pics need to know by Oct28th-alternator1.jpg   Is this why my alternator failed, have pics need to know by Oct28th-alternator2.jpg  
Old 10-27-2017, 04:12 PM

Re: Is this why my alternator failed, have pics need to know by Oct28th

Anybody? was the installation incorrect? Are the wires suppose to be sandwiched between the alternator and bracket?
Old 10-27-2017, 10:26 PM
Administrator

Not a lot of LS1 owners on the site any more. I'll try and get the attention of one regulars that really knows the electrical system. Hold tight.
Old 10-28-2017, 08:35 AM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?

I suspect you have a bad alternator but it is possible that the small red wire going to the alternator is loose or intermittent. It should have 12v on it whenever the ignition switch is on. it is very difficult to access when the alternator is installed. That wire controls the alternator operation, 12v is on, 0v is off. it could also be that the large black wire is loose. Here are some photos of the alternator and cables in a 98 TA.
Attached Thumbnails Is this why my alternator failed, have pics need to know by Oct28th-98ta-alternator-before-mounting.jpg   Is this why my alternator failed, have pics need to know by Oct28th-98ta-alternator-connector-location.jpg   Is this why my alternator failed, have pics need to know by Oct28th-alternator-connector.jpg   Is this why my alternator failed, have pics need to know by Oct28th-bottom-view-showing-rear-bracket-bolt-2.jpg  
Old 10-29-2017, 08:58 AM

Thanks, I will test the alternator wire today while taking it off & I have a feeling the power steering fluid that dumped itself on the previous alternator ruined this wire since this alternator fried up quickly. I was curious and sprayed a lot of electronics cleaner on the alternator & connector only goes crazy when you rev it over 1200RPMS. I shook the wires and ground and no luck so getting one sent to Advance Auto since they're all sold out.

Search this Thread