CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   LS1 Based Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/ls1-based-engine-tech-19/)
-   -   Foolish question about Duals (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/ls1-based-engine-tech-19/foolish-question-about-duals-127824/)

TerrorDome 06-02-2003 03:04 AM

Foolish question about Duals

Do '98 z28's already come with headers?

-if not, can i just add true duals (x-pipe) to the stock exhaust setup?

-do true duals come with catalytic converters?

-if not, how do i pass emmissions if i move to like, california?

-is the most powerful set up true duals w/headers, w/o cats?

u8dusst 06-02-2003 03:12 AM

Re: Foolish question about Duals

Originally posted by TerrorDome
Do '98 z28's already come with headers?

-if not, can i just add true duals (x-pipe) to the stock exhaust setup?

-do true duals come with catalytic converters?

-if not, how do i pass emmissions if i move to like, california?

-is the most powerful set up true duals w/headers, w/o cats?

All Fbodies come with very restrictive exhaust manifolds, not performance headers.

If you really really wanted to, I guess you could make a true dual setup off the manifolds, but it wouldnt be easy and it kinda defeats the purpose.

Since true duals are custom, its all up to you weather or not they come with cats or not.

Yes, the most powerful exhaust systems consist of LT headers and no cats. True duals do not typically offer more power than the standard Y-pipe setup. Just a unique sound and a chance to be different. Or at least it was. :)

TerrorDome 06-02-2003 03:26 AM

U 8 DUSST

thanks for the reply... looks like it'll be a loong time before i get that then.

still saving for a house :D

but how do you guys pass emmissions w/o cats?

i may move to cali one day, that's why

My84Z 06-02-2003 07:34 AM

As far as i know if your in cali you cannot have true duals. You can only have carb certified cat backs & headers. That come with a special carb number that you have to show any dmv person or police officer.

Aklaim 06-02-2003 09:25 AM

Yup, any modification must carry a California Air Resource Board exemption number. C.A.R.B. short. The only smog legal headers in california are shorties, because they do not move the cats from their stock location. Once they are moved from their stock location you can no longer pass the California Smog visual. Thats not to say that some techs actually care if they are moved or not. Some just check that they are there. And some can be taken care of with a one hundred dollar bill.;) Lots of guys run long tubes out here. And I only know of one guy that puts the stock stuff back on when it comes time for smog ever 2 years, everyone else seems to get by fine...

TerrorDome 06-02-2003 12:05 PM

oh, i see how it's done. thanks for the explanation.
guess i'll see if i stay in HI or have to move before deciding on true duals.

for now i'll just focus on upgrading the suspension :)

thanks!