CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   LS1 Based Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/ls1-based-engine-tech-19/)
-   -   LS1 Rocker Arms (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/ls1-based-engine-tech-19/ls1-rocker-arms-196533/)

mikem94Z 11-24-2003 10:55 AM

LS1 Rocker Arms

Anyone who has exprienced the rocker arm problemw on the LS1s, help!!!

When looking at the arms how do you tell which are bad and which are not? Is there a sign to look for on the arm or retainer or something?I found rollers on the drain plug when I changed the oil.At first just one,now (3000 mi later) I found about 10-15 of them.

Speed Inc. 11-24-2003 11:02 AM

I would pull the valve covers and look over all the rockers. There will be a noticeable difference in tension on the rockers that are broke.

I would look into a set of Yella Terra or similar rockers to get away from this on going problem with LS1's.

good luck

Larry

SSquared 11-24-2003 12:11 PM

I haven't experienced this problem on my LS1, however I did have a set of roller rockers on my '70 350ci Corvette. This motor has solid lifters and I noticed a lifter getting louder, so I removed the valve cover and found several roller bearings laying around the nooks and crannies of the head. I used a magnet to scan around the valve springs, and around everything on the head to fish them all out. If any made it to the oil pan, I'll catch them during the next motor rebuild.
I found the rocker was missing the c-clip retainer. I replaced them all with Harland Sharp roller rockers and check them carefully each time I adjust valves.

I wouldn't recommend running the motor until it's repaired. I would even suggest having it towed to where ever you plan on having it fixed. Good luck.

mikem94Z 11-24-2003 01:14 PM

Originally posted by Speed Inc.
I would pull the valve covers and look over all the rockers. There will be a noticeable difference in tension on the rockers that are broke.

I would look into a set of Yella Terra or similar rockers to get away from this on going problem with LS1's.

good luck

Larry

Thanks for the info.Unfortunately I can not afford to do what I want to and install the Slp's,Crane's or Yella Terra's.I am just going to replace the broken ones with GM stuff until I can afford better.

Speed Inc. 11-24-2003 02:07 PM

well if you need any rockers ...just give us a call and we might have a few laying around we can help you out with

Larry

96SFLZ 11-24-2003 06:08 PM

There is a TSB for the rocker arm problem and I don't believe you have to be under warranty to have it fixed...considering they didn't issue the TSB until Sept. of last year and it does effect '98s. Take it in (to a dealership) and see what they say.

TSB Bulletin No.: 02-06-01-029

Date: September, 2002

INFORMATION

Subject:
Needle Bearings Found in Oil Pan
(Replace Rocker Arms)

Models:

1998-2002 Chevrolet Camaro, Corvette
1998-2002 Pontiac Firebird
and more