General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Overheating NIGHTMARE

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 07:47 PM

Overheating NIGHTMARE

At this point I've traced my problem to my radiator fans not turning on. After replacing my radiator, water pump, temp sensor, and all of the relays, I am still overheating. My fans aren't coming on at all. I have jumped them with a 12v source and both operate properly. I have bled and refilled coolant properly as well, even tried resetting my pcm. This is a 95 z28 by the way. I know I can wire a switch from shoebox's site but I'd rather the stock operations function properly. The only thing I can think of is maybe the heater core being blocked can cause a coolant flow issue, but the temp sensor should still tell pcm to turn the fans on right? My heater inside doesn't work and the a/c should probably blow colder, but I know my freon levels are correct.

What else could be causing this issue? I am so frustrated with this, and the worst part is that I live in Houston, so the outside temp isn't helping at all. Any and all advice is much appreciated
Old 05-19-2013, 09:01 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?
Re: Overheating NIGHTMARE

Have you checked the engine temperature reading using a scanner? Your engine has two coolant temperature sensors, one for the gauge and another for fan management by the pcm. A scanner can tell you what the pcm is "seeing" from the other sensor.
Or you can inspect the sensor's wiring and connector for damage. You can then measure the dc resistance of the sensor for a given temperature. See this reference:
4th Gen LT1 F-body Tech Articles

Here is a photo showing the location:
http://shbox.com/1/temp_sensor1.jpg

Do the fans come on when you switch on the AC (if you have that)? If so, you know the circuit to the fans is working correctly.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:47 PM
Administrator

What numerical temps are you seeing on the gauge, that lead you to believe it's overheating?
Old 05-20-2013, 01:13 PM

OK guys I drove to work this morning and barely got there without getting into the red.. I knew I wouldn't make it home this afternoon given my hour commute. So I had the shop next door work on it all morning. Come to find out it was bad wiring underneath the relay panel, which I considered but decided it was highly unlikely. Best part is, they shuffled me to the front of the line and had 3 mechanics working on it for 2 1/2 hours before they found the issue. They only charged me 40 bucks and they're not even wanting me to pay today . Life can be good sometimes.. now though the a/c isn't blowing cold, and stays on for a few seconds after I shut the engine off. What should I check for a/c functionality, and is it normal to keep blowing like that for a few seconds? Thanks for answering my pm injuneer, too bad I don't live close so I can bug you all the time haha.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:14 PM

And a big thanks to you as well GaryDoug, its folks like you two that make forums a nice group to be a part of
Old 05-20-2013, 04:14 PM
Administrator

Does the temperature dial work on the A/C panel? That has a cable that connects it to the flapper door that selects between and mixes hot air from the heater core (heater always has coolant flowing through it) and the A/C evaporator core.