CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   LS1 Based Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/ls1-based-engine-tech-19/)
-   -   Is my lid on wrong? (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/ls1-based-engine-tech-19/my-lid-wrong-96864/)

JBH 03-21-2003 06:33 PM

Is my lid on wrong?

I just replaced my air filter for the first time. I just bought the car. I installed a Fram filter and when I got the lid back on everthing seems to be correct, the lid fits up to the mass air correctly all the clips are in place and the clamps are latched but you can see the rim of the filter through the back of the lid. It appears that the lid is flush against the filter and the filter is flush against the bottom of the airbox but it just doesn't look right. It is a SLP lid. Here is a pic
Lid

73307 03-21-2003 07:00 PM

Just try and see if you can push that back a little it might not be locked all the way.

JBH 03-21-2003 07:59 PM

I just went out and checked it. The back corners of the sides are resting snug on the back of the fan shroud that the air box sits on. The MAF and bellows are all lined up correctly also.

one wicked element 03-21-2003 08:51 PM

Originally posted by JBH
I just went out and checked it. The back corners of the sides are resting snug on the back of the fan shroud that the air box sits on. The MAF and bellows are all lined up correctly also.

The front of the lid needs to be pushed back past the air box. It doesn't sit even the lid, but behind the lip. Try to undo the lid and put the end tabs (ie. what is shown in your pic) like in at a 45* angle, and then bring down the front and lock it.

See if that helps.
Milo

psychocabbage 03-21-2003 09:07 PM

yeah.. it doesnt look like its pushed all the way back to me.. undo the clips as mentioned above, make sure all tabs are in their hangers and push towards the back, they should slide a tad bit more, then bring it down and clasp it.

JBH 03-21-2003 11:27 PM

I think my problem was the smooth bellows. I put the standard one back on and it let me move the lid back. The clips snapped down more firmly and the tabs are all the way against the holes. The lid seems to be matched up to the box better. If you get down and look closely you can still see the rim of the filter but the way the filter sits on top of the inner tray and the way the back of the lid is flat across the back I don't see how you would not be able to see the lip of the filter. I will take another pic in the morning and see what you guys think. Since the previous owner had it sitting on top of the airbox wrong I hope there hasn't been a bunch of junk sucked into the motor.

Camaro ChriSS 03-22-2003 12:14 AM

Fitment can be a SLIGHT bit of a problem with aftermarket lids. Its not uncommon to have a little of the gasket showing.

Make sure the front clips are going on without any heavy force needed to ensure that it is seating properly. You may find it impossible to get the four tabs at the back to fit in precisely, FWIW.

02 Blue Z 03-22-2003 04:14 AM

I have the same thing on my slp lid tried everything to get it to seal no luck.
took newspaper and made a small fire the fire and smoke would get sucked in on the side and back of the lid above the filter called slp they are going to take a look at my lild. the prob is the back of the neck on the lid hits the base of the filter housing. will not let the lid set down tight to the base on the back side.
who else has this prob.

JBH 03-22-2003 07:47 AM

02 Blue-That could be part of my problem. I can see on the neck of the lid and on the fan shroud behind the airbox where the 2 pcs rub together.