LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

'98 SS Won't turn over - Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 09:08 PM

'98 SS Won't turn over - Please Help

So I recently purchased a 1998 Camaro SS with 59K miles that has been sitting in a garage for the past 5 years or so. Probably less driven and taken care of like it should have been.

The issue I'm having is it won't attempt to turn over and start. A new battery was installed in it 4 months ago but then still left to sit before I got a hold of it. Since the vehicle wasn't ran the battery needed assistance as no lights or instrument cluster would turn on with the key. I jumped the vehicle and it suprisingly started right up and appeared to be running normal minus the smell of rat crap burning off the engine.

The clutch pedal was dropped to the floor and wouldn't come back up, no pressure or anything so I thinking it needs a new Master Slave. After I turned the motor off a few minutes later I attempted to restart with no success. It wouldn't even attempt to crank. Shortly there after once I removed the jumper cables the battery was loosing it's charge. Until it wouldnt appear that the battery was dead again. A few times while loosing the charge the alarm light would blink very fast and click multiple times.

I've checked the battery connected-good, checked the relays -good and even swapped out the fan with the ign and starter with no crank.

What else could I try to get this motor to crank? When I insert the key only when being jumped do all the lights, ac, radio work and instrument lights will come on with just Check engine staying lit so its not the security key.

Please help with ideas. What would cause it not to even attempt to crank but still have all electrical work and it crank the first time, run fine and then never again.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:14 AM
Administrator

Re: '98 SS Won't turn over - Please Help

Did you check for corrosion of the battery terminals/wire ends, the starter terminal/wire end, and for corroded wire strands in the main wires to the starter and to ground?
Old 06-02-2014, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Just to rule out something simple, I'd take the battery in to AutoZone (or any place with an automotive battery tester) and confirm that it's still good. I know it's only a few months old, but it happens.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:39 AM

The leads love to rust. Taking a wire brush to you terminals on the battery and starter is a good idea whether that's the problem or not. I did have a similar problem though. This was a little while back but I remember with my 98 the doors had to be closed while hooking the battery back up otherwise the alarm wouldn't work right. Or something to that extent. Try unlocking the car with the doors closed? If that doesn't work chase the wires. I'd test to see what you get at the starter solenoid when you crank it and work from there.