LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

best mods for stock camaro

Old 01-27-2013, 03:46 AM

Talking best mods for stock camaro

I have a 2000 z28 bone stock camaro and I am new to mods and I wanted some advice as to where to start as far as mods for my car. I have about 1500 to start so u was wondering what are the most essential and basic mods in order to build up frim there
Old 01-27-2013, 04:05 AM

Re: best mods for stock camaro

What do u want from it.... Example : do u want to drag race it? Do u want to auto cross it... Do u want it to be a trailer queen show car????

Larry (Popo8) Co-owner
LTXtech.com
Old 01-27-2013, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by balboa25
I have a 2000 z28 bone stock camaro and I am new to mods and I wanted some advice as to where to start as far as mods for my car. I have about 1500 to start so u was wondering what are the most essential and basic mods in order to build up frim there
Good luck on getting any replies to what you want to find out. From what I have learned so far is that you have to use your search to find out what you want to know. Only thing I have come up with is that these questions are asked too many times and people don't want to bother answering the same questions over and over I believe. Well that my .02 on the subject and I'm sure others make to offense to this but this is my opinion. But if I had to choose I would say headers and a good stall convertor if you have A4 and a tune. Oh I forgot a aftermarket lid and all the free mods. Go to installuniversity.com you will alot of good info.

Last edited by theMOSTWANTED; 01-27-2013 at 09:06 PM. Reason: made a mistake
Old 01-27-2013, 09:41 PM

If you can get rid of your cats (you didn't say where you are from), I would do pretty much the entire exhaust first. And I personally wouldn't spend money on a tune if you have a manual. First thing - lid, bellows, and hack up the bottom part of the filter tray for the increased airflow. Then do the hot water through the throttle body bypass. I agree with stall on an A4, but I would think about a gear reduction too unless you need the car for tons of miles.

-Geoff
Old 01-28-2013, 02:15 PM

hello, if you really have stock cats and decide to remove them DONT throw them away they have platinum inside and are worth some money $$$ im told. also i have an old article from may 2004 super chevy mag "ls1 do's & dont's" worth finding. cheers!
Old 01-28-2013, 04:02 PM

Camaro Z28 . com has been very helpful for me and many others like me ......
how many miles is on your car? is the car a A4 or M6 ?
First you need a cold air intake $300 next full exhaust $1200. that should get you started
Old 01-28-2013, 04:02 PM

Camaro Z28 . com has been very helpful for me and many others like me ......
how many miles is on your car? is the car a A4 or M6 ?
First you need a cold air intake $300 next full exhaust $1200. that should get you started
Old 01-29-2013, 08:20 AM

Lid,LT's,CB,Free mods.

These cars(LS1) have been around for 15ýrs there is lots of info out there.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by theMOSTWANTED
Good luck on getting any replies to what you want to find out. From what I have learned so far is that you have to use your search to find out what you want to know. Only thing I have come up with is that these questions are asked too many times and people don't want to bother answering the same questions over and over I believe. Well that my .02 on the subject and I'm sure others make to offense to this but this is my opinion. But if I had to choose I would say headers and a good stall convertor if you have A4 and a tune. Oh I forgot a aftermarket lid and all the free mods. Go to installuniversity.com you will alot of good info.
You got help, why do slag people for it?

I don't visit this forum everyday but when I do I try to help.

Sorry OP about the Hijack
Old 01-29-2013, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by transamtom
You got help, why do slag people for it?

I don't visit this forum everyday but when I do I try to help.

Sorry OP about the Hijack
I admit I got some help but I had to search for most and I'm not slagging anyone for it. This thread should be full of advice. Everyone should have an opinion on this. Thats all I'm saying. The feed back is slow. Nothing to get offensive about. I was just suggesting if he wanted some advice he could do a search cause these questions have been asked a numerous times and how do I know cause i was in the same shoes 2 weeks and I was told to do a search also. Sorry OP also about the Hijack no harm intended.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

The first thing you need is an airbox lid, like this one:

http://www.slponline.com/view_product_site.asp?P=21045

Expect to pay $90-110. There are lots of companies that make them, and they only differ cosmetically. You'll get 10-15 additional horsepower from this mod, and it only takes a few minutes to install. You might consider a high-flow K&N air filter at the same time (or at any time later).

Next, you should upgrade your exhaust. There are a few options here, depending on how far you plan to go with modifications, but the least expensive option is a cat-back exhaust. This leaves your factory manifolds, Y-pipe, and catalytic converters in place. There are LOTS of different options with different sounds, looks (the tips), costs, and power advantages. Check out LS1sounds.com for a bunch of great sound clips that let you hear what each one sounds like.

If you want to go whole-hog on the exhaust, probably the best option is to get a set of stainless steel longtube headers from a company like Kooks or QTP, plus a true dual exhaust like the one offered by Texas Speed (or, if you have the resources, you can fab your own).

After you have done the airbox and the exhaust, I think the next most important mod is subframe connectors from UMI, BMR, Strano, or any of several others. There are a few varieties: some bolt on to the frame and some weld on; some are two-point and some are three-point. I have BMR three-point bolt-ons, personally. Subframe connectors link the points where the engine cradle and the rear lower control arms bolt to the frame. Three-point versions also link in the transmission tunnel brace. The added stiffness from this bracing will not make your car faster, but it will make it much more stable over rough surfaces. I notice the difference most when I drive over a particularly bad set of railroad tracks in my area. Before I installed the SFCs, I would go out of my way to avoid crossing those tracks because of the horrible way the car sounded and felt as I drove over; now it's no big deal at all.

Some people will tell you SFCs make no difference. These people feel this way for one of the following reasons:
1. They bought and installed SFCs before their car's unibody had time to develop metal fatigue, so their car stayed stiff like new.
2. They never drive over rough surfaces
3. They're parroting what they heard from someone else and have no personal experience of their own.

Next, replace your stock shocks and springs. The details here are entirely dependent on your plans for the car. Give Sam Strano (stranoparts.com) a call, discuss your plans and budget, and buy whatever he recommends.

Beyond that, let us know what your plans are for your car. Do you want a dedicated drag car? A stoplight warrior? A show car? Do you want to go autocrossing or road racing? What's your budget and timeline? How fast do you want to be able to go? Do you have the automatic or the manual transmission?
Old 01-31-2013, 01:44 AM

I basically say same stuff as the above post. My recommended order:

Lid, shifter (M6), catback, basic suspension (rear lca's, subframes, maybe a TQ arm and PH bar).

Next round: gears (M6, if your going high hp = save for a 12bolt.) If auto, a stall and shift kit. Then longtubes and finally heads and cam.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:19 AM

has the OP ever come back?

lol

Larry (Popo8) Co-owner
LTXtech.com
Old 02-01-2013, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by popo8
has the OP ever come back?

lol

Larry (Popo8) Co-owner