General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

turn signal acting funky

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 02:00 PM

turn signal acting funky

When I use the turn signal, it blinks but not like it should. It skips blinks, some blinks are brighter than others, and the timing seems to be way off. Sometimes its a second between the blinks, sometimes 10. Both sides are affected, right and left. I'm thinking its the actual blinker control box under the steering wheel. What do you guys think? How much would a fix be?

Thanks guys
Old 05-05-2004, 02:14 PM

My first thought was the flasher. Should be cheap to replace.
Old 05-05-2004, 06:52 PM

Yeah... Sounds like the flasher.....
Old 05-05-2004, 07:20 PM

Flasher went out on my 2000 Firebird that I owned last year. Not sure how much it cost since it was under warrenty, but it has the same exact symptoms as yours.
Old 05-05-2004, 10:07 PM

flasher... about 3 to 12 bucks at autozone.
Old 05-06-2004, 02:34 PM

Just be sure that you have the right flasher unit before you leave the store, because the guy at NAPA tried like 3 different flashers on mine when mine went out until he found the right one that would blink at the correct speed.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:41 PM

Re: turn signal acting funky

I would like to tag along on this thread as my flashers are doing the exact same thing. Also, sometimes the flashers(either side) dim before actually clicking off. As if it were straining to turn the light off and finally, "click" it goes out. I'll definitely give a new flasher a try.

However, there is one more problem I am having. My tail lights only seem to work when they want to. Meaning, when I turn my lights on, the head lights will come on but sometimes the tail lights will not. Sometimes they do come on when I turn the light on. Other times, they may come on during a drive. I know this because people will pull up beside me and tell me that my tail lights are not working(including brake lights and turn signals). Then I get to a store and see my tail lights working in the reflection of a window or another car, etc. I've had friends sit in my car, turn on lights, hit brakes, turn on signals and get no lights. On the flip side, sometimes I turn on the lights and everything comes on like normal with brake lights working and all. By the way, my brake light on the spoiler doesn't seem to have any of these simptoms. It always works unless a bulb is actually burned out. Does this mean I have to replace the sockets?
Old 09-07-2005, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by MacPHYST
However, there is one more problem I am having. My tail lights only seem to work when they want to. Meaning, when I turn my lights on, the head lights will come on but sometimes the tail lights will not. Sometimes they do come on when I turn the light on. Other times, they may come on during a drive. I know this because people will pull up beside me and tell me that my tail lights are not working(including brake lights and turn signals). Then I get to a store and see my tail lights working in the reflection of a window or another car, etc. I've had friends sit in my car, turn on lights, hit brakes, turn on signals and get no lights. On the flip side, sometimes I turn on the lights and everything comes on like normal with brake lights working and all. By the way, my brake light on the spoiler doesn't seem to have any of these simptoms. It always works unless a bulb is actually burned out. Does this mean I have to replace the sockets?
These types of problems are almost always caused by bad ground/s or corroded wires/connectors. Pull the bulbs and check the sockets, then check the ground wire/s and the wire harness connectors. Coat any possible water entry points with dialetic grease or electric sealent paint.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:32 PM

Ok. So I've replaced my flasher and now my turn signals work fine. Unfortunately, I still have the brake light problem. I've replaced the brakelight switch and it didn't help. Upon inspection of my tail light sockets, the driver's side tail light socket(closest to the rear latch lock) appears to possibly be burned. On of the prongs inside of it seems darker, has a slight notch in it and doesn't appear to have the same "springiness" to it as compared to any of the light sockets. I'm thinking that one needs to be replaced. My question is, if I were to replace only that one(assuming it is a bad socket) would I have to replace the rest? Could one socket cause all brake lights not to work?

Oh, and the tail lights come on and turn signals work. Only the brake lights will not come on when my brake pedal is pushed whether my main light switch is on or not. Also, the 3rd brake light works as normal.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:14 PM

Well, I just put the new brake light pigtail on my car and it didn't help. Again, everything seems to work as normal except for the actual brake lights. Both filaments work in all of the lights and my ground seems snug and tight. So at this point I have tail lights, hazard lights and turn signals but no brake lights.

By the way, I saw the pic that shoebox has regarding the location of the brakelight switch, which I replaced, here .

What is the switch that is just above the brakelight switch? Is it possible that I need to replace that as well? Or is that just a cruise control switch?
Old 09-13-2005, 11:18 AM

Is your car an automatic? They have the "step on the brake before putting it in gear switch".
Sounds like you may have a separate problem. Tackle it like you would any electrical problem. Check the basics, fuses, lights, etc. When get a multi-meter or trouble light and start checking for volts, from the lights to the source.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:09 PM

Yes, actually, it is an automatic. I don't have a multi-meter so I guess it's about time I invest in one. I've needed one enough times to justify getting it. Besides, I saw one the other night and it was only like $15. Anyway, at this point, I'm about ready to take the tags off my car and drive it off a cliff or take it to the dealership. Unfortunately, I don't have a personal mechanic.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:15 AM

Macphyst, did you ever end up solving your brake light issue? I'm having similar problems.