CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   LS1 Based Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/ls1-based-engine-tech-19/)
-   -   My new 01 WS6 - First oil change (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/ls1-based-engine-tech-19/my-new-01-ws6-first-oil-change-867003/)

formula90 06-28-2012 01:34 AM

My new 01 WS6 - First oil change

Ok. I am a nooooooooooooob again, and thats ok.
I am a new owner to a 01 WS6 with 50k on the odo.

I was talked into a transfusion of synthetic. I was thinking this anyways.

I dropped the oil, and replaced with one quart of Lucas Synthetic, and topped off with Castrol Synthetic.

Now I am noticing a knock, maybe not a knock, but a tapping sound coming from the drivers side bank.

I used a Delco filter.

I tool the TA on a test drive, and did not ride it hard... Drivablitly was still good..

What gives? Should I switch back to sludge dino oil?

Also, how do i get rid of the change oil light?

I also had a DTC telling me to change the pass side AIR check valve. I replaced, and am waiting for the light to turn off during the next 3 open-loop, closed loop cycles..

There is a slight tapping occuring.. and it seemed to get bettter once I added the rest of my 5+ jug of oil. It is still audible. Should I drop the oil and filter and go back? I have only put 5 miles on her today since the oil change.

Thanks in advance.

Dave89IROC 06-28-2012 04:40 AM

What weight oil did you use?

To reset the oil light, it should be key on, engine off, press the gas pedal to the floor and let off 3 times in 5 seconds, or, a scantool with bi-directional control can do it

Wild Willy 06-28-2012 10:33 AM

Re: My new 01 WS6 - First oil change

-These LSX engines are notorious for cold piston slap, too. Even under warranty, the dealer would just tell you 'they all do that' Solution, let it warm up a little before getting into it. Does it go away after warming up? If so, not to worry.

formula90 06-28-2012 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Dave89IROC (Post 6910396)
What weight oil did you use?

To reset the oil light, it should be key on, engine off, press the gas pedal to the floor and let off 3 times in 5 seconds, or, a scantool with bi-directional control can do it

I used 5w - 30 synth

DrRuckus13 06-28-2012 10:55 PM

Switching oil from dino to syth is hardly noticeable from sounds / vibrations imo. The exhaust drowns out any engine noise anyways :) LS1's do tend to be loud when cold so listen carefully when its warmed up. My 01 SS camaro which should be similar if not identical takes 6 quarts of oil exactly to be at the full mark. Also to reset the oil change light the manual says to hold down on the mileage button then turn the key to on but not start. After a few seconds it resets. My Silverado uses the gas peddle like described above but not my camaro.... all good though if it works.

formula90 06-28-2012 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by DrRuckus13 (Post 6910478)
Switching oil from dino to syth is hardly noticeable from sounds / vibrations imo. The exhaust drowns out any engine noise anyways :) LS1's do tend to be loud when cold so listen carefully when its warmed up. My 01 SS camaro which should be similar if not identical takes 6 quarts of oil exactly to be at the full mark. Also to reset the oil change light the manual says to hold down on the mileage button then turn the key to on but not start. After a few seconds it resets. My Silverado uses the gas peddle like described above but not my camaro.... all good though if it works.

Thanks Dr.
I did indeed, after it was all said and done, add 6 quarts. The 5 gallon jug + the quart size of Lucas.

I will try to get a audio clip and push it out to youtube, then return with a link.

Using the accelarater pedal method did the job on my car as far as getting the change oil light off.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

formula90 07-03-2012 12:44 AM

[autostream]http://autostream.com/camaroz28/?page_type=firebirdplayerthumbnail&framepage=2669& transactionid=1341294285-1083732190&posted_by=formula90_www.camaroz28.com&y outube_video_id=2wgQWjQPRuA[/autostream] 20120703 015557Z - YouTube[/url]

Ok, I took a small sound byte and uped ip to YouTube. I used a mobile phone to do the recording. when playing back, the engine sounds horrible, I just think it is the way it records.. dunno... BUT, you can hear the tapping sound. Is it the waterpump? Pully? Tensioner? Alternator? Or internal in the bottom end?

Please chime in with your opinion.

Please just watch and listen.. after half way through the video.. after you are used to the sounds, you can hear a persistant clicking, or tapping sound.. clack clack clack clack.. steady with RPM. Raises and lowers with RPM, but is much more audible after blipping the throttle and the rpms go down...

I just hope it is not internal.

rod442 07-03-2012 07:29 AM

Sounds bad from the video. Auto or manual? pull the belt and start it w/o to see if it goes away. If so, start spinning pullies to see what it is. Sounds more internal than that to me tho.

next step, look at the rockers and remove the pushrods and pray for a bent one or rocker going bad.

After that, MAYBE you'll be lucky and its a cam lobe, like what happened in my car. BUT to find out, you'll have to pull heads and check lifters VERY CLOSELY to see any problems. Unless you've driven it for a bit with the noise, and a lifter roller is quite bad.

Thats just my guess w/o hearing it in person.

96capricemgr 07-03-2012 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by formula90 (Post 6910395)
Ok. I am a nooooooooooooob again, and thats ok.
I am a new owner to a 01 WS6 with 50k on the odo.

I was talked into a transfusion of synthetic. I was thinking this anyways.

I dropped the oil, and replaced with one quart of Lucas Synthetic, and topped off with Castrol Synthetic.

Now I am noticing a knock, maybe not a knock, but a tapping sound coming from the drivers side bank.

I used a Delco filter.

I tool the TA on a test drive, and did not ride it hard... Drivablitly was still good..

What gives? Should I switch back to sludge dino oil?

Also, how do i get rid of the change oil light?

I also had a DTC telling me to change the pass side AIR check valve. I replaced, and am waiting for the light to turn off during the next 3 open-loop, closed loop cycles..

There is a slight tapping occuring.. and it seemed to get bettter once I added the rest of my 5+ jug of oil. It is still audible. Should I drop the oil and filter and go back? I have only put 5 miles on her today since the oil change.

Thanks in advance.

How much did you put in before starting it?
The Lucas is garbage it is thick oil without additives so it just thickens what you have and dilutes the additive package, the lack of antifoaming additives contributes to it causing foaming.

I am not saying the Lucas is the cause of the noise.

I would not run it anymore till you do more diagnosis. I would be draining the oil and removing and opening the filter to look for debris. Probably pull the valvecovers to see if you can see anything.

rv93 07-03-2012 08:10 AM

this sounds exactly like mine (just way, way louder). its the same as in the ticks arent all the same intensity. theres like a pattern to it. and same tone. ive been lead to believe its just piston slap. if you find its something else, let me know.

96capricemgr 07-03-2012 12:35 PM

You know you might find someone local to listen to it too. Maybe everyone else has better speakers than I do but I have never really been able to tell anything from videos of car noises sent over the internet.

formula90 07-03-2012 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr (Post 6911066)
You know you might find someone local to listen to it too. Maybe everyone else has better speakers than I do but I have never really been able to tell anything from videos of car noises sent over the internet.

agreed.

Even when I watch the video, it has all the rotational mechanical noises that I cant hear.. the engine runs smooth, but with the tapping sound.

I will take off the serp belt, and let it run for 60 or 90 secs to see if the tapping goes away..

I will report back with my findings..