LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

I finally got a me a 99 z28

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 04:36 PM

Re: I finally got a me a 99 z28

The codes that my car is throwing are:P1635-P0507-P0481-P0418-P0135-P0480-P0101-P0154-P0412.Well these are all the codes but someone said since I have the LT headers without a tune it will throw all kinds of codes. I don't see any cats undre the car either. Injuneer I appreciate all the help you can give me on these codes.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by theMOSTWANTED
The codes that my car is throwing are:P1635-P0507-P0481-P0418-P0135-P0480-P0101-P0154-P0412.Well these are all the codes but someone said since I have the LT headers without a tune it will throw all kinds of codes. I don't see any cats undre the car either. Injuneer I appreciate all the help you can give me on these codes.
Lets go in order:

The 0101 code is MAF code it probably failed,but try cleaning it with electrical parts cleaner.

The 0135 code is front 02 driverside heater circuit.

The 0154 code is no activity front 02 sensor driverside its either not plugged in or the wires burned.

The 0412 is secondary air injection,probably deleted without tuning it out.

The 0418 is the pump relay for the above code.

The 0480 and 0481 are the cooling fan relays.

The 0507 idle control system rpm higher than expected(high idle)

Check the IAC valve on the TB for operation and dirt.

The 1635 is 5 volt reference circuit #1 for The A/C pressure sensor The MAP sensor and the EGR.

The PCM is not seeing the correct voltage for these sensors.

You should get the PCM tuned for your mods then go from there.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:37 AM

So I wil check to see if the o2 is plugged up on the driver side. Everything else going you think it may just be the tune. I cleaned the MAF and IAC sensors and since then my idle problem has been ok unless I have my heater on then idles up and down a little but when I turn it off it idles back to normal.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

I'm a little worried about the cooling fan relay codes. You should confirm that your fans turn on and off with the car's temperature. Very high temps (and the knock that results) would both cause the car to cut timing significantly, which might result in the sluggish behavior you're describing.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:47 PM

The cars temp gauge is reading 205 so car is not over heating. I believe the fans are working correctly. When I purchased the car I drove it home 5 hour trip with no problems over heating temp stayed 205-210 the whole trip. Is there any other reason I would get these cooling fan relay codes.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:57 PM

I deleted my egr and air pump today and found a major leak coming from the egr pipe that connects in the intake the bolt was stripped out and I just pulled it straight up. Could this have been the cause of the problems I have been having. The air pump also had some dry rotted air lines connected also. I haven't had a chance to block the headers off yet. I won't be able to do this until tomorrow but I was just wondering would this have been the reason for the lack of performance.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:04 PM

I also pulled the number 1 spark plug and they had AC delco plugs but they were gapped at 40. Is this ok or should they be gapped at 60. Should I go ahead and change all the plugs just to be on the safe side. I was thinking of the NGK tr55s. Any advice on this issue also.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:16 AM
Administrator

If someone added a manual fan switch, it might be causing the fan relay codes. Do the fans appear to turn on and off when they are supposed to?
Old 01-18-2013, 06:00 PM

I haven't noticed the fans coming on at all. What temp does the fans enable? My temp gauge never seems to go past 210.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:24 AM

Hi, picked up a 2000 A4 for about the same $. Are your headers block huggers or longtube and do you have a off road y pipe. I went with Texas Speed longtubes and a 3" off road y with a cat delete and Magnaflow cat back. The T/S headers are worth twice the cost. Upfront a Fast Toys ram air into a slp lid and all the free mods---Change the plugs---The pass rear is a SOB and mine was factory with 100K on it. MSD wires and you could seafoam the throttle body and the vac line to the power brakes. The end result is a 2004 vette tried to pass me and it was no way. He was pissed, and I was laughing because What I had into my car was the sales tax on his. Wait till I get my tune.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:04 PM

I can't wait till I get those kind of results. i'm still chasing down codes and so worth. My cars rides so sluggish. When I get on the gas it seems like its flooding out or something. I removed my egr and air pump system. I found a broken wire on my o2 sensor on the passenger side it was the purple wire. Both the o2s look like **** so I'm going to change those out. but whats got me puzzled is that my fans are not coming on and I have codes P0480 and P0481. The temp doesn't go past 210 and I get a low level water light and now and again but the coolant is full and the car doesn't seem to be over heating. And that other code P1635 is mind boggling. I'm just trying to get all the bugs out before I go have my tune. i might have to take to someone and see whats going on but don't have the extra cash to waist on something I might be able to do myself. When I spend some big cash I plan on it being my tune.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:20 PM

Hi, Look for a bleeder somewhere in the cooling system. You could have air trapped. If you go to a hypertech 160 degree thermostat which if you look hard I got for $40 shipped, then get their fan management which Is about $50 shipped from summit to control your fans, turning them on earlier. If you go to a ram air system which I recommend, you will need this anyway. The tuner could also do this, but you really should do all the upgrades first. Also check the throttle body to see if the cable is adjusted to allow full throttle. Don't put alot of faith in the temp gauge, GM evidently saved a few pennies there. There are coolant additives that lower temp by 10 degrees or more. Get 4 or 5 jugs of distilled water and Prestone. Drain the rad then fill/drain with the distilled water until it is clear. Then drain and add coolant. Tip, don't use Mobil one or Fram filters. You might want to due a trans fluid/filter change---cheap insurance and might perk up your baby. Good luck---get in touch when you upgrade your stereo, if it is a Monsoon it is a clusterf**k of 2 and 4 ohm tweeters and woofers. Good luck, theswe cars have alot of bang for the buck. one more thing, consider the BBK alum manifold, better than GM.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:26 PM

I forgot, get Denso wideband O2 sensors for the front. The rear ones just are to make sure the front ones are working so I don't think you need to change them.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:22 PM

The 160 degree thermostat and fan switch is definately on the list. My cats are deleted so I don't have the rear o2s. I will change the front ones tomorrow to see. I hope this is the reason my car is holding back performance. The motor idles nice and strong some time it doesn't make any engine noises. It just bogs down under a load. It seems as if I may have an air leak somewhere. It sounds like I hear around the intake but I just can't pin point it. When I'm on the driver side it sounds as if its coming from the passenger side but when I got to that side it sounds like its coming from the driver side. I tried spraying starter fluid around the air lines and noticed no change in idle. Are you supposed to be able to hear the air traveling through the intake while the car is idling? I pulled the number one spark plug and they look ok doesn't seem to be running rich judging by the plug but there was some black sut around the glass part of the plug.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:23 AM

My cooling fans are not coming on. I checked the fuses and relays. I'm getting power to the relays and fuses. I ran a hotwire to fans and they do come on. Now what?

Quick Reply: I finally got a me a 99 z28