LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

LS6 crankshaft oil gallery plug part number/size?

Old 06-21-2011, 02:54 PM

LS6 crankshaft oil gallery plug part number/size?

Does anyone have the size and or part number for the crankshaft oil gallery plug that sits in the back of the crankshaft. It is behind the pilot bearing.
I think it is 16 mm. It wasnt in the crankshaft when we pulled the clutch on the 03 ZO6 we are working.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:39 PM

Re: LS6 crankshaft oil gallery plug part number/size?

Sorry I don't have the part number or size for you. But I do have some advice... next time don't use the grease/wet newspaper method to remove the pilot bearing. I HIGHLY doubt it just wasn't there, as you say, otherwise the engine wouldn't have any oil in it. You've probably pushed it into the crank. Good luck.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
Sorry I don't have the part number or size for you. But I do have some advice... next time don't use the grease/wet newspaper method to remove the pilot bearing. I HIGHLY doubt it just wasn't there, as you say, otherwise the engine wouldn't have any oil in it. You've probably pushed it into the crank. Good luck.
I agree with not using the method you state. We used the tool the service manual(FSM) called for, J Tool from Kent moore. Yes, I am sure you Highly doubt it wasnt there, but, it wasnt. There was an oil leak back there. too. We are finding more and more about this ZO6 as it was just purchased, used a few months ago. Also, the local dealership had done a clutch and transmission on it with the prior owner last year. Mileage is mid 20's. There were non factory bolts in the bellhousing, and some of the rearend/transmission sensor plugs were secured, and one wasnt even plugged in. Shady to say the least.
The size is 25.8 mm approximately and there are two numbers floating out there on the net. We went to a machine shop with the size, as dealerships had none out here. Dorman rep was there, we found the closest size, and the machine shop cut it to the same size as required on a lathe. He gave us two. The price was less than stealership as they wanted to pay list plus shipping overnight. INSANE.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:28 AM

Without that plug in the crank you should have a massive oil leak - I've seen it a couple times. If it's not too late, smear on a little threadlock around the plug.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
Without that plug in the crank you should have a massive oil leak - I've seen it a couple times. If it's not too late, smear on a little threadlock around the plug.
We did put thread sealant, RTV High Temp Copper.
Its a shame that some dealerships dont take their customers cars seriously.
The leak was bad. But, there wasnt many mils driven on it due to where we live and our jobs.