CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   LS1 Based Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/ls1-based-engine-tech-19/)
-   -   help deciding on an ls1 or a lightning (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/ls1-based-engine-tech-19/help-deciding-ls1-lightning-96593/)

94 green drop top 03-21-2003 02:07 AM

help deciding on an ls1 or a lightning

Im pretty sure what the response is gonna be, but I was hoping you guys would give me some info.

My budget ($20000)will allow for a 2000 or 2001ish lightning, or a vert z28. I have a vert 6, blown head gasket, tired of dealing with, and want power, but if i do get another fbody, I really want a vert again. I have heard that Ls take the maros in the 1/4, but we stomp em on the highway from a roll. Any opinoins or stories?

Anything you got to talk bout woudl be helpful.

Thanks guys.

SS_Thunder 03-21-2003 07:29 AM

Hmm, stock for stock the LS1 should beat a Lightning in just about any race. However the times they run in the 1/4 are close enough that driver error could easily cause the LS1 to lose. Once you start dealing with modded Lightnings, they are a fast machine, and hard to beat in the 1/4 if they get a good launch. It is not hard to get a Lightning pushing well over 500lb-ft of torque...but they're heavy...and the LS1 responds well to mods as well, especially heads/cam....
Ultimately it's up to you, I own an LS1, but have driven a buddy's Lightning (with just about every mod they make for the L) and it is a NICE truck...the interior of the L is alot nicer than the interior of the Camaro, something else to consider. In the end, i'm a die-hard F-body fan but the Lightning is a SWEET truck.
Also, I had to have a manual...not an option in a Lightning...at least not yet

2002Z28SSConv 03-21-2003 08:29 AM

It all depends on what YOU want. One's a truck. One's a car. One handles pretty good the other a little less. One can be made very fast with minor mods. The other takes a bit more time and $ to keep up. One you can carry a sheet of plywood in. The other won't. One you can cary 4 people in. The other won't.

My point is, it all depends on what you are looking for. If you're a single guy with no other vehicle, I'd say the truck. If you have another car or truck or a family in your present or near future I'd probably get the Z.

LurkerLS1 03-21-2003 08:37 AM

I personally would take the truck. You've already got a droptop Camaro, so you know what that's all about. I would pick the Lightning just because it's more unique, and the idea of a really fast supercharged pickup is appealing to me, although overall I'm not really a truck sort of guy.

2002Z28SSConv is right, though. Which way are YOU leaning? It doesn't matter what we'd want to do. We're not going to be the ones spending your money.

psychocabbage 03-21-2003 09:35 AM

Its more of whether or not you are a truck person. I am not.. I hate them with a passion.. I have a 1999 F150 4X4 that has put on about 5K miles in 1 year.. most of that moving stuff.. other than that, it sits in the driveway taking up space.. I would rather have a station wagon than a truck.

Speed belongs to cars not trucks.. i dont care what all you do to your average truck it will still be unsafe at high speeds...

stik6shift98 03-21-2003 01:12 PM

i would go with thelightning if u like trucks....

but if your into sports cars then get a z....you will probably also get less tickets with a truck....and lower insurance

OutlawLS! 03-21-2003 02:24 PM

IMHO,

I do not think Lightnings are worth the money, unless you have cash out the ying yang. I do like them but I think they are overpriced and are just not worth it. You can just get a regular cab f150 and upgrade it to what the lightning has and you have already saved yourself alot of money. On the other hand like other people said, One is a car and other is a truck. It depends on what you want. Lightnings are more rare though. If you are looking for performace, stick with a ls1, you won't regret it. I have seen stock mustang gt's beat lightnings. I'm not dumping on lightnings cuz they do haul a**. Just my thoughts. Good luck thought finding what you want.

rncotton 03-21-2003 02:53 PM

The fact that you came to the LS1 section and asked this question tells you what you want to do.

You want the LS1.

venomcure98 03-21-2003 04:30 PM

I have driven both and the lightning is built more solid and has great power. But if you want an American Icon that tears ass in every gear get the Z28 :bow:

roadracer247 03-21-2003 04:45 PM

If I remember right you said you have $20000 to spend, right? Well for that price you will be able to afford a low milage Camaro or T/A. But I am almost sure you won'y be able to afford a 2001 Lightning. That will run you at least $23000 and most are over $25000. I have driven both and the qualitly inside a L is better but you can only carry two people. But you can tow 5000 pounds and still run a 12 second 1/4 with some mods! COOL! BUt I say it is up to you! GOOD LUCK!:cool:

Miss SS 03-21-2003 05:46 PM

I personally like camaros more, and as a woman, I would look to see who is driving a camaro whereas a FORD. My best friend has a lightning and yes they are fast but I still won the race. I will admit I actually had to put some effort into it, but I still got the job done. If you would do something cool to the lightning like this, -->

http://thunderandlightningperformanc...andwheels.html

but on a black truck. well then now you are talking about something totally different.
-jes

blacknight 03-21-2003 07:28 PM

I would get the lightning. I wish sometimes that I had a new one instead of my LS1, especially when I try to go to the beach and my camaro has no room for my stuff. With a lightning you can make those things haul you know what. With a highflow cat and catback, mass air, computer chip and 3.73 gears you'll running in the mid-high 12's easily. I know this because I subscribe to muscle mustangs and fast fords and 5.0 and super fords magazines. I have a 5.0 fox stang along with my LS1.

chpmnsws6 03-21-2003 07:40 PM

i ALMOST bought a lightning but went back to my true love (the f-body!!!!). they are about the same so pick if u wanna hall lumber or ppl. remember people like the ws-6's more than any truck

mike

dmnall 03-22-2003 01:26 AM

well if it were me personally, I would get the F-body, if I wanted a truck then I would just buy a Chev/GMC Truck depends on what you really want.. To me personally, the newer trucks suck ass compared to a 67 - 72 Chev/gmc truck... I would love to see if a Lightning could actually out perform my 68 C10 LWB P/U.. I have a feeling that my 68 would tear that F$%d L a new one... Trust me I have had Mustang 5.0 HO, try to race me against my C10 and no contest my chev tore them up w/ out a problem... Now if I wanted a newer truck, then I would pick up one 99 - 01 Silverado 1/2 ton and add a Stall Converter, Supercharger, bigger cam and a set of Edelbrocks Etec 200 heads... Then the L would not be able to kill that Silverado since you can pick these trucks up w/ Extra cab for around depending on your area for around 15 - 20 K... Maybe even go for 96 - 98 1500 trucks as well and then go mod heaven...