CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   LS1 Based Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/ls1-based-engine-tech-19/)
-   -   exhaust question (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/ls1-based-engine-tech-19/exhaust-question-412295/)

hates rice 24 11-27-2005 08:33 PM

exhaust question

I recently put on qtp headers with my loudmouth exhaust. Long story short, i ended up with a texas speed 3" off road y....it is made to fit hooker headers, but we modded it so it would fit. Everything is smooth, no weird kinks where exhaust could get trapped ect. Sounds awesome at idle and most speed/rpm's. One major problem though is at about 2500 rpm while accelerating, i get this awful exhaust clapping/trumpeting sound. Could this be the exhaust clapping together in the y pipe (are they somehow tuned to certain headers), or is it because of the loudmouth? I guess my question is should i buy a qtp brand y? or a different exhaust? I also have a bullet muffler in my basement, would that get rid of that awful sound? I have listened to ls1sounds and haven't heard any other lt/loudmouth sound like this. If any more info is needed please feel free to ask....thanks in advance

teke184 11-28-2005 07:11 AM

Re: exhaust question

since its at a mid rpm it's probably not the ypipe hitting the frame, i had that and it usually occured at lower rpms and at launching or shifting hard.

but still look into it.

it's most likely the crappy resonator in the LM...i suggest swapping the bullet in no matter what. you'll be much happier and probably fix your problem.

BlkLT1Z28 11-28-2005 07:16 AM

does it kinda sound like this

(while acc. from a dead stop)

vrooooooo(~2500rpm) WAAAAAA(~3700) sounds nice again.

cause if its like that then that is normal in a LS1 with LT's, oryp with a pretty much straight exhaust. At least the 2 Ive seen.

teke184 11-28-2005 07:45 AM

:lol:

oh man......that was FUNNY as hell. A+ for trying to type out a sound like that.

that is just what i needed on a boring monday morning after a long weekend!!!
:bow:

shanebang76 11-28-2005 07:32 PM

After spending about 1200$ on different single exhaust systems (LM, Flowmaster, chambered LM muffler) , I am happy with TSP tru-duals! It has the smooth, deep,and LOUD sound I was looking for. Had to notch the pipe at the frame where the header collector bolts to the X pipe. It rubbed a little at WOT and at hard launches, but flattening the pipe just a little will fix it.You can listen to all the exhaust systems at www.LS1sounds.com.

hates rice 24 11-29-2005 06:17 PM

Thanks for the replies guys....double and triple checked the clearance, no hitting the frame/underbody issues at all. I was looking into the tsp true duals, the only problem is with the qtp headers, it takes a buttload of work/modification to get just the y pipe to fit...with the x pipe/true duals situation i don't think it would work only because they are made for the pacesetter style headers. In some ways i wish i would have just bought them instead, but the qtp's look so badass under the hood
Keep the ideas coming..thanks again

DaddySS 11-29-2005 08:51 PM

Just change out the loud mouth for a better resonator, I'd bet the problem goes away.