CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/general-1967-2002-f-body-tech-46/)
-   -   thought i had car fixed (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/general-1967-2002-f-body-tech-46/thought-i-had-car-fixed-880674/)

warmeck 09-06-2014 05:07 PM

thought i had car fixed

so i thought i got the car fixed because of my so called "mechanic" said he got it to run but, truthfully he is an idiot and now says he has to find the timing on the optispark? i read on the forums that there is no timing for the optispark and he wants me to find out for him... what should i tell him? im having definately a timing issue. i also printed out shoeboxs 1993-1994 f body optiuspark picture to where it has to be keyed and also the lt1 crankshaft gear picture. would that help this mechanic set the timing? If im wrong please correct me but im pretty sure the only thing that needs to be set is the harmonic balancer right? which is why i printed out the lt1 crankshaft gear picture to help him.

Injuneer 09-06-2014 06:48 PM

Re: thought i had car fixed

Shoebox's picture, showing the correct engagement of the odd tooth on the splined shaft with the matching odd tooth in the hole on the cam sprocket is all you need.

If all he did to replace the Opti was unbolt the damper (it is NOT a balancer) from the hub, he just needs to align the holes in the damper correctly with the three holes in the hub. The holes are not evenly spaced, so it can only go together one way.

warmeck 09-06-2014 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer (Post 6967916)
Shoebox's picture, showing the correct engagement of the odd tooth on the splined shaft with the matching odd tooth in the hole on the cam sprocket is all you need.

If all he did to replace the Opti was unbolt the damper (it is NOT a balancer) from the hub, he just needs to align the holes in the damper correctly with the three holes in the hub. The holes are not evenly spaced, so it can only go together one way.

so i should tell him that there isnt a timing required for the optispark and that he should line up the splined drive to the slot in the cam gear and then re-install the damper to line up with the holes? the car started but then turned off a couple minutes later so he said timing was off. i will correct him though thank you.

Injuneer 09-06-2014 09:11 PM

Installing the splined teeth correctly sets the timing correctly.

While it ran, did it run smoothly?

What brand Opti? After it stopped, did he scan it for codes?

warmeck 09-06-2014 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer (Post 6967919)
Installing the splined teeth correctly sets the timing correctly.

While it ran, did it run smoothly?

What brand Opti? After it stopped, did he scan it for codes?

i do not know if it ran smoothly or not i was not home when he told me. its an AC Delco. im unsure if he scaned it for codes but tomorrow morning he is coming back and im going to sit there with him.

slowpoke96z28 09-07-2014 10:49 AM

What year car vs P/N of the distributor?

Injuneer 09-07-2014 11:12 AM

In his earlier post, he indicated he has a 94. Hence the reference to Shoebox's photo for the 93-94 Opti drive mechanism.

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/gen...-880628/page2/

Of course in his earlier post he indicates he replaced the ICM (twice) and after the second one, the engine ran fine. Sure is confusing.

Always easier if people would add a "Signature".... interesting to note that I am the only one in this thread that bothered to set on up.

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1...nature-879835/

warmeck 09-07-2014 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer (Post 6967932)
In his earlier post, he indicated he has a 94. Hence the reference to Shoebox's photo for the 93-94 Opti drive mechanism.

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/gen...-880628/page2/

Of course in his earlier post he indicates he replaced the ICM (twice) and after the second one, the engine ran fine. Sure is confusing.

Always easier if people would add a "Signature".... interesting to note that I am the only one in this thread that bothered to set on up.

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1...nature-879835/

yes i tested the ICM and it came back good but the mechanic said it was bad so i got another 1. The mechanic said it started up but then cut off a couple minutes later. I am sorry i do not have a signature because i just purchased the car 2-3 months ago and dont know what was exactly done to the car. The mechanic already replaced the starter solenoid, ICM(make sure it was making good contact and has ground) he has looked over the black fuse box on the drivers engine side. He is now playing with the rotor disk on the Optispark, i printed out the diagram for him so he could install it. He will be coming back tomorrow morning to re-assemble. If he dosent get the job done and fix the problem, i will just bring it to a shop that has the diagnostic tools to figure out whats actually going on.

Injuneer 09-07-2014 03:11 PM

Simply setting up the year, model and trans would help. You caused a huge amount of confusion posting a video of a different year. People want to help you, but they shouldn't have to ask or guess the year of the car.

warmeck 09-07-2014 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer (Post 6967943)
Simply setting up the year, model and trans would help. You caused a huge amount of confusion posting a video of a different year. People want to help you, but they shouldn't have to ask or guess the year of the car.

1994 z28 camaro 4l60e is the trans.

Injuneer 09-07-2014 05:54 PM

That's not a signature - did you read the link I posted? It explains how to set up a "Signature" in your "profile". That way it gets appended to every post, automatically, so you don't have to type it like you just did above.

See the fine horizontal line right above "Fred", below? Everything below that line is my Signature. I don't have to type that in every post. The system adds that.

warmeck 09-07-2014 06:40 PM

okay i fixed that. So What do you think is my problem with the car?

slowpoke96z28 09-07-2014 11:16 PM

'94 aluminum head LT1s use the spline drive correct? I thought it might be an issue of the pin drive not being out far enough to precisely position the disc, but that's out. Let me see if I can find ma favorite opti class...
Here it is youtu.be/lFCjaz6zHfc watch this and the associated videos to the right. Only difference is like I said, I think 94 camaros are spline drive whereas the one in the video isn't.

Injuneer 09-08-2014 12:14 PM

You indicate you have a mechanic that is going to install the Opti. Get that done and see if it's any better. Given the fact the mechanic seems to lack basic understanding of the Opti, it's hard to tell where this is going.

warmeck 09-08-2014 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer (Post 6967993)
You indicate you have a mechanic that is going to install the Opti. Get that done and see if it's any better. Given the fact the mechanic seems to lack basic understanding of the Opti, it's hard to tell where this is going.

well he cant figure out what the problem is he told me to take it to a shop with diagnoisis tools so im going to.