CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   LS1 Based Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/ls1-based-engine-tech-19/)
-   -   2002 Z28 Order Deadline? (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/ls1-based-engine-tech-19/2002-z28-order-deadline-13647/)

WantanLS1 06-03-2002 02:02 PM

2002 Z28 Order Deadline?

I am aware that SS cars can no longer be custom ordered - but how about Z28's? My wife has a real hankering for an LS1 convertible, and I'd hate to deny her. Thanks!

------------------
1986 Buick Regal T-Type TE44, .030" TRW's, 43 lb injectors, ATR Downpipe, wastegate, ram air and exhaust, Lubrant chips, custom converter by Alan, Hot-wired 340 fuel pump, Bilstein shocks, GNX wheels, Ultralite gauges, and the whole METCO catalog
New Better Faster Engine Under Construction

1987 Buick Regal Turbo T 'Old Gray' GM Hi-Tech Performance magazine's project car - Ron Joseph bullet, Stage 5 60-1 turbo, DeQuick VR4 intercooler, Level 10 trans and converter, staged double pumper fuel system, 55 lb injectors, Bilstein shocks, Ultralite gauges

2002 Camaro SS Sebring Silver hardtop with ebony leather, Hurst 'where's third gear?' shifter, SLP lid & PS filter, !CAGS, METCO LCA's and bolt-in driveshaft loop

rncotton 06-03-2002 03:19 PM

I think production has already stopped. (meaning you can't order any F-bod)

------------------
2001 Z28, A4 2.73
Navy Blue Metallic, T-tops, no badges
---------
FRA; MTI lid; Holly PowerShot; TBB; HPP3; Exhaust "bridge"; 160* Thermostat; descreen MAF; Port/Polish MAF

mmannSS 06-03-2002 05:44 PM

Production has stopped on all F-bodies as far as I know. I heard this from the dealer my dad had his Firehawk ordered through. The dealer called three days after he ordered it and said they stopped production on all f-bodies and therefore the T/A that they thought would be built and sent to slp was not going to be built.

(and they all paused for a moment of silence)

------------------
2002 Camaro SS #2288 M6
!CAGS
Stock Dyno Run with 5,460 miles:
RWHP 302.7
RWTQ 320.5

CaptainsTA 06-03-2002 06:29 PM

All orders stopped in march I just went a few days ago to order a new ram air but they told me they could locate what ever I wanted with a little luck

mmoceri 06-03-2002 07:03 PM

I tried ordering mine, the begining of December, last year. When I got no dealer confirmation, I called Chevrolet and they said the order was received, but not accepted, maening they didn't know if the car would be built.

I got lucky and found one on a lot, that had all the options/color..etc., (including SLP options, I wanted).

Try having a dealer that may have one in stock, look for a car with the color/options you want. That way, if he finds a car that matches what you want, he has a car to offer on a dealer trade. You may still be able to get any SLP options, if desired, installed by the dealer.

I was told, by the dealer down in Detroit, where I found mine, that it had a Bilstein suspension and ram air box upgrade on it. When I went to pick up the car, it did not. The dealer ordered the parts, through SLP and when they came in, I went to SLP HQ, in Troy, MI, where they were installed.

Again, try a larger dealer, who may have a few in stock. That way, if he doesn't have your exact car, he may be able to find it and have a decent chance of working a dealer trade.

Good Luck and your wife is lucky to have a guy, who'll buy her an SS, or Z28! (or, is this pennace, for not taking the trash out, for a couple months!) LOL

Mark

------------------
2002 SS, Coupe. 6 speed, with Hurst Shifter, SLP Low Restriction Dual/Dual Exhaust, Bilstein Suspension and SLP Ram Air Box. Rally Red, with T-Tops & Black Leather. SLP SS Grill and 5 Spoke Chrome SS Wheels.

mmoceri 06-03-2002 07:08 PM

I tried ordering mine, the begining of December, last year. When I got no dealer confirmation, I called Chevrolet and they said the order was received, but not accepted, maening they didn't know if the car would be built.

I got lucky and found one on a lot, that had all the options/color..etc., (including SLP options, I wanted).

Try having a dealer that may have one in stock, look for a car with the color/options you want. That way, if he finds a car that matches what you want, he has a car to offer on a dealer trade. You may still be able to get any SLP options, if desired, installed by the dealer.

I was told, by the dealer down in Detroit, where I found mine, that it had a Bilstein suspension and ram air box upgrade on it. When I went to pick up the car, it did not. The dealer ordered the parts, through SLP and when they came in, I went to SLP HQ, in Troy, MI, where they were installed.

Again, try a larger dealer, who may have a few in stock. That way, if he doesn't have your exact car, he may be able to find it and have a decent chance of working a dealer trade.

Good Luck and your wife is lucky to have a guy, who'll buy her an SS, or Z28! (or, is this pennace, for not taking the trash out, for a couple months!) LOL

Mark

------------------
2002 SS, Coupe. 6 speed, with Hurst Shifter, SLP Low Restriction Dual/Dual Exhaust, Bilstein Suspension and SLP Ram Air Box. Rally Red, with T-Tops & Black Leather. SLP SS Grill and 5 Spoke Chrome SS Wheels.

Jelfix 06-03-2002 07:28 PM

Go to GMpowerbuy.com
You should be able to find what you are looking for.
That is how I found my 2002 Z28 !
Goodluck,

------------------
2002 silver Z28

ROB185 06-04-2002 04:21 AM

I ordered mine april 26th.The cut off was supposed to be 30th of april.I was told it was GM's decisionn wether they would build it or not.Luckily for me my order was confirmed.But I did not go through a dealer.I am stationed in the middle east in a air assult infantry unit and used a military program.So I think you are out of luck with the order.Hope you find what you want.

------------------
NEVER LOOK BACK

MRZ28HO 06-04-2002 05:29 PM

GM has not stopped production of the F-bodies, this is bullsh!t for the gulible to accept. As per SLP and Scott S., GM has stopped accepting orders for SS as of April 15th. Also, Tremec has run out of (F-body) T56 and you can no longer order a 6 speed. All currently placed orders that have been accepted by Chevrolet will be produced. I think I recall the Z28 is on constraint, you can't order one any more. But you can pick one up from any dealer. GM will build the last Camaro (F-body) the week of August 2?-something. Chevrolet is still making the F-body, don't beleive anything else, unless it comes from Scott S. (GM Brand Manager for Camaro) or JeffY (SLP Chief Engineer).

------------------
George P. Lara
1984 Z28
2001 SS #0391

SCCA, SC3G, GS3, SCFB, SSOA #M01-0391

redz_02 06-04-2002 05:44 PM

I think what they meen to say is that they stopped taking orders. But hell do a search and you will find one. Plus if you want a SS you can find a z and send it to slp if you are that persistent. If you do that i would say screw it and just send it to lingenfelter. Yet it may not be exactly what you wan't, But hurry.

------------------
'02 Red Z28, 6M, SLP Hurst shifter, T-tops, ebony leather, annoying a@@ traction control, borla WFO, Wisperlid w/K&N.

mmannSS 06-04-2002 05:46 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MRZ28HO:
GM has not stopped production of the F-bodies, this is bullsh!t for the gulible to accept. As per SLP and Scott S., GM has stopped accepting orders for SS as of April 15th. Also, Tremec has run out of (F-body) T56 and you can no longer order a 6 speed. All currently placed orders that have been accepted by Chevrolet will be produced. I think I recall the Z28 is on constraint, you can't order one any more. But you can pick one up from any dealer. GM will build the last Camaro (F-body) the week of August 2?-something. Chevrolet is still making the F-body, don't beleive anything else, unless it comes from Scott S. (GM Brand Manager for Camaro) or JeffY (SLP Chief Engineer).

</font>
I think I should have reworded what I wrote. They may still be producing fbodies but I dont believe they are taking orders. In other words all oredered f-bodies up to X date will be built but no new orders will be accepted. And that was his question.

------------------
2002 Camaro SS #2288 M6
!CAGS
Stock Dyno Run with 5,460 miles:
RWHP 302.7
RWTQ 320.5

Scott McDonald 06-05-2002 07:12 AM

I ran into the same problem. I went to see about ordering a new SS and was told that all orders for the Camaro had to be in by either the first or the middle of April. Can't remember which. However, just because you can't order one doesn't meant they aren't available. Ste. Therese will still be in production for current orders through late August. This includes both dealer orders and confirmed orders placed by customers. The Chevy dealer I buy from went out on the locater to see if there were any within the region and there are some out there. He also checked his incoming inventory and I was lucky enough that the dealer had a silver Z28 already scheduled to be built next week. It was everything I was looking for since I had decided to look for a Z28 instead of an SS so I put my name on it. Don't give up hope there are Z28s out there and there are still cars due in to dealer inventories. I used the GMbuypower site as well but it only shows what is currently in inventory not what is due in. Go visit your friendly Chevy dealer and see what they can do for you. But I would say do it quickly because I would imagine that before long dealers won't be willing to negotiate the price of Z28s and SSs since there won't be anymore heading to their inventories in a few months. Good luck and good hunting. Don't forget that if you can make it to an event that the Camaro Legends Tour is at, you can get a certificate good for another $1000 off the price of a Camaro.

OctaneZ28 06-05-2002 10:54 AM

As far as I know, production stops the week of August 26.
You can't order a Z28 or SS anymore, but you can still find them around.
GMBuyPower.com is a good place to start.

------------------
www.CamaroHighway.com

Yahoo! Group - Chevy Camaro Z28

2001 Camaro Z28 A4 2.73 - Navy Blue Metallic - my 5th Camaro!
No mods ...YET!
Stock Dyno: 293HP/317TQ
Stock 1/4 Mile: 60ft: 2.054 1/8: 8.832 @ 82.56 1/4: 13.573 @ 103.18

gillbot 06-06-2002 06:18 AM

How are the production numbers looking for the 2002 Sunset Orange Metallic Z28?

------------------
2002 Camaro Z/28 LS1 A4 (2.73's)
Sunset Orange Metallic
Fernco, SLP Airlid, K&N Filter
-----------------------
1995 Ford Aspire M5
!Torque & !Power

smitty02z 06-08-2002 09:03 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gillbot:
How are the production numbers looking for the 2002 Sunset Orange Metallic Z28?

</font>
TTT
Anybody know??

------------------
2002 Z28 A4 2.73 SOM
1970 Chevelle SS 396
Street/Strip 12.50's
w/mufflers @3800lbs