LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

LS6 block in some F bodies

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2003, 06:21 PM

ok, so from that video, (thanks JasonD - nice site you have here by the way.. hehe) we can conclude that the LS6 block has the advantage of reducing the force of the downstroke on the piston by allowing the air its pushing to go to adjacent cylinders.. so it is different and better to have the LS6 block..
Old 03-04-2003, 06:49 PM

Originally posted by NC Dude
Gents,

A LS6 block in your F-Body might sound cool, but the blocks are interchangable per GM.

A LS6 block in a F-Body means NOTHING from the factory.

Dude, you're taking this way to seriously. I certainly do not expect anything from having a LS6 block. This is just friendly banter. I guess I haven't been using enough Smilies. I don't really like the overuse of Similies but I now realize their value and will try to sprinkle them around a little more. And finally, yes it is fun to say you have an LS6 block.
Old 03-04-2003, 06:59 PM

Originally posted by psychocabbage
...we can conclude that the LS6 block has the advantage of reducing the force of the downstroke on the piston by allowing the air its pushing to go to adjacent cylinders.. so it is different and better to have the LS6 block..
Originally posted by JaysZ
...I certainly do not expect anything from having a LS6 block...
Unless, of course, there is an advantage.
Old 03-04-2003, 09:19 PM

Originally posted by JasonD
Check this out...

Go to:
[url]http://www.chevrolet.com/corvette/index.html?http://www.chevrolet.com/corvette/gallery.htm
and scroll down and to the right there are some Quicktime videos. One is of the LS1 and one is of the LS6. In the LS6 one they talk about the block, among other things.

Just something I thought you guys may find interest in.
Couldn't get that link to work.
Old 03-04-2003, 09:35 PM

Originally posted by NC Dude
Couldn't get that link to work.
After it doesn't work, just get rid of the [url] that's in the middle and then it should work.
Old 03-04-2003, 09:55 PM

Originally posted by JaysZ
Dude, you're taking this way to seriously. I certainly do not expect anything from having a LS6 block. This is just friendly banter. I guess I haven't been using enough Smilies. I don't really like the overuse of Similies but I now realize their value and will try to sprinkle them around a little more. And finally, yes it is fun to say you have an LS6 block.
Too seriously????....I'am just trying to clear the air on this matter.
Some owners want to claim they have a LS6 motor, when in fact, they have only a LS6 block. I want to dispell fact from fiction.

It may be 'fun' to say you have a LS6 block. However, don't try to pass it off as a LS6 motor. This has happened in the past beginning with the first generation cars. It has lead to over-priced and BOGUS Camaros'. Many unsuspecting buyers have paid a heavy toll only to find the Camaro they bought is a clone.

Please don't add to this confusion and myth. In a nut shell, be honest about your car
Old 03-04-2003, 11:06 PM

thats why we are saying we have FLS6B<-- for BLOCK..

I am not one to make it more than it is... my dyno tests speak for themselves.. car is still bone stock.. i am sure others may.. but then again you cant keep the few from doing what they dont know better about..
Old 03-28-2003, 10:58 AM

I'm just gonna bump this to the top...
Old 04-21-2003, 10:04 PM

LS-6 BLOCK for me. woo hoo.
Old 04-23-2003, 08:09 AM
Disciple

...A long (but excellent) thread worth checking out.

...someone (Shane?) asked a question I thought was important, ...yet not sure it was answered...
does anyone know if the LS6 block that is in some f-bodies *actually* has the extra machined windows, or is it just the casting?
I may (very easily) have overlooked it in this thread, but is the 'difference' in the casting or machining of the block?? (I'm wondering that even though some F-body's may have these "LS6" blocks, ...they may lack the machining that makes them "LS6" blocks...

Kevin
Old 04-23-2003, 08:10 AM

KevinK - I haven't seen this answered yet either (turns out it doesn't matter for me and my LS1 block... )

Shane
Old 04-23-2003, 08:17 AM
Disciple

(turns out it doesn't matter for me and my LS1 block... )
...Same here

...maybe they didn't put them in SOM cars (mine's an '02 SS vert in SOM) ...Aug. '01 build.

Kevin
Old 04-23-2003, 07:11 PM

Originally posted by KevinK

I may (very easily) have overlooked it in this thread, but is the 'difference' in the casting or machining of the block?? (I'm wondering that even though some F-body's may have these "LS6" blocks, ...they may lack the machining that makes them "LS6" blocks...

Kevin
I see what your saying, but I would have to say that an LS-6 block is just that, an LS-6 block. It would probably cost gm/nemak more to stop the process of machining early than it would to just finish the process. I don't think anything will differ between the two cars. F-car/Z06. My question would be, why would they not machine the windows?
Old 04-23-2003, 08:34 PM

Originally posted by KevinK
...Same here

...maybe they didn't put them in SOM cars (mine's an '02 SS vert in SOM) ...Aug. '01 build.

Kevin
My SOM Z28 has an LS6 block. Built on 4/9/2002.

Steve
Old 04-24-2003, 04:17 PM

Originally posted by Beast96Z
I see what your saying, but I would have to say that an LS-6 block is just that, an LS-6 block. It would probably cost gm/nemak more to stop the process of machining early than it would to just finish the process. I don't think anything will differ between the two cars. F-car/Z06. My question would be, why would they not machine the windows?
Because they're as-cast rectangular windows on the LS6 block? The LS1 block has circular holes machined in.

Quick Reply: LS6 block in some F bodies