General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

4th Gen Windshield replacement....

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 04:46 PM

4th Gen Windshield replacement....

Well, I got my AC low port leak fixed at a dealership today and a car has thrown a rock and cracked my windshield 1/4".

I have scheduled Safelite to come out on June 10th and replace it, but I have been seeing some old discussion here about replacement windshields being distorted in some way. Things not looking right at night. I've also heard bad and good things about Safelite. Some discussions say that I may need to tell them to use OEM(GM) glass. Others say not to use Safelite at all.

Has anyone had a 4th gen windshield replaced within the last few years? If so, who did it and are you happy with it? Can they remove it without damaging any of the paint around the frame of the windshield?

The crack is something I could live with for now, but those things always seem to have a way of expanding quickly.

I may just get them to fill it with resin.

Last edited by ACE1252; 05-17-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:33 PM

Re: 4th Gen Windshield replacement....

Found this on LS1tech.

Who would be best to replace my windshield? - LS1TECH

Seems like I need to look for LOF on the bottom center of the windshield as a OEM replacement. Sure enough, my windshield has that bottom center.

This info is on Corvettes, but still good discussion the same.....
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...oem-glass.html

Last edited by ACE1252; 05-17-2013 at 06:21 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:02 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?

My 98 TA windshield was replaced several years ago with a Safelite product. I have had no problems with it since. No damage to paint or anything.

Do you have "comprehensive" insurance coverage? Do the insurance laws in NC require them to replace it without charging you a deductible? That's the way it is in Fla. Cost me nothing.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:49 AM

I would actually be curious as to status updates and what you decide on this! I have a small chip on the windshield of my 97 Z. Now I should say that the chip is super small and is small enough to be repaired. HOWEVER, it is on the inside, and it is literally touching the metal mount for the rear-view.

Repair/replace? I don't know. Haven't had the time to get an estimate from anyone. Trying to avoid calling the insurance, as Progressive is known for wanting to take the car to one of their repair centers. I do believe if they heard my car and started poking around, they'd want to up my premium if they would cover it at all.

Side note. If anyone is parting out a 4th gen (hopefully a 97 camaro specifically) please let me know if you'd be interested in selling me your windshield.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:35 AM

Interesting on the timing of this question. I was looking to replace the molding, as it is shot on the passenger side after 17 years. Actually loose. Turns out the molding, although separate, must be installed onto the windshield to be properly installed.

Really was not planning to replace the entire windshield just to replace the molding.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:29 PM

Some of the Corvette guys comments make me feel better about using Safelite, but I'm going to talk with them next week on a lunch break. I think I will ask them to use an OEM glass and not the "Safelite" brand. They are only a mile or two from where I work. I'll keep updating on how this goes and if anyone else has windshield replacement experiences, please do share.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by ace1252
some of the corvette guys comments make me feel better about using safelite, but i'm going to talk with them next week on a lunch break. I think i will ask them to use an oem glass and not the "safelite" brand. They are only a mile or two from where i work. I'll keep updating on how this goes and if anyone else has windshield replacement experiences, please do share.
Much appreciated
Old 05-19-2013, 05:45 AM

I had to replace the windshield in our ‘95 two years ago. Safelite did the work, and I was very pleased. It was better than new. I'll have to check to see what brand of window they used.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:12 AM

If it's an OEM windshield, there should be an LOF logo on the middle bottom of the windshield(in between the windshield wipers).
Old 05-19-2013, 10:15 AM

I just checked. It's says PGW Solargreen.

Here's their site.

http://www.pgwglass.com/products/Pag...GProducts.aspx
Old 05-28-2013, 10:14 PM

They were going to put a different brand in it other than LOF, but they can get the OEM LOF windshield for me at the same cost. So I'm getting the LOF windshield and am set for June 10th 8am to get this thing replace at their shop.

I'm nervous as heck about this as certain parts, if broken, are hard to come by or discontinued. I'm going to remove the cowl, A-pillar covers, and wipers myself. From there, I just need to trust them to do the work right and inspect it good afterwards.

I'll update this when the work is done. Maybe even do some before and after pics.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:24 PM

Pilkington Classics - The right choice in auto replacement glass.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...merly-lof.html

OEM LOF windshield

Last edited by FirebirdGT; 05-28-2013 at 11:29 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:21 AM

Hehe, well tonight I went to remove the trim pieces of the car and came to the massive dash cover. Some of the vent plastic rails for the defroster were cracked, but it was in decent shape. Hehe, was.....in...decent...shape.

That thing split into 4 pieces by the time I was done removing it. I was actually shocked at how easy the thing completely shattered. I was planning on getting a new one anyway, but looks like I will be getting it a little sooner than planned.

I've got some pics I'll put up later of what is under the cover, the mounting points for the cover, and the shattered unit. It appears that there are two mounting points at the front that I can't seem to account for on the dash....but I'll detail it later. I'll also take some pics of the new cover.

Last edited by ACE1252; 06-04-2013 at 12:49 AM.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:50 PM

The good thing about having a donor car is research and development. helps with the learning curve
When replacing/removing the dash pad 90% of them shatter
I can't seem to find a OEM replacement dash pad youngs fbody no longer has them in stock
the only thing they have is a plastic cover that lays on top of your old dash pad ????
if you find a oem replacement let me know were you got it from. mine has a 1/4 crack in it
and I would like to have it replaced .... I have thought about using the dash pad out of my 96
but I'm a little discouraged about taking it out because I'm sure it will break in a hundred pieces
Old 06-04-2013, 10:03 PM

Hawks 3rd gen has them. But be ready to fork out some cash!

My 94 dash was busted. But i was lucky and had the dash in my old 95 that i replaced 5 years earlier.

Quick Reply: 4th Gen Windshield replacement....