LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Is the LS1 that much more powerful than LT1 SS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 01:17 PM

Re: Is the LS1 that much more powerful than LT1 SS?

Originally Posted by falchulk
It cracks me up that in these discussions its always the LS1's that are driven badly to get 14.0's But the lt1's are always driven perfectly. Thats is just strange.
With LS1s having ~ 50 more hp, that's generally about how it goes.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:22 PM

I'm sorry, I think I'm gonna go against the general concencess here, and I own a LT1. No way in hell did my 99 LS1 Formula feel slower than my current 95 T/A. Quite the opposite. I still remember test driving my 95 before I traded the 99 in. My LS1 accelerated sooo much smoother than my current LT1. It definetly felt and was faster, but granted it had a 4.10 gear in it. I think the LS1 for sure should feel faster than the LT1. Even with the mods I have now I would how I'd fare against a LS1, although after I replace this factory optispark it might accelerate smoother and faster than it ever has.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:05 PM

Your free to go against everyone..however my experience was going from a 16 second cutlass.. and hoping into 1 lt1, driving it.. coming back to the lot.. try the ls1.. then hoping in another lt1...then yet another LS1. 4 cars total..

and yes the gear made a big difference in feel (uh...that was a given I thought)..
Old 10-27-2004, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by My Iroc Z28
well im not sure about that one either but 2 cars with different hp ratings can't be equal performers....
Damnit. This is gonna start a flame war--- AGAIN, but here we go. WS-6 and SS cars are an appearance package, with minor handling upgrades. Even the window sticker says appearance package. The engine is the same that's in the corvettes,fbodies are just underrated to keep the 'vette at the top of the GM food chain and help justify its $45,000+ price tag. Just as the upgraded power ratings of an SS help ease people's minds about spending the extra ~$3000ish bucks for an SLP model. Doesn't really mean anything, especially if you were to ever LOOK at those ram air hoods and "performance exhaust." They don't ram air, and the exhaust doesn't perform. And if you think 320hp is going to make up .86seconds over 310, you're smoking some good sh*t.

Furthermore, it has been DYNO PROVEN time and time again and again and again that LS-1's make just as much and more power in the lower RPMs that LT-1s do. The "lt-1 down low, ls-1 up top" is a seat of the pants feeling daydream. The LT-1 heads don't flow as well, that's why the ls-1 KEEPS pulling up through the RPM band, while the lt-1 starts to flatten out, further enforcing the idea of ls-1's just coming alive all of a sudden... if you were to look over you'd probably see the LS-1 cars are right there, even down low, with the lt-1 cars. It's odd that in people's sigs, the 60' times are always close, whether it's ls-1 or lt-1... 2.2, 2.1, 2.0, etc. , with slicks? the same. 1.7, 1.6, whether it's lt-1 or ls-1. Weird considering the lt-1 supposedly pulls so much harder on the low end, right? 0-60 numbers tell it all. anywhere from 5.0-5.5 seconds (depending on your source) for the ls-1 fbodies, and anywhere from 5.8-6.4seconds for lt-1 fbodies, again, depending on your source. Where is the lt-1's legendary down-low power?

Seat of the pants feeling means nothing, other than impressing passengers. Ever driven or ridden in a mustang? they FEEL very very fast, when in fact, aside from newer models, the performance doesn't add up to the sensation of sitting in it under acceleration.

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
Comparing the Z28 and SS? Yeah, let's start comparing to the 'Vette and the GTO while we're at it!
This is just silly. The problem here, is that there is slightly more difference between a GTO & Vette than just some wheels, a hood, a spoiler, and minimal suspension tweaks.

Last edited by BirchMan98z; 10-28-2004 at 12:24 AM.
Old 10-28-2004, 07:24 PM

I certainly did not intend for my original question to start yet another debate about LS1s vs LT1s ........I simply had not driven an LT1 for about a year, and after driving my "slightly" modded LS1 for a while, the good 'ol LT1 just didn't feel right..........after checking everything out though, the SS is ok, it's just that my LS1 out-performs it very noticeably (to say it nicely) . Thanks for all the replies; hopefully everyone here respects both engines & their capabilities....I definitely do, and won't be arguing over which is better.....that can go on forever.

I believe I am going to sell the SS, however, since I really don't need both

Last edited by guess1; 10-28-2004 at 07:35 PM.
Old 10-28-2004, 09:16 PM

[QUOTE=BirchMan98z] Damnit. This is gonna start a flame war--- AGAIN, but here we go. WS-6 and SS cars are an appearance package, with minor handling upgrades. Even the window sticker says appearance package. The engine is the same that's in the corvettes,fbodies are just underrated to keep the 'vette at the top of the GM food chain and help justify its $45,000+ price tag. Just as the upgraded power ratings of an SS help ease people's minds about spending the extra ~$3000ish bucks for an SLP model. Doesn't really mean anything, especially if you were to ever LOOK at those ram air hoods and "performance exhaust." They don't ram air, and the exhaust doesn't perform. And if you think 320hp is going to make up .86seconds over 310, you're smoking some good sh*t.

Furthermore, it has been DYNO PROVEN time and time again and again and again that LS-1's make just as much and more power in the lower RPMs that LT-1s do. The "lt-1 down low, ls-1 up top" is a seat of the pants feeling daydream. The LT-1 heads don't flow as well, that's why the ls-1 KEEPS pulling up through the RPM band, while the lt-1 starts to flatten out, further enforcing the idea of ls-1's just coming alive all of a sudden... if you were to look over you'd probably see the LS-1 cars are right there, even down low, with the lt-1 cars. It's odd that in people's sigs, the 60' times are always close, whether it's ls-1 or lt-1... 2.2, 2.1, 2.0, etc. , with slicks? the same. 1.7, 1.6, whether it's lt-1 or ls-1. Weird considering the lt-1 supposedly pulls so much harder on the low end, right? 0-60 numbers tell it all. anywhere from 5.0-5.5 seconds (depending on your source) for the ls-1 fbodies, and anywhere from 5.8-6.4seconds for lt-1 fbodies, again, depending on your source. Where is the lt-1's legendary down-low power?

I agree, the WS6 and SS hood are so restrictive its actually pretty funny.
However, you should be able to tell if theres something wrong with the LT1.
I would never imply that the LT1 is by any means slow, just not faster than a LS1. That was the question right?
Old 10-28-2004, 09:54 PM

i've seen the ram air and ss hoods and they don't even look like that work at all... but in physic's the meaning of true ram air is reached at mach 1 speeds and i don't think any z could reach that so i really don't consider those ram air of any kind
Old 10-29-2004, 09:15 AM

LT1 owner so take that along with my post. i definately think there was something wrong with the LT1 you drove and get it scanned before you nickel and dime yourself to death. i ran an SS LS1 on the freeway. we ran twice. at 55 mph i was in front and puched it, dropped to 4000 ish in second gear and walked away. not just beat or just held the lead, walked away. we ran a second time from 85. he punched it first (he was an M6) and got the jump on me. at 125 ish he was still very slowly pulling on me and had about a half a car between my front bumper and his back bumper. i was not going to catch him but his acceleration away from me was dissapearing. i have all the bolt ons and shorties. stock head and cam. he had 1.7 rockers and suspension upgrades. IMHO the LS1 is faster at the top end in similar vehicles. to say the LS1 is so much more powerful though just doesnt seem right to me. that also applies to the LT1 lower being better than the LS1. these differences are so small that any driver on any day makes all the difference in which car is faster.

david
Old 10-29-2004, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by dren70
LT1 owner so take that along with my post. i definately think there was something wrong with the LT1 you drove and get it scanned before you nickel and dime yourself to death. i ran an SS LS1 on the freeway. we ran twice. at 55 mph i was in front and puched it, dropped to 4000 ish in second gear and walked away. not just beat or just held the lead, walked away. we ran a second time from 85. he punched it first (he was an M6) and got the jump on me. at 125 ish he was still very slowly pulling on me and had about a half a car between my front bumper and his back bumper. i was not going to catch him but his acceleration away from me was dissapearing. i have all the bolt ons and shorties. stock head and cam. he had 1.7 rockers and suspension upgrades. IMHO the LS1 is faster at the top end in similar vehicles. to say the LS1 is so much more powerful though just doesnt seem right to me. that also applies to the LT1 lower being better than the LS1. these differences are so small that any driver on any day makes all the difference in which car is faster.

david
First off your LT1 was modded and the LS1 you raced could have been bone stock with a granny shifter behind the wheel. We all know $$ = speed so it's no surprise that a LT1 with more mods then an LS1 can hang with or win in a race. But stock vs stock is what this was about and the bottom line is this. LT1 will trap around 97-101 and hit peak TQ at 2400 rpm's. The LS1 will trap between 103-107 and hit peak TQ around 3500 rpm's. When comparing the same gears and trannys the LS1 walks away after 80mph. It's close for the 1/8 mile yes but after that it gets ugly fast unless the LS1 driver really sucks.
Old 10-29-2004, 10:53 AM

LS1 for sure is faster
Old 10-29-2004, 11:22 AM

I have an LS1 and an LT1 car both running similar ET's, the LT1 pulls a best of 1.96 60' with 3.73's on drag radials and the LS1 pulls 2.02 60's with 3.23's on street tires, you can also see the 1/8th and 1/4 mph difference in the sig, both are automatics, and notice how the LS1 is faster in the 1/4 yet slower in the 1/8th

even with both cars running that close together, i can feel a noticable difference in the way the LS1 accelerates from a roll at around 20mph

my camaro just doesnt feel as fast when i stomp the gas to pass someone, even though i fly by'em, it just dont feel that fast at all, but it is a little more fun to drive because has better throttle responce and it shifts pretty hard

the trans am is just so damn smooth it feels like i'm driving a lounge chair, its nice to have somethin this fast and being able to keep it nice and smooth, which is why i bought an LT1 car to mod, and keeping the LS1 stock to drive everyday

Last edited by camaro81; 10-29-2004 at 11:25 AM.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by 97bowtie
With LS1s having ~ 50 more hp, that's generally about how it goes.
I have an LS1 and agree! My point was that the LT1 guys have to drive perfect to get a 14.0. But they never say that the average lt1 driver never gets there. But they do make it a point to say the average ls1 driver will not get any where near its best time.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by dren70

david
I'm sure your decent mod list has a little bit to do with this, especially beating a stock ls-1 with suspension mods. lol
Old 10-29-2004, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by falchulk
I have an LS1 and agree! My point was that the LT1 guys have to drive perfect to get a 14.0. But they never say that the average lt1 driver never gets there. But they do make it a point to say the average ls1 driver will not get any where near its best time.
ran 14.1 w/ 2.160ft in a bone stock 74,000mile AUTO. First time racing on a drag strip ever on the first pass. I dont consider myself a perfect driver. If I had driven it perfect I would have seen 13.90s
Old 10-30-2004, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
ran 14.1 w/ 2.160ft in a bone stock 74,000mile AUTO. First time racing on a drag strip ever on the first pass. I dont consider myself a perfect driver. If I had driven it perfect I would have seen 13.90s
Um... it's an auto. There's no error to be made unless you slam into the wall or let off the gas too early. Sorry to break it to you but you won't be seeing 2/10 of a second by improving your automatic driving skills (). Maybe with tires & gears.

Quick Reply: Is the LS1 that much more powerful than LT1 SS?