General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Whistling/humming sound from back of the car.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 05:27 PM

Re: Whistling/humming sound from back of the car.

Originally Posted by Spinner
Uh, no. You buy the pump. The pump is in the tank, inside the fuel bucket
Oh, okay. I haven't (yet) changed a pump in an F-body myself, but my friend had the one replaced in his '96 T/A, and I *thought* he said when he ordered the pump, it came as a whole assembly? Maybe not? Or maybe it's an LT1 vs LS1 thing??...I dunno.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:42 PM

I wouldn't tear into anything if the car is running ok. I would check the fuel pressure with a gauge and leave it alone if it was ok. Change the filter to make sure it is not a restriction and causing whine. The pumps do make some noise-that's normal, plus some pumps are just louder than others.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
I wouldn't tear into anything if the car is running ok. I would check the fuel pressure with a gauge and leave it alone if it was ok. Change the filter to make sure it is not a restriction and causing whine. The pumps do make some noise-that's normal, plus some pumps are just louder than others.
That's pretty much what I was gonna say. When you don't hear the pump, that'll be the time when you should stress about it.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
Oh, okay. I haven't (yet) changed a pump in an F-body myself, but my friend had the one replaced in his '96 T/A, and I *thought* he said when he ordered the pump, it came as a whole assembly? Maybe not? Or maybe it's an LT1 vs LS1 thing??...I dunno.
96 T/A is a standard pump in a bucket in the metal fuel tank. Promise. If his came as an assembly, he ordered something else.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:04 AM

Mine makes a high pitched whining sound in the rear from the differential. It whines up and down with the speed of the car. Not an issue. If the pitch of the whine you hear is changing with the spped of the car, it might be that.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:23 AM

I think he said the noise is there even if he's parked.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by shoebox
Ok, well I hadn't heard it at all until the last couple weeks. I've got to change my oil before too much longer, I'll get a new fuel filter and change it then.

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
I think he said the noise is there even if he's parked.
Yea, parked and in neutral. Still making the noise, and just change the rear end fluid 8,000 miles ago.

I was really worried becuase this was the first problem I'd had with the car since I bought it. Hopefully it isn't anything serious.

Thanks again guys!

Last edited by sixspeedfirebir; 01-11-2005 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:52 AM

Well don't go nuts and replace the fuel pump just yet. Mine has the exact noise that you are describing. Listen carefuly next time you first start your car in the morning. When it starts to get chilly up here, man does that thing wine/hum. With my windows up and idling.. they wine is about as loud as my exhaust.

But once it warms up it goes away (or is too quiet for me to hear over other things like traffic, my WOT lol)

So listen carefuly next time when its cool out, and see if it dies down when it warms up.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by )2overt SS
Well don't go nuts and replace the fuel pump just yet. Mine has the exact noise that you are describing. Listen carefuly next time you first start your car in the morning. When it starts to get chilly up here, man does that thing wine/hum. With my windows up and idling.. they wine is about as loud as my exhaust.

But once it warms up it goes away (or is too quiet for me to hear over other things like traffic, my WOT lol)

So listen carefuly next time when its cool out, and see if it dies down when it warms up.
Good advice. My racetronix pump is pretty loud, but its definetly noticeable when it's cold outside and it has just turned on.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:33 PM

Maybe you could've gotten lucky and the car gods may have installed an STS rear mount turbo while you were asleep.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:36 PM

most newer fuel pumps from the dealer are the whole assembly, not just the pump
Old 01-11-2005, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by carlos64030
Maybe you could've gotten lucky and the car gods may have installed an STS rear mount turbo while you were asleep.
REALLY?!?!?

*Runs out to check*

Nope... still the same 'ol craptastic flowmaster back there.

I wanted my STS!!
Old 01-11-2005, 10:25 PM

I'm telling you....try the fuel filter, GM's are pretty notorious for loud fuel pumps as is it seems. $15 and it's probably won't stop it, but it would quiet it down if you haven't changed your fuel filter in awhile.

Dave