LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Car won't start.. sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 10:02 AM

Car won't start.. sometimes

Recently bought a 2001 M6 Camaro with 46k miles

The other night I go to start my car, and it wouldn't crank at all. Key turns fine, dash lights up, just no crank. NO security light so it wasn't VATS. I turned my headlights on and after doing so it allowed me to start it up normally. I thought this was strange but I didn't think much of it. Ran a few errands and it started fine each time I got back in the car (without headlights on first).

Yesterday I go to drive home after staying a friend's place, and same thing. No crank at all. This time anything I did wouldn't allow it to crank. I messed around with the clutch switch and it didn't change anything. I also swapped the starter relay and it didn't change a thing. I eventually had to bridge the starter to get it started and drove it home with no issues. Once I got home, I attempted to start it up again and it fired right up with no trouble. So it seems to be an intermittent problem.

Right now I'm leaning towards the ignition switch on the column. Do these symptoms sound consistent with a failing switch? Would it have something to do with the car being cold vs warmed up? I will also add that yesterday I must of started and stopped the car at least 30 times driving around for a job that I do, and the day before the same thing. Could that have worn it out? It also got rained on before each time I had the starting trouble. And if it's not the switch I would think it's the starter solenoid.

I had a similar problem on my 1994 Z28 that ended up being the switch. Except that car wouldn't start at all and when I turned that key it almost felt stuck.
Old 04-05-2015, 03:52 PM

Re: Car won't start.. sometimes

The chip on your key could be getting worn
Old 04-05-2015, 05:44 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?
Re: Car won't start.. sometimes

In case this wasn't the method you used to jumper the starter, use an alligator clip jumper at least 12" long to jumper from Starter relay socket terminal B6 to the red power post in the photo (next to "98 TA").
Attached Thumbnails Car won't start.. sometimes-starter-relay-bypass-2.jpg   Car won't start.. sometimes-starter-relay-bypass-1.jpg