LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Low Oil Pressure at idle and engine ticking noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 06:36 PM

Low Oil Pressure at idle and engine ticking noise

I have a 2002 35th yr anniversary Z28...
Recently I took my car in to Firestone to have the main bearing oil seal and engine oil filter housing replaced due to a bad oil leak.

Since the repair I had only driven about 6 miles when I hear a ticking noise.
Took it back to mechanic and they kept it for 3 days said they never heard the noise and everything was fine...so I went out of town. 2 hours on the road and the ticking noise starts again. I took the car to a local Firestone and they looked up what repairs I had done and kept the car for 2 days...they also said they never heard the ticking noise and couldnt find any problems. I drove for 10 miles and it started again...I pulled over called the original Firestone and held the phone to the engine to hear the noise. Firestone said I would have to file a warranty claim...I have done that but they dont know what is wrong and I would have to take it to a dealership.

Firestone told me I probably damaged the engine due to the oil leak BUT I checked the oil every morning...the car has never been run with low oil at all.

Firestone had to pull the Transmission for the rear main seal and raise the engine to change the engine oil filter gasket could something have not been replaced properly or something clogged up...because this problem didnt start till after I had the repairs. any help would be most appreciative. I bought this car brand new and have been the only driver.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:46 PM

Re: Low Oil Pressure at idle and engine ticking noise

Generally low oil pressure at idle is a result of the high clearance in the main bearings.

What exactly did they replace? Did they actually replace a crankshaft bearing? The oil filter housing is cast into the block, so they didn't change anything there. The oil seal is on the filter, not the block - the block just has a machined face. Could it have been the oil pickup gasket? Did they actually pull the crank out?

It sounds like you got screwed. I would file that warranty claim and get yourself a good lawyer. Don't let a tire shop do crap like that to your car again, either. Find a good performance shop or a dealer you can trust.

-Geoff
Old 09-19-2018, 08:49 AM

You might even be able to slot some metal shavings in the oil if that is whats wrong. To me it definatly sounds like a heavy load bearing in the bottom end. Lifters and other top end stuff has a more high pitched sound to them.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:26 PM
Administrator

The thread starter signed off immediately after his first post, and never came back and signed in again. Typical "one-and-done" member.