General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

t-tops keep leaking and i cant take it anymore

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 09:02 PM

I ended up putting silicone all around the rubber and felt stuff on each end of the t-top The screws were tearing the seal and leaked the most so I used silicone on them too. I left the t-tops upside down so the silicone pooled properly and dried for two hours. It said tacky after a hour, solid after 12 hrs but i put them back together after two hours. Also you dont really have to take the plastic cover off the tops. The first one made it easier but the second one I didnt, I just shot the silicone in there under the plastic and cleaned it up.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:05 PM

You can see the screw and the rubber without taking the cover off?
Old 11-21-2008, 09:07 PM

yep the rubber ends show on the t-top and the screws are just under there... will see if I still have the pic...
Old 03-16-2009, 03:40 AM

Sorry never did see your response before but this darn problem won't go away no matter what I do so I am gonna do what you did and hopefully it will work. If it does I'll let you know.

Thanks!
Old 03-18-2009, 09:29 AM

I've found that the tops on the 4th Gen t-tops have a bit of flexibility in positioning. If I just throw them on and latch them, they're on, but will likely leak with water.
If I carefully nudge them into a snug position with the weather stripping above the side windows, the interior stays bone dry.

It took a couple of tries to find that sweet spot, but I did it and I still have the original weather stripping from '95.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by LaughingGravy
I've found that the tops on the 4th Gen t-tops have a bit of flexibility in positioning. If I just throw them on and latch them, they're on, but will likely leak with water.
If I carefully nudge them into a snug position with the weather stripping above the side windows, the interior stays bone dry.

It took a couple of tries to find that sweet spot, but I did it and I still have the original weather stripping from '95.
Tried that before and no go.
Maybe I just didn't have it quite right though. I've got a 96.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:23 AM

Thanks Oxygen454 for the info. Mine leaks the same way - into the plastic trim area. After a rain I take the tops off to drain them. After I am done working on the house, I'll try what you did. How is everyone else doing with there leak repair?
Old 04-22-2009, 10:26 AM

Besides spray, this stuff works great on door type seals.
Permatex / 3 oz. (85.049 g.) Dielectric Grease
This is silicone based.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Oxygen454
Im in luck! I finally found where the leak is coming from!!!!! Some how water is getting under the t-top and leaking into the internal plastic covered area where the lock handel sits inside. I opened the ttop and turned it to the side and a whole bunch of water poured out! The seals all around the t-top on the car frame where dry so its filling up inside the t-top and running out along the plastic that meets the inside of the car.

Now I just have to find out where the its coming from. Maybe the seal is broken from the window to the t-top frame? Sounds like a silicone job for me...

Oxy.
I have the same problem!!
I wish you still had the pictures up I'm a little confused about what you did to fix it .
It seams that you did something to the seal on the T-top where it meets the window?
Old 05-02-2009, 11:34 PM

Hey,

I found some pictures with out the silicone. Where the blue is, is where I siliconed... basically all around the perimeter of the locking mechanism. The screws were the biggest leaking problem.

Hope this helps, I will try and find the other pictures with the silicone. Let me know if you have any questions.

Name:  IMG_3393.jpg
Views: 2712
Size:  25.3 KB
Old 05-03-2009, 01:53 PM

I've come to the sad realization that the GM fbody is a total POS. I guess they are competing with the Ford Fairmont with quality control. You are damn lucky to only have a leak to worry about. I'm jealous...
Old 06-05-2009, 03:07 PM

Thanks Oxygen454

I just took the whole T-top apart and used some 25 year acrylic caulk around the whole thing.
I hope it works I did see some big gaps so it should stop the leak.
When I was looking at the T-top I think the best thing to do would be to use a two part epoxy that comes in a tube its as thick as caulk to seal it up for ever but that stuff is not cheap.
And of course twenty minutes after I got one T-top done and back on the car it started to rain hard like a hurricane but thats Florida for yaw.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:32 PM

The first thing that I did to my car was weld in double diamond sub frame connectors. No leaks no squeeks or rattles and the car now has 201,000 miles on it.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:38 PM

The f body T Tops have been problematic from day one. When you think its "fixed" a leak will reappear, its just a matter of time. My '99 leaked when it was a week old. I'll still take it over a hardtop anytime.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:41 PM

Re: t-tops keep leaking and i cant take it anymore

Honestly, I have just stopped trying to fix the T-Top leaks...engine is giving me more issues than the tops are... We just got like eight inches of rain in three days...yeah, just threw a towl down to dry the seats...perhaps when I fix my engine I will worry about the leak

Quick Reply: t-tops keep leaking and i cant take it anymore