General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Interior questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 09:48 AM

Talking Interior questions

How do you remove and replace the dash piece that goes to the winshield?

The piece that has the defrost vent located in the middle of the piece.

How big of a job is the headliner replacement? Are 2 people needed to replace the headliner?

This is a 94 z-28 coupe I am working with,

Thanks guys,
Old 05-28-2013, 10:37 AM

Re: Interior questions

The large panel is held on by velcro in a few locations. You just pry it up. It can help if the A pillar covers are removed, but you will still have to flex the panel a little to get it out. Don't be surprised if the panel shatters when you try to remove it. If it is not already cracked, it probably will be. Expensive to replace.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:11 PM

I am wanting to replace my cracked piece.
Yes, they are rather expensive, given it's a big piece of plastic
with no moving parts.
How about the headliner replacement?

Shoebox, you have provided many great answers, through the years, thank you very much.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:46 PM

Headliner is a one person job. I did the removal/install myself(2 would make it easier, but one can do it no problem). Just be gentle with it and go out the rear of the car with it.

I think I removed the visors, a-pillar covers, the plastic coat hangers at the top of the b-pillars, pull the top of the covers out a little, remove the seat belt guides(be careful...I cracked the board here, but the shop was able to repair it), and remove the trunk dome light. There is some factory plastic ball end "velcro" holding it up about the center....gentle pull and it should come right down....heck it may fall down from this point. As a side note, I have a hardtop Z28. No t-tops.

Getting it covered was another story.

I selected a shop that promised to match the color...and didn't. I pulled a bit of the stock headliner off before giving it to them so I could do a color comparison with what they put on it. They used what they had in stock and even admitted that they screwed up.

I bought the proper color headliner material myself and asked them to redo it(labor free). They did, but when I asked about redoing my visors the guy told me that they didn't want to do any more business with me because they couldn't satisfy me.

I almost went off on them....but stopped my big mouth from opening, took my headliner, and walked out.

Beats all I've ever seen. I pay ~100 for the right color headliner material, absorb that cost myself, to help fix their screw up, and they have the nerve to tell me I'm too picky for wanting it done right? Dude even said "Why didn't you provide the material in the first place?" I then said "Because you promised me you would match the color.....but you didn't" He then said "Well that is true."

They honored their promise to redo the work, but pissed me off afterwards with trying to shift the blame of their screw up on me for being "too hard to please".....but I'm not bitter!!!!!

A-1 Auto Trim in Greensboro, NC. The workmanship was good, but there are some color blind people working in that place.....

I got the correct headliner material from Stockinteriors.com. The color is spot on the money(graphite for my car). You can get a covered plastic headliner rather than the stock fiberboard one from them....not sure on the quality and thickness of that one though....however the headliner material and color was very good in my case.

The plastic vent grills over the defroster for my dash cover have pulled apart on their own. Several snapped in the middle and depending on the temp, they have very visible gap or none at all...That thing really does expand and contract with temp. So....I'll be replacing mine in the future too. That thing is expensive.......~$300 from GM.

Last edited by ACE1252; 05-28-2013 at 11:10 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:29 AM

ACE1252, thanks for the reply.
I have owned this car since new, and getting most any work done is a battle here in rural North MS. I was contemplating a complete headliner from some one like year one etc and doing it myself. This car is kept in an enclosed garage for 95 % of the time and I still got a crack in that gigantic dash panel. All that glass acts as a greenhouse, as you know. My car has no T-tops and it has got to be one of the hottest cars to try to cool in the summers.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by billy-94z28
ACE1252, thanks for the reply.
I have owned this car since new, and getting most any work done is a battle here in rural North MS. I was contemplating a complete headliner from some one like year one etc and doing it myself. This car is kept in an enclosed garage for 95 % of the time and I still got a crack in that gigantic dash panel. All that glass acts as a greenhouse, as you know. My car has no T-tops and it has got to be one of the hottest cars to try to cool in the summers.
Yeah, Mine is garaged now too and it still developed the cracks in the vent grills with no abuse whatsoever(didn't have them before garaging it). Funny how things in this world just fall apart over time.

LoL, including us!!!!